Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AppleCare on the cheap?

AppleCare on the cheap?
Thraxes
Apr 24, 2007, 04:26 PM

So here in Germany AppleCare for my MBP costs 365 Euros - or 500$$ !! *ouch*

But my flat-mate is american and Apple care at Amazon USA comes in at a cool 299$ which in Euros is exactly the same amount she pays me for rent each month. So you can see where this is going...

Plan is to get her parents to order the box, email me the reg number and send the contents and receipt via snail mail in the next care package to their daughter. Is this plan workable? I should hope so!
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

Dazed
Apr 26, 2007, 02:55 AM

not sure i understand. you will be buying applecare from US for an existing German bought MBP ?

Will they honor an American Applecare in Germany ? When you buy applecare do they ask for the system its for ? if so will they even allow an overseas system ?

Good luck, hope it all works out

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2007, 03:05 AM

I know lots of people who buy AppleCare elsewhere, even outside their countries of purchase/use. Some friends of mine buy AppleCare from Hong Kong for their US-bought MacBooks/MacBook Pros/Mac Minis. I bought my MacBook in Canada but purchased AppleCare a month later in the US.

I think so long as the serial number is recognized by Apple and the AppleCare, it should be good. I've bought 2 AppleCare Protection Plans (iBook/MacBook and PowerBook/MacBook Pro) on eBay for $100 less than retail and have been able to use them.

AppleCare is honored world-wide, and all an Apple-Authorized service/repair center needs to do is check if the unit's serial number has an associated APP enrollment number with it.

highstakes
Senior User
Apr 26, 2007, 03:06 AM

I figured US Apple Care would be limited to NA Sku's or something like that.

howiej
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2007, 11:11 PM

Where is the best place to find "discounted AppleCare" for a MacBook Pro? I can't do eBay since I despise PayPal. Are there other options?

Thanks

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2007, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by howiej View Post
Where is the best place to find "discounted AppleCare" for a MacBook Pro? I can't do eBay since I despise PayPal. Are there other options?
$50 off at Amazon - Amazon.com: AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro/Powerbook MA515LL/A 3 Years: Electronics

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 6, 2007, 01:43 AM

Apple Portables have a global warranty. The AppleCare is also global, but must be purchased in the country of residence. Only way I can think around this is if the computer was purchased in the U.S., you could then register the computer with AppleCare from the U.S. But, you'll probably end up with problems if you try to register a U.S. purchased AppleCare in Germany with a computer purchased in Germany.

rjt1000
Senior User
May 6, 2007, 10:20 AM

Applecare on the cheap? Just a heads up for those buying a new Mac: many Visa cards (check yours) will double the manufacturers warranty when you use it for the purchase. So you get 2 years of Apple warranty instead of 1. Not bad for free.

Forum Links
Forum Rules