Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which Powerbook to get

Which Powerbook to get
DrDre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 04:55 PM

I have been wondering which powerbook to get to replace my TiPowerbook 667. Basically the options are:

1. 12 inch G4 + external display (20 inch LCD)
2. 15 inch G4 or
3. 17 inch G4

I use my PB mainly at work as a desktop, although I do travel a fair amount and may be traveling more in the upcoming year. My current PB does not have a built in CD burner which makes it less ideal for travel.

Anyone have any insight as to the pros-cons of each of the above setups? How hard is it to travel with the 17 inch PB?

Also, how well does the 12 inch PB run with the lid closed when connected to an external LCD? Does it get too hot with the lid closed?

Thanks for you help!

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by DrDre:
I have been wondering which powerbook to get to replace my TiPowerbook 667. Basically the options are:

2. 15 inch G4 or
3. 17 inch G4

I use my PB mainly at work as a desktop, although I do travel a fair amount and may be traveling more in the upcoming year. My current PB does not have a built in CD burner which makes it less ideal for travel.

Anyone have any insight as to the pros-cons of each of the above setups? How hard is it to travel with the 17 inch PB?

Also, how well does the 12 inch PB run with the lid closed when connected to an external LCD? Does it get too hot with the lid closed?

Thanks for you help!
For travel, option 1 or 2 is your best bet IMO. I have the 17 and after awhile, I wanted something smaller, lighter and easier to carry. The 17 is nice, but try working on it in coach. Not the greatest of ease. While the 17 is the flagship model, I prefer the 12. Connecting the 12 to an ACD makes it even more attractive to me.

The runs great with the lid close and connected to an ACD. I occasionally run my hand over the PB throughout the day to check the heat, and the unit runs fairly cool.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2003, 05:19 PM

I replaced my 667 with the 17" and while it is bigger and less convenient, I am glad I got it. It REALLY feels like a major upgrade from the 667. I gave that one to my wife and still go on it periodically - and it feels old, slow and actually TOO SMALL! So, I am glad I went with the 17 but everytime I lift it, move it, or pack it up I'm like WHOA - this puppy is BIG....

Whatver you do, you will love these products!!

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2003, 05:46 PM

Get a 17" 1GHz from the refurb store. $2199 is the best deal on the planet (while they have them). 1 year warranty and Panther.

I'm nagging my wife to get one and I pick up my custom 15" tomorrow
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

ProLyfic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 05:48 PM

If I had a choice I would go with the first option with the 12 and display. This option allows for the ease of being mobile because of how compact the 12 is, plus when you use the display, it gives you the desktop feel.

dirtraven
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by DrDre:

2. 15 inch G4 or
3. 17 inch G4

Comes down to can you use a 12" screen on the road. i personally got the 12" 1Ghz PB with the Superdrive. Benchamrk speed is about the same vs the 15" 1 GHz PB. I tend to use my on a train and the 12" is perfect for not getting in the person's lap next to me.

17" is basically great for graphic designers on the go or you live in a studio and need the desk space.

12" vs 15" difference is 800FW, PCMCIA (really why would you need it?) SVGA.

But that's my opinion.

enjoy

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 06:28 PM

Well for me I can�t work on a 12�PB because it�s too small. I am a graphics design student and I need the extra workspace. I cannot afford a 20�CD monitor form Apple. As far as the 17"PB is concerned, well it�s too big. It�s a real beauty, don�t get me wrong, however as a college student and a soldier (Active Duty) that has no car, and that relies on bikes, rail, and walking to get around I cannot justify buying that machine. When the end of this month comes, I will pick up a 15�PB. That should be comfortable. Plus I've already got the sleeve to fit it.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2003, 10:35 PM

17 inch

Depending on the physical constraints when you travel, ie. how much room you have for a laptop in your method of travel.

I've found that usually the problem is the space between you and the seat in-front of you, the depth of the laptop matters here. In this case, a 15" won't really help you because the depth of the 15" is nearly the same as the 17", it's just not as wide.

It is very easy to travel with the 17 inch PB, just need a nice backpack + sleeve . Personally I travel with one to and from work everyday (train).

I beleive all PBs now should do this.
It may get hotter, but it's all within the design specs.

Thanks for you help!

No Problem, and don't let anyone blindly tell you the 17" PB is "too big", evaluate whether or not you can use it. It's still the ultimate laptop...

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2003, 10:54 PM

Just my 2 cents. For me, I picked the 12" because I am a small guy(5'4" 120lbs) so 15" and 17" PB is a tad too heavy for me to carry around. Then again... Mini-Me picked the 17"...
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

DrDre  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 12:31 AM

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm leaning towards the 12 inch PB with the 80 GB HD for portability. I am just wondering for those who have the 12 inch PB, if it's significantly smaller than the 15 inch such that it allows you to take it to places that you might not otherwise? Can you just "throw it" into your backpack and actually get stuff done on the bus/train/plane.

In my expereience the 15inch TiBook is a little big for sitting in coach on airplanes, unless there is an empty tray table available.

Also is the harddrive fast enough (4200 rpm) to allow you to edit video and play back quicktime videos on the go?

Dr.Michael
Nov 7, 2003, 09:48 AM

I sold my TiBook 500 MHz a couple of weeks ago and work on a 12 inch/1GHz Powerbook now.
I also wanted to buy a 20 inch display to work in the office, but...

...the display of this little gorgous thing is so great that I really think about saving my money. And I am 38 and wear glasses since 32 years.

I also sold my TiBook because I travel at least once a week. The 15 inch TiBook was definitely hard to handle on the lap and it was far too easy to scratch or damage to carry it around.

The 12 inch model is - great.

Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules