Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How do I watch TV on my powerbook?

How do I watch TV on my powerbook?
athom108
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2003, 10:10 PM

I have a titanium pb and I'm thinking if it's possible to watch tv on the pb with some kind of cable. I know there is usb type product that can be used, I think it's called MytV, but I don't want to go that route. Any ideas?

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2003, 10:14 PM

www.formac.com has a product...I believe it's like an analog to digital and vs. versa product as well as containing a 125 channel tuner that has an OS X application for recording and scheduling the recording of programs from tv.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2003, 10:39 PM

The Formac av/dv converter interested me...and the rez is much better than myTV, and its a firewire solution.

The bad news is...it costs $400

I'm going to wait for a version that'll support HDTV and perhaps Firewire 800...that'll protect my investment.
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 16, 2003, 10:46 PM

eyetv from elgato.com is a little cheaper and also will work.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Karim
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 10:49 PM

I've used all three products and my absolute recommendation to you is the El Gato eyeTV.

MyTV is junk

Formac is ok but over the top for you if all you want to do is watch tv and record programs to watch on the laptop.

athom108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2003, 11:03 PM

My pb is attached a 22" display. If I go into full screen mode, will the picture still be sharp or will there be those fuzzy digits that show up when you make something bigger.

Originally posted by Karim:
I've used all three products and my absolute recommendation to you is the El Gato eyeTV.

MyTV is junk

Formac is ok but over the top for you if all you want to do is watch tv and record programs to watch on the laptop.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 17, 2003, 02:08 AM

TV is in a format called NTSC. The native resolution of television programs is 720 x 480 at resolution of 72 ppi. There will be some stretching, but it shouldn't be that bad. Just don't sit too close to the screen.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Simian
Mar 17, 2003, 02:15 AM

I'm getting the eyeTV from El Gato it seems to be the cheapest and the best.
They say the mind bends and twists in order to deal with the horrors of life...
...Sometimes the mind bends so much it snaps in two. :)
TMB-PS2

Karim
Senior User
Mar 17, 2003, 03:04 AM

Well, I've got a 23"HD hooked up to my PBG4 and NTSC TV is actually 320x240 with interlacing which means every other line is repeated giving a total effective of 640x480.

Rather than blowing it up to the screens 1920x1440 I leave it as 320x240 which is the rez I record at (it could be 640x480 but I like the more compact filesizes) and find it looks great and I can use the rest of the screen space for other things.

If you did blow it up, it would be kind of grainy. But I'm not sure how bad because Its been a long time since I tried that. I'll give it a shot and see.

Forum Links
Forum Rules