Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > VHS, VHS-C to iMac

VHS, VHS-C to iMac
Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2002, 12:06 AM

Sooooo, how would i go about getting material from a VCR or VHS-C tape into my new iMac G4? I want to be able to import the footage, maybe do some editing with Final Cut Pro or iMovie, and then burn with iDVD. Thanks!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

dav
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2002, 07:53 AM

you need a media converter. sony makes one,
sony
and there's one by dazzle
dazzle

may be others. they'll convert your analog signal to digital (video capture) and back (so you can record your imovie on vhs). standard rca plugs to analog device, firewire to digital device (more details at the websites). expect to pay around $300.
one post closer to five stars

nitram_again
Apr 26, 2002, 08:58 AM

Alternatively, borrow a DV camera that has analog in. Many Sonys have analog pass through so you can digitise analog and spit it into your Mac all in one go, without using tape as an intermediary.

Just plug your camera's analog out into the DV camera's analog in and hit the appropriate buttons according to your user's manual, and bob's your uncle!

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: nitram_again ]
_ _ _ _____________ _ _ _
Martin

Tristrami
Senior User
Apr 26, 2002, 09:36 AM

I use the dazzle DV-bridge, and it works really well. Make sure that the VCR that your use has S-video out and spend the extra $30-$50 for the good A/V cables...it makes a tremendous difference in picture and sound quality when you transfer VHS to DV. Good luck.

hab
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2002, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by dav:
<STRONG>you need a media converter. sony makes one,
sony
and there's one by dazzle
dazzle

may be others. they'll convert your analog signal to digital (video capture) and back (so you can record your imovie on vhs). standard rca plugs to analog device, firewire to digital device (more details at the websites). expect to pay around $300.</STRONG>

I am also in the market for a means to transfer from VHS to my iMac. Anybody know what additional features you get from the $300 options above compared to the $100 option by belkin. Thanks.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

Frumpy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2002, 07:03 PM

yeah, really. Why spend the extra $200?
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

Paul S
Senior User
Apr 30, 2002, 11:25 AM

The Belkin is USB, the others are FireWire. Most USB capture devices do 320x240 resolution. FireWire allows for full 720x480 DV resolution. The quality difference is well worth the money. USB really stinks for any video purposes.

Frumpy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2002, 12:15 PM

aaaahhhh, that's right. And the Sony machine for $300 is firewire, right? Well, then the Sony is definately the choice to make.

Paul S
Senior User
Apr 30, 2002, 02:40 PM

Sony recently discontinued the Media Converter with no replacement (at least not yet). My company used to sell them and we've asked Sony many times, but they won't tell us anything. There are still some out in the channel. I'd get that too (I have one and love it). The Dazzle is also very good. The only thing about it that I don't like is that there are connections on the front and back, while the Sony has them all on the back. The Dazzle therefore doesn't have a clean look to it once everything is connected. My cables are all hidden behind my Sony and the shelf above it. It looks really clean that way. I'm really anal about that, but when you own the best looking computers on the market, who wants a messy desk?

Forum Links
Forum Rules