Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 45)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2013, 05:30 PM

My comment was made with the cadence of a sad, lonely trombone.

Soooooo...Destiny?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2013, 05:34 PM

Ahhh...and speaking of Destiny...

I read several articles on it, and even listened to a full podcast, but I still don't know exactly what the crap that game is going to be. A MMO shooter that isn't a MMO shooter that has single-player, but must be online, and some locations trigger matchmaking, and missions can be activated, but this game still isn't a MMO shooter.

Considering the similarities between the (supposed) PS4 and 720 techs, it seems the primary reason it wouldn't be feasible for cross-system play to exist for a game like Destiny would be the locked-down nature of XBL. Of course, I'm a hardware and networking idiot, so this is likely an ignorant opinion, but that's where my mind goes when I hear someone break down the hardware.

And yes, I've read P's comments in their entirety.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2013, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
My comment was made with the cadence of a sad, lonely trombone.

Soooooo...Destiny?
I'm certainly intrigued. I've always wanted persistence. Back in the CoD days I wanted an online version with Planetside like territories to fight for.

Still, we're just a Halo-jump away from me turning my back on it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2013, 05:41 PM

Sorry for the post barrage, but I have one more comment to include about the PS4 unveil today:

The marketing material for the event has been nice and minimalistic. The blue/black really harkens back to the PS2's color scheme.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm certainly intrigued. I've always wanted persistence. Back in the CoD days I wanted an online version with Planetside like territories to fight for.
Absolutely. This is what Dust 514 appeared to be on the PS3/PC, but I didn't stick with it.

Still, we're just a Halo-jump away from me turning my back on it.
I'm not worried about that.......yet.

It does look unique, stylistically. We'll just have to wait and see about gameplay.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2013, 06:00 PM

I'm intrigued by what Bungie is showing, but they've been really vague about what it is. It sounds like they've got alot of mysteries in the story of the new Destiny universe.

I'll just wait and see...

The Earth with that spherical ship above it reminds me of the Marathon symbol.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2013, 06:18 PM

Sorry for the post barrage, but I have one more comment to include about the PS4 unveil today:
The marketing material for the event has been nice and minimalistic. The blue/black really harkens back to the PS2's color scheme.
Explanations required.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2013, 07:00 PM

Waiting for the live stream to kick in, it's a looping animation so far.

Wait, we have music' it's going to be up and running soon. (Feed from Joystiq)

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2013, 09:02 PM

Bungie. Destiny. PS4.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2013, 09:08 PM

2 hour show, saw the Dual Shock 4 controller and the kinect type 3D camera, no sign of what the console actually looks like.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2013, 11:08 PM

PS4 officially is set for a holiday 2013 release date.

Confirmed PS4 games:
Beyond: Two Souls
Deep Down
Destiny
Diablo 3
Drive Club
Final Fantasy (PS4)
Infamous Second Son
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
The Witness
Watch Dogs

"PS4 uses the X86 CPU and has 8GB of memory and a local hard drive. It uses APU technology and GDDR5 memory, which is typically reserved for "top of the line, high end graphics cards. PlayStation 4 supports suspending and reloading play sessions. The console has a secondary chip for uploading and downloading in the background. Digital games can be played as they are being downloaded."

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2013, 11:12 PM

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2013, 02:17 AM

Ummmm.... So its a PC from the hardware perspective, with an emphasis on social?

As an exclusive single player, i wasnt mpressed with the presentation. All i wanted out of it was one must-have title.

Guess i'll have to wait till E3 to formulate my opinion.

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2013, 02:34 AM

It seems that, lately, companies are full of a bunch of executives who don't "get" social media, but are treating it as a buzzword and so we keep getting this force-fed Facebook integration crap. It's like those fridges with touch screens that let you tweet when you're out of milk...

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2013, 04:48 AM

Wonder what senior Microsoft Xboxers are thinking atm.

I didn't see or follow any live blogs of the event, but it seems from a quick read this morning, to have been quite a disappointment.

