Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What be this tune?

What be this tune?
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2010, 06:52 PM

So, I'm listening to some Slovenian pop and a few links over there's this. What be that tune? Anyone know?
( Last edited by Doofy; Jun 2, 2010 at 07:01 PM. )
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
So, I'm listening to some Slovenian pop
for the music or the ladies in the video?

and a few links over there's this. What be that tune? Anyone know?
The video's overlay advert says it is "Till I Collapse" by Eminem. Don't know if that is in fact the song but there you go.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
for the music or the ladies in the video?
For the musak. Work work work. You know how it is.

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
The video's overlay advert says it is "Till I Collapse" by Eminem. Don't know if that is in fact the song but there you go.
The overlay here is just a Nike ad.

Just checked. Yep, that be the tune. Thanks.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2010, 08:05 PM

Overlay advert?

Is this something to do with the YouTube redesign? I don’t see any overlay advert on that video at all, Nike or otherwise …

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Overlay advert?

Is this something to do with the YouTube redesign? I don’t see any overlay advert on that video at all, Nike or otherwise …
Pretty sure it's down to availability of locale-targeted ads.

I don't get an overlay on the first vid, but get the Nike stuff on the second.
Maybe someone in Slovenia would get a local ad over the first video but nothing over the second?
Maybe nobody wants to sell anything tennis-related into your neck of the woods?
<shrug>

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2010, 08:17 PM

Overlay advert?

I think the use of ads, and their specific content, is region and/or country specific. The typical YouTube ad, at least here in the States, fills the width of the video image and occupied the bottom 20% of the video image. There is a high degree of transparency to these ads and they disappear after 15-30 seconds. If a YouTube video contains music from a well-known artist, the video, in all likelihood, will have an overlay ad. In Doofy's linked video--the second one--the ad showed text links that would take you to the Amazon or iTunes music store to buy the music in the video.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2010, 08:23 PM

The typical YouTube ad, at least here in the States, fills the width of the video image and occupied the bottom 20% of the video image.
Yeah, I get those, too (you can click the little X in the top right corner of them to make the annoying blighters bugger off, by the way). Just never knew they were region specific. I always just thought they were placed on certain videos for everyone.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2010, 08:23 PM

This is what I saw when I viewed the video in Doofy's second link. The ad begins when the time-line gets to the yellow indicator line.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2010, 08:28 PM

Yeah, I get those, too (you can click the little X in the top right corner of them to make the annoying blighters bugger off, by the way). Just never knew they were region specific. I always just thought they were placed on certain videos for everyone.
Again, I think it has to do with region-specific marketing. I am in the US so my link would go to the US version of the iTunes store. If you were to see this ad it would go to the Danish version of the iTunes store. If you were to see the ad. As to why you don't see this ad, my guess is that you folks in Denmark, maybe in Scandinavia in general, aren't as consumerish as us folks in the US or England so you don't get as much targeted advertising as we do.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2010, 08:28 PM

You know what? I'm a complete tard.
It actually says the song name just above the comments. I guess I've got so used to completely blanking all the text in the vicinity of the comment section that my brain just didn't register it. Doh!

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2010, 08:33 PM

You know what? I'm a complete tard.
It actually says the song name just above the comments. I guess I've got so used to completely blanking all the text in the vicinity of the comment section that my brain just didn't register it. Doh!
I had wondered about that--whether or not you saw the artist name and song title right below the video--but gave you the benefit of the doubt that you had disabled seeing comments and thus did not see the relevant information. Looks like I was wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules