Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > URK....Gotta hate that Key Lime!

URK....Gotta hate that Key Lime!
MacNZ
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2000, 06:16 AM

Wow, new iBooks!
Let's have a look at the good things!
- Firewire Port
- Better graphics (8Mb)
- Faster processors
- Larger Hard Drive
- DVD option

.....not bad......but then the cons....
- Still evidently limited to 800 by 600 screen resolution
- Still heavy (ain't worry me but others complain)
- Still no AV input.
- No S-video (not like we had any show of getting it anyway.
- Key Lime sux. (Is it supposed to make me hungry or something?)

So basically it's mostly good news. I'm sure I missed a few other points. Oh....they used those new IBM processors I think with the onboard cache. Well basically I ain't getting one because the screen still sux + like S-video. As I speak I haven't heard of new PowerBooks but they'd better come. iBooks being faster than PowerBooks won't do!
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

The Dude
Banned
Sep 13, 2000, 06:35 AM

Um, the iBooks DO have Video out now. It's video composite.
http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html

Check under Video at the bottom.

------------------
Paranoia-
You only have to be right once to make it all worthwhile

-Unknown

NDBounce
Senior User
Sep 13, 2000, 10:26 AM

Are you crazy? I love that key lime! It makes me ready to trade up from my blueberry iBook!!

CyberGreg
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2000, 10:53 AM

Key Lime kicks ass!!!

It will complement my Lime iMac just fine, thank you very much!!!

466 Mhz, 10 GB & FireWire this is just what I've been waiting for!!!

YIPEE!!!

------------------
PC's are popular... MAC's Rule!
Mac's Rule!

13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 120GB
13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 80GB
Mac Mini PVR, 1.66Ghz w/2GB, eyeTV 2.0, 100GB HD and 50" DLP
Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz (before Apple released one) w/2GB, 80GB HD and 20" LCD

Shadow
Sep 13, 2000, 10:55 AM

The Apple front page really kicked in my hangover. I though flouresenct colors went out in the 80's.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2000, 11:08 AM

A-hem. Got my order in this morning. Wanna guess which one?

WhaMe
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2000, 01:56 PM

I have to disagree. I love the Key Lime. I was jonesing for a Tangerine iBook this summer, but decided to wait for the impending new models to be released. I was afraid I was going to have to settle for Ruby, Sage or even worse, Graphite. I'm glad that I can get a top of the line iBook in something other than Graphite or Snow.

Doug

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2000, 02:24 PM

quote from apple/ibook:
Video
Composite video output to TV through AV port
do you think that is a type-o? I wonder where it is located?

iMight
Sep 13, 2000, 03:14 PM

I l-o-v-e the lime too, the last of the fruity colors! Only sore spot is that SE Key Limes lose some exclusivity by sharing looks with base iBooks.

Let's bow our heads and have a moment of silence for Tangerine. Moreover, the Apple Store is now sold out on their 'Back to School' Tangerine closeouts.

------------------
- iMight
------------------

britton
Sep 13, 2000, 03:54 PM

i agree completely. key lime is beautiful. competitive pricing, dvd, standard firewire, video out, better graphics, and 10 gb hard drives. excellent.

Rev A
Sep 13, 2000, 04:35 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with the new iBooks, however, I might be biased by the fact that my Tang. Rev A is now obsolete

Cipher13
Sep 13, 2000, 07:31 PM

That green is just... gaudy!
I wouldn't be caught walking around with that... you'd have bloody helicopters circling over you to land!
Damn, does it glow in the dark too?!?
Gimme graphite or even indigo anyday over 'key lime'.

Cipher13

pfflam
Sep 13, 2000, 09:48 PM

For those of you who don't know, composite video is now s-video. the output is not as strong....however it's hard for me to think of a reason why you would want s-video out if you have Firewire, it makes sense if you have an s-video camera and are using beta cam and broadcastt equipment etc but I would think that if your going to use an iBook you probably woul have a DV camcorder....

Key Lime? if you don't like it, (and I personaly don't) don't buy it...there is graphite to go with you tux and tails

pfflam
Sep 13, 2000, 09:50 PM

oops...I thought I typed "is NOT S-Video"

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2000, 10:04 PM

Holy crap! i want a new iBook.. i don't care which color.. i still like my rev. A blueberry, but jeez, those new ones are great... if only money grew on trees

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2000, 10:44 PM

The really cool part is that you plug headphones into the A/V port it acts like a normal headphone jack.

Plug in the adapter cable and it's both video and audio!

Reminds me of the Powerbook where you plug in a phone cable and it it's a modem, plug in an ethernet cable and it hooks up to the network...

drewman

Phaedrus
Sep 13, 2000, 11:07 PM

This iBook totally rocks! I really wan't one bad. If only I had the dough....I'd be gettin' a PMG4 for my desk, and the iBook for portable.