P
Feb 21, 2013, 05:29 AM

8 GB of GDDR5 is even more than what the rumors said - and no price announced. I wonder how one should read that - as a little treat to save as a spoiler for later, or something bury and let leak out if it is high?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2013, 09:15 AM

probably waiting for MS to announce their price first OR hoping prices come down on components before they announce.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

P
Feb 21, 2013, 09:49 AM

It is possible that they're hoping for higher capacity GDDR5 chips to become available, but that they're not quite certain yet that they will be there in capacity for a hard launch this holiday season. Higher capacity chips means fewer chips on the motherboard which would mean a lower cost. In case those chips don't materialize, they would have to use a different, pricier motherboard.

I doubt that that is the case, though. I just think that they want to stay in the news, so they'll announce the price a little later and show the box at a new event etc.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 21, 2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
8 GB of GDDR5 is even more than what the rumors said - and no price announced. I wonder how one should read that - as a little treat to save as a spoiler for later, or something bury and let leak out if it is high?
It's smart. No matter how good or amazing a machine is, all they'll talk about is the price when announced. Let the machine be judged on its features first.

But yeah, more RAM does imply more expensive than previously imagined.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 21, 2013, 10:48 AM

Pretty. They thickened up the arms.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Feb 21, 2013, 11:18 AM

Not Impressed.

Although it could have been much worse I didn't see anything that said... you need this.

I felt as if the technical overview and "social" integration was expected, although I am happy with the dualshock 4, seems to be a good evolution along with some new tech.

As Dakar said I had zero expectation of a price but was thinking a Vita price drop announcement was a forgone conclusion.

Although they presented a decent first party line up with some good 3rd party support (Watch Dogs, Destiny) I think we deserved more gameplay footage, including a live demo of one of these "killer" apps.

Since today the internet is exploding with analysis and media I was shocked that they left out the hardware, in the least get the media buzz and highlight your "next gen" home entertainment solution. Plaster gaming and tech sites with the image of your must have tech.

EDIT: Watch Dogs...please live up to the hype this game is Person of Interest (not sure if anyone watches this show) on steroids

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 21, 2013, 11:21 AM

The triggers on the controller still look like shit compared the XBOX.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Feb 21, 2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The triggers on the controller still look like shit compared the XBOX.
Good point, it will be interesting to see what the evolution of the Xbox controller is.

We all know where it started compared to where it is....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 21, 2013, 11:41 AM

As far as form factor, hopefully none.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2013, 11:53 AM

I didn't think that it was good at first, but the left thumbstick being where it is feels so 'right'. I suppose you can get used to anything.

P
Feb 21, 2013, 11:54 AM

Next Xbox controller:

I know I keep on about that one, but it's amusing how ahead of its time the NES Max was.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2013, 12:36 PM

Holy crap, you people are curmudgeons.

The PS4 Dual Shock has significantly better R2/L2 triggers, the joysticks are concave, the handles are thickened and rounded, some grips are added (I feel like half the tension I put on my PS3/360 controllers is keeping my hands from slipping off, though it's worse on the PS3), the touchscreen opens up some subtle possibilities, the share button and integrated editing service is going to eliminate the need for a cumbersome CoD Theater-type mode, and the D-pad is still the best in the business. Raising the left thumbstick is mostly an issue among scoffing 360-centric gamers. The controller looks fantastic. Lastly (and this shouldn't be overlooked), it includes a headphone jack, which means people everywhere can use their existing headphones for games. This means they can use the annoying Beats by Dre headphones you see on every 14-year-old everywhere, but also Apple earbuds, Skull Candy, and whoever else makes headphones with integrated microphones.

Take a close look at the handles:

The Killzone: Shadow Fall footage looked incredible, and has been confirmed as being in-engine. Infamous: Second Son is following up on my second-favorite series from the past generation, and it blows my mind that they haven't gotten the love they deserve, which is probably due to Sony's marketing failures, IMHO. Destiny and Watch Dogs are going to be cross-platform, obviously, but the fact remains that we've seen the next-gen versions first on PS4. Diablo 3 was announced for both PS3 and PS4, and this "strategic partnership" COULD be exclusive to Sony (we'll know for sure later). The two disappointments were probably the Final Fantasy non-announcement and whatever the crap the Knack thing is.

Shuhei Yoshida confirmed to Colin Moriarty of IGN that out of the twelve exclusively-Sony developers, all twelve are busy making PS4 titles.

