Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Lombard 400Mhz Questions

Lombard 400Mhz Questions
MacNZ
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2001, 12:17 AM

Hi. I'm a student and I am looking at buying a second hand Lombard Powerbook but I had a few questions.

1) All Pismo model batteries and drive modules are compatible with the Lombard too aren't they?
2) The Lombard has one standard SO-DIMM slot and one low-profile slot. How far can I max the memory out? I know you can get (expensive) 256Mb low profile DIMMs and the other slot will accept PC100 SDRAM (albeit running slower). Does this mean it would recognise a 512Mb DIMM or only a 256MB DIMM?
3) Is the SCSI bus fast enough to run my old 4x CD-R or Snapscan 310 scanner off of?
4) What is the likelihood of upgrades coming out for Lombard series PB's as opposed to Pismo's?
5) Is this system good enough when it comes to graphics for use with projectors etc? I know it's performance is pretty pedestrian compared to the Pismo.

Thanks,

Peter C.
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 6, 2001, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by MacNZ:
Hi. I'm a student and I am looking at buying a second hand Lombard Powerbook but I had a few questions.

1) All Pismo model batteries and drive modules are compatible with the Lombard too aren't they?
Almost all are. You can't use a DVD drive from a Pismo in the Lombard, according to Apple. That's the only exception I know of.
2) The Lombard has one standard SO-DIMM slot and one low-profile slot. How far can I max the memory out? I know you can get (expensive) 256Mb low profile DIMMs and the other slot will accept PC100 SDRAM (albeit running slower). Does this mean it would recognise a 512Mb DIMM or only a 256MB DIMM?
I don't think it'll support 512MB modules, but check Apple's spec database to be sure.
3) Is the SCSI bus fast enough to run my old 4x CD-R or Snapscan 310 scanner off of?
Plenty fast. Neither of those are demanding devices, and the Lombard's SCSI bus is a standard SCSI just like the external SCSI port on other power macs.
4) What is the likelihood of upgrades coming out for Lombard series PB's as opposed to Pismo's?
I doubt there will be a plethora of upgrades for either machine!
5) Is this system good enough when it comes to graphics for use with projectors etc? I know it's performance is pretty pedestrian compared to the Pismo.
Well, the Lombard's 3D performance lags behind the Pismo's, but the 2D performance it about the same. Unless you are talking about playing Unreal and Quake III, you won't notice a difference. As for connecting projectors, it works great, you get the option of video mirroring or dual display, using either the S-Video or the VGA port, plus the built-in LCD. By using an external keyboard and mouse you can also run it with an external display only, with the machine closed.

tooki

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2001, 11:38 AM

Powerlogix have announced availability of their Bluechip LS 500 MHz G3 / 1Mb cache upgrade for Lombards as late May 2001:

BlueChip LS compatible with the following computers (Apple family number M5343): Available late May, 2001
PowerBook G3 "Lombard" (333/177/512K) - Bronze Keyboard
PowerBook G3 "Lombard" (400/200/1Mb) - Bronze Keyboard
http://www.powerlogix.com/products/bluechip.html

wulf

Forum Links
Forum Rules