The video out is a much needed feature, I don't care if its "S" or not, as long as I can plug into an LCD proj./TV. The DVD is bonus--basically its a portable DVD player, kick-ass feature for anywhere, especially dorms. Everytime a student hangs w/friends to watch a DVD movie with their iBook and a case of beer, that's advertising for Apple. Everytime a student whips it out and plugs-in for a presentation, that's advertising for Apple.

KeyLime? Yeah, its ugly, but who cares as long as there's the graphite to fall back on?

------------------

Rohith
Sep 14, 2000, 12:04 AM

The new iBook is pretty much just what I wanted. DVD, check. Firewire, check. Video out, check. Plus, it's through A/V ports, rather than S-Video, so I can connect it to more TV's (the one in my room is a 19-inch with just A/V jacks). I'm glad I decided to wait until now rather than getting the 400 mgz Powerbook. Cheaper and looks cooler. I'm getting an extra 128 megs of ram, so the limiting 64 megs won't be an issue for me. Sure the monitor is a bit small, but I'm coming from a Rev. A iMac, and I always kept that at 800x600, so it's not really a big deal for me. Plus, the ability to just plug it into any TV when I want to play games or watch a DVD is VERY nice. Oh yeah, I'm getting the graphite. I'm ordering from MacWarehouse. The $100+ I would be spending on tax (apparently Apple has a presence in Michigan too) is not worth it. Lime would be cool, but I'm afraid I would get sick of it after a while. I'm not really a bright green person. I would've liked it if Ruby or Snow came out for the iBook since I liked those colors, but oh well.

[This message has been edited by Rohith (edited 09-14-2000).]

wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2000, 02:22 AM

yum, Key Lime... one helluva pie

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2000, 02:30 AM

I have to agree. Key lime is a wonderful pie. I don't think it is wonderful for computers. But hey, if you want people to chase you down the street throwing rocks at you for carrying a neon green computer, then by all means be my guest

Wlonh, where you been, I thought maybe the forces of evil had snatched you up....
Nemo me impune lacesset

Tasha
Sep 14, 2000, 02:53 AM

Let's see I ordered my new ibook yesterday also. Man it was hard to choose which color I wanted. So I choose Indigo sorta having second thoughts oh well. And I agree the lime is out of site it stoped me dead in my tracks when I first saw them good job apple. And stop all that complaning if you dont like the lime or even the ibook u dont have to buy one you need to give credit wheN credit is due. Any ways I whish they would make the special edittion in Indigo too but anyways im still happy with my choice.

[This message has been edited by Tasha (edited 09-14-2000).]

MacNZ  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2000, 06:10 AM

My PERSONAL opinion is still that Key Lime sux!
I am pleased to hear about that composite video though. I might be swayed to get a graphite iBook. I mean currently the new SE is soooo.... much better a deal than a PowerBook. Is the resolution limited to 800x600 cos the display itself sux so much>? I mean my PB 500 with 8MB V-RAM has 1024x768 max resolution.

Also, I suppose there is still no way to work the system in with an external monitor!?

Overall.....thrilled about new advancements but shattered about the P'Book only getting a hard drive update!
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Sep 14, 2000, 07:26 AM

Does anyone know if the AV cable comes with the iBook or is it extra charge?

This AV connection is exactly the same as on my Optura Digital camera (and probably a lot of others, too) so at least I know what it looks like.

------------------
Dan
Michigan Lincoln & Continental Owners Club
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Fdanna
Sep 14, 2000, 08:09 AM

Just got confirmation that my iBook SE shipped last night. Too bad FEDEX doesn't deliver on Saturday Anyway, the color choice was easy, Graphite! The key lime is eye catching but I can see myself either a)growing tired of it fast or b) embarrassed to walk on a plane and attract too much attention.

Apple is CRAZY for charging $200 for 64mb or ram!! I bought my ram at Memory to go for $113.....oh did I mention that it's $113 for 128mb dimm!!?? Apple almost doubles the price and gives you half the memory.

Yes the A/V cable is included.

[This message has been edited by Fdanna (edited 09-14-2000).]

Xaositect
Sep 14, 2000, 11:54 AM

I wouldn't buy the Key Lime, but I don't hate it.

I like the video out, firewire and DVD.

I don't like that you can't order the 20GB HDD upgrade without buying the overpriced RAM.

My 2�.

Xaositect
Sep 14, 2000, 11:55 AM

I wouldn't buy the Key Lime, but I don't hate it.

I like the video out, firewire and DVD.

I don't like that you can't order the 20GB HDD upgrade without buying the overpriced RAM.

My 2�.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2000, 12:03 PM

True, Apple's price is high for memory, among other things. I was going to buy the QPS Firewire CD-RW from the Applestore with my iBook, but they wanted $399. I went to Outpost.com and got the same thing for $309 (after rebate), plus it comes with a spindle of 50 blank CDs!

And if you don't like Key Lime, don't buy one. Otherwise STFU.

dressed2distress
Sep 19, 2000, 10:28 AM

When I saw Apple's graphic of the three new iBook colors, the first thing I thought of was the resemblance to the color scheme of the Cobalt Qube. Subtle thanks from Apple for the lawsuit?

Forum Links
Forum Rules