Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 22 vs 23 Inch Cinema Displays

22 vs 23 Inch Cinema Displays
DrDre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2002, 04:49 AM

Howdy, I was thinking of getting a new PowerMac and either a 22 or 23 inch screen. The difference is about $1000 and my local store does not carry the 23-inch display so I can't compare them directly. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I know the 23-inch is higher resolution, but are there any other obvious advantages?

Thanks for any info.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2002, 08:29 AM

Topic: displays
Forum: Peripherals

Thread moved

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2002, 08:35 AM

I've got both, get the 22" if your mostly dealing with text, its a little bit harder to read on the 23"...but FCP 3 and photoshop is a bit roomier with the 23"er.
Am I still here?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2002, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by JayTi:
I've got both, get the 22" if your mostly dealing with text, its a little bit harder to read on the 23"...but FCP 3 and photoshop is a bit roomier with the 23"er.
In your opinion is the 23" worth the added cost?

andrewbw
Sep 23, 2002, 01:41 PM

I finally saw the 23" display in person this weekend (made my first trip to an Apple Store. Not to sidetrack, but I found the Apple Store itself pretty underwhelming. My local CompUSA has more Mac software. The employees were a lot more helpful, pleasant and knowledgable, however).

First things first, the screen itself is gorgeous -- *very* bright, perfectly crisp and sharp. They had some sort of demo program running on it when I was there (it was hooked up to a MDD PowerMac) and even quick transitions in the video caused no perceivable ghosting. Truly stunning. I don't know that I would agree with Jay's assessment that text is hard to read on it -- but of course, that's subjective. To me, text appeared perfectly sharp and readable, and no less so than the 22" display.

All that being said, I don't know that I would chose the 23 inch display over the 22 inch, even if money weren't an object. While the extra screen real estate would be great, I found the sheer size of it simply overwhelming. It was hard for my eyes to "absorb" the entire screen at once, something that's important to me as I work in programs like Photoshop or Quark where an instant recognition of where palettes and the like are is critical. I don't get this feeling when using the 22 inch display -- it seems almost perfectly sized for extended professional use.

If I needed more screen space than the 22" display offered, I'd probably get a 22 and a 15 and use them in a dual monitor setup. You'd still save $400.

Hope this helps.

-A.
I'm not wearing any pants.

andymcdeee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2002, 04:46 PM

Get two 17" displays. Much greater room for far less money.

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2002, 06:29 PM

The 23" has a lot of improvements over the aging 22". Faster pixel response time. Higher contrast ratio. Higher brightness. Ability to show full HDTV resolution.

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2002, 06:41 PM

If you want 24" widescreen you could always get this:

1920x1200 resolution
24.1" LCD
DVI-D

$2600

It beats every single spec of the CinemaHD.

Not bad for $900 less.

http://www.sun.com/products-n-soluti....html#24.1inch

http://store.sun.com/catalog/doc/res...1&lineId=26828

Forum Links
Forum Rules