The developers currently working on PS4 titles:

The hardware is better than rumored, which gives developers more to be excited about. As for the social media, we don't really know exactly what it'll be until later, but the user page is definitely a step up:

(important to trophy whores: the user level, percentage, trophy counts)

Complaining "Is that all?" in regards to yesterday's event...do you think it's a good idea for them to have nothing to talk about at PAX, GDC, and E3?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 21, 2013, 12:39 PM

Holy crap, you people are curmudgeons.
Oh stop.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2013, 12:56 PM

Forgot:

- There's no more booting. You can launch directly into your game where you left off as soon as you power up the PS4.
- Friends can watch as you play, the video streaming directly to their console.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 21, 2013, 12:57 PM

- There's no more booting. You can launch directly into your game where you left off as soon as you power up the PS4.
But how will Treyarch remind us they developed Black Ops 1000 times?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 21, 2013, 01:06 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2013, 01:14 PM

For comparison:

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2013, 01:18 PM

Forgot:

- Friends can watch as you play, the video streaming directly to their console.
You also forgot the assist feature where you can have a friend actually take over and control the game for you in difficult situations and also watch you play and talk you through levels live.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
You also forgot the assist feature where you can have a friend actually take over and control the game for you in difficult situations and also watch you play and talk you through levels live.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2013, 02:58 PM

Just glossed over the specs, and i could be mistaken, but does the PS4's CPU seems to be less powerful than the PS3's (number crunching)?

EDIT: Not CPU , but GPU performance
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Feb 21, 2013 at 03:54 PM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Just glossed over the specs, and i could be mistaken, but does the PS4's CPU seems to be less powerful than the PS3's (number crunching)?
Where are you getting CPU flops info from? Or any other CPU figures besides cores, and bits.

P
Feb 21, 2013, 03:48 PM

We don't know the floating point performance of the Jaguar core (or at least I don't, but Anandtech will supposedly be writing about it soon enough) but the integer performance should at least be superior to the Cell. I suspect that the increased memory bandwidth alone will be enough for the PS4 to win any reasonable benchmark.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Where are you getting CPU flops info from? Or any other CPU figures besides cores, and bits.
Oh my bad.... It seems however the GPUs have similar number crunching performance...

PS3 Specs 1.8 TFLOPS

PS4 Specs 1.84 TFLOPS
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Feb 21, 2013 at 04:53 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 21, 2013, 05:12 PM

Sony’s Shu Yoshida talks PlayStation 4: PS3/PSN compatibility, microtransactions, and more | GamesBeat
GamesBeat: Is The Last Guardian still a PS3 title?

Yoshida: I’m not ready to talk about that … sorry. We’ve broken promises. we are waiting for the right to time reintroduce The Last Guardian. I’m not going to say anything beyond what [The Last Guardian lead designer Fumito] Ueda said.
lololol

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2013, 11:39 PM

I can seriously see people making a business out of this and charging dumb ass players who are willing to pay for the help/farming. Not that a form of this already exists anyways.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2013, 03:42 AM

This generation set the standard for "wallet rape", so I wouldn't be surprised of any extra charge for anything.

P
Feb 22, 2013, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Oh my bad.... It seems however the GPUs have similar number crunching performance...

PS3 Specs 1.8 TFLOPS

PS4 Specs 1.84 TFLOPS
That PS3 number looks funny. The PS3 GPU was a nerfed version of the Geforce 7800 GTX, and the consensus online seems to be about 165 GFLOPS for that chip.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2013, 09:42 AM

That PS3 number looks funny. The PS3 GPU was a nerfed version of the Geforce 7800 GTX, and the consensus online seems to be about 165 GFLOPS for that chip.
Oh, fair enough. I hope we see some titles(at least 1 at launch) which makes use of it.

I'm liking the thinking behind the DS4, the design looks ergonomic, it's familiar and hat touch sensitive area could serve as a good way to navigate menus/OS via a mouse pointer if needed. Apparently it's 'clickable'.... i'm already picturing Star Craft 2

I finally watched the whole conference, and no game really appealed to me (exclusively single player). I wished they had shown something about the Last Guardian (FinalDakar.. f-you dude! ). However, that Capcom Deep Down concept looked good.

Cheers

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2013, 10:07 AM

This generation set the standard for "wallet rape", so I wouldn't be surprised of any extra charge for anything.
If it catches on, it won't take long til publishers like EA offer official experts likely based in india to guide you through the game.

Unlikely, but I hope Sony's security is up to snuff on this. Nothing would be funnier than an epidemic of hackers trolling players by taking over their games and ****ing them over.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2013, 10:10 AM

Complaining "Is that all?" in regards to yesterday's event...do you think it's a good idea for them to have nothing to talk about at PAX, GDC, and E3?
No one asked them to hold this event. Certainly, no one was expecting it.

P
Feb 22, 2013, 10:21 AM

. Latest rumors about the PS4 hardware say that the GPU is basically a Radeon 7850, but with some shaders reserved for compute tasks, which makes little sense (7850 is 16 CU, PS4 is supposedly 18 but with 4 reserved for compute).
Sony didn't really comment on a lot of the rumors, but they did deny this one: There are no shaders reserved for compute:

Originally Posted by http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/130221a_e.html
The GPU contains a unified array of 18 compute units, which collectively generate 1.84 Teraflops of processing power that can freely be applied to graphics, simulation tasks, or some mixture of the two.
All shaders freely configurable. Since this means that it's basically a Radeon 7850 (actually it is a "7860" - somewhere inbetween 7850 and 7870 - based on the number of shaders, but given the published TFLOPS, it seems Sony will clock it down a little to save on cooling reqs, effectively matching the 7850 quite closely), we can make some predictions on the sort of performance we can get out of it:

AnandTech - AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition & Radeon HD 7850 Review: Rounding Out Southern Islands

30fps@1080p seems more than doable even in shooters with all the pretties turned up.

Sony also denied that they would block used games, but left the door open that publishers might want to block things themselves (like the online passes EA et al have been pushing for a year or so now).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2013, 11:51 AM

So a bit of premature analysis.

Sony's done well here. Everything they've shown is good for gaming or gaming related. The controller takes some risks, but I think they're minimal and have no real downside. They've decided to blunt MS only theoretical advantage in hardware by having 8 GB of RAM.

Now the truth: The sharing is nice, but if Halo and CoD taught me anything, its that its hard enough to remember to look at your gameplay files before or after the nights gameplay. I don't see many people interrupting their gameplay session to share video. It's very immersion and session breaking.

Second, I already hear bitching that move is included on the controller. Does it add to the cost? Will it even be used, or is it this gen's SIXAXIS?

The bad? There's no way they've added all that RAM and it doesn't effect the price negatively. I'm not sure why Sony decided to go with 8GB when they already appeared to be in the 'lead' based on rumored specs, but one has to hope it doesn't bite them on the ass here.

---

Heads-up against a theoretical 720, the PS4 pretty much beats it everywhere. Sony has continued its dedication to making games having the best hardware and free online. MS looks poised to continue to push the 720 as a multimedia machine, but I'm not sure what 'must haves' they could offer even from that perspective. The rumored (and IMO unlikely) inclusion of a DVR is honestly one gen too late in an era of cord cutting.

The big (and I mean big) play here is if they can debut at $299. Sony was unlikely to compete at that price point to begin with, and with their technological play to match the XBOX even on RAM numbers, the gap may be significant. Given the lack of a headstart this time around, it may be MS best play to retain control of the market this gen. The big question mark is the inclusion of the other maligned motion system – kinect. Word is 2.0 will be included in every box, and given the original's $99 price tag, its hard not to worry that the new version won't uselessly inflate the price of MS' new offering. Being able to chop $50 off the price is huge. They will have to justify its existence as part of the console from a non-gaming perspective from the get go.

On pretty much every other bullet point, Sony will have them beat (I'm assuming they'll have Party Chat). I think we could very well see this gen start much like the one previous, only to see numbers reverse much earlier and Sony take a strong lead as the gamers platform if MS' offering or dedication is weak and Sony's hardware advantage gets put on display early enough.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2013, 12:14 PM

ACtually there is one thing MS could do that'd wow me. If the 720 is backwards compatible that I can play 360 multiplayer games online with my friends who haven't bought the new console yet, that'd go a long way towards persuading me to upgrade without having negative repercussions.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2013, 01:26 PM

Sony also denied that they would block used games, but left the door open that publishers might want to block things themselves (like the online passes EA et al have been pushing for a year or so now).
Sony tells Eurogamer: PlayStation 4 will not block used games • News • PlayStation 4 • Eurogamer.net

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2013, 04:48 PM

Durango reveal coming in April. Lotta time to wait.

Forum Links
Forum Rules