Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > need advice about Palm PDA

need advice about Palm PDA
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2004, 02:59 PM

please, I need a Palm PDA, it must be fully Mac OS X compatible and not expensive, wich one?, thanks.

mikeini
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 03:42 PM

honestly it depends on what you are looking for and what "inexpensive" means.

the zire is palms low end models .. the zire 71 isnt too bad .. i think color screen (but not a big fan of the joystick).

the tungston t isnt bad either .. it really just depends on what you need and how you are goign to use it ....

so i guess more info?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2004, 04:37 PM

Zire 71 is great.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Jens Peter
Senior User
Feb 2, 2004, 07:26 PM

If all you need is a adressbook, notepad and a calender and nothing new and fancy like color screen and camera, then the good old Palm Vx /m500 is a cheap option. Get one used, and at least here in Denmark they are very cheap.

And it works great with OS X / iSync.

drews85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2004, 11:23 PM

i would say the best one for the money in the current lineup is the tungsten e. i have the zire 71 for the camera and love it but if i didnt want the camera the tungsten e is a great deal, in my opinion

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2004, 11:31 PM

Why do you need a crappy camera with a really low resolution in a PDA? All the camera does is jack the price up.

Go with the Tungsten line; even the low end one is spec'ed higher than the Zire 71, has more features, and can do anything the Zire 71 can do except take really grainy photos.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2004, 11:59 PM

Thanks for your input.

No camera please !!!

It must be Bluetooth ready and work with my Al 17 PB of course.

Tusteng line looks nice. The new T3 is only a few $ / � more expensive to T2, worth it?, it has a fastest cpu, that must do a real difference in the whole pda experience, right?

Excuse me if some question seems stupid, but since Newton�s bye bye I have no interest about pda anymore, and well, pocket pc are not an option for me.
( Last edited by angelmb; Feb 3, 2004 at 12:10 AM. )

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2004, 02:30 AM

Those Tusteng will work falwlessly with iSync, right? (Apple Store has them)

mikeini
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2004, 03:10 PM

the biggest difference correct me if im wrong between teh t2 and t3 is mainly what it comes with. the t3 has a faster processor (but barely) ... but both are expandable etc.

the difference is that .. i think ... the t3 comes with an expandable slot (its an sd slot .. so you can buy for like 30 bux from palm pop cap games, buisness stuff, sega games, dictionaries, etc).

has more memory of ram (64mb versus 32mb).

thats the biggest and most noticable differnce (along with a 5-way navigator on teh t3 to make it easy to access programs).

i dunno. my twin and my older bro have the t3 and its just amazing! wants me to upgrade from my twin's old palm v!

the t3 is kinda expensive, but it will last you forever and the expandable screen is a really really nice feature. You can get them pretty cheap on new egg (they had them at 339 before any other retailer) .... but its an investment that will last until the latest and greatest 4 years from now.

just my 2 cents. (i would bite the bullet and go for the t3 if you can afford it).

dav
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 03:28 PM

i got a tungsten t3. no hotsync problems. only complaint is the battery life isn't great between charges, but mine sits in its cradle most of the time M-F, so not a problem for me.

faster processor: t2 is just over 100mhz, t3 380mhz
expandable screen: t3 320x480, most apps will expand to use full space (palm reader, photos, mail, etc.) - you can also rotate to landscape
ram: t3 has 64mb built in
bluetooth built in (haven't used yet)
one post closer to five stars

cryon
Feb 3, 2004, 04:04 PM

I bought my Tungesten T for $150 at an exhibition, i syncs flawlessy with os x (iSync) and i can share my internet connection via bluetooth from my mac

If your mac has bluetooth you can use Salling Clicker to remote control iTunes, presentations and much more (scriptable) thats really cool

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 04:06 PM

T3 is so much worth it for the price you paid for it. I love it and use it everyday.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

tyson.r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2004, 04:11 AM

can't delete

tyson.r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2004, 04:12 AM

consider though there are better deals on the web for the T2 than the T3. I just picked up a retail T2 for 247.99 shipped. The T3 can't be found for much less than 350.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2004, 02:54 AM

Thanks again mates, I had offline for several days due to my isp.

As I have no idea about how Palm works, how does the Palm OS udpates work?, that is, how do you get them?

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2004, 05:46 PM

As soon as they come up with a SD WiFi card that's compatible with the Palm OS...that's when I'll be getting a Palm PDA....I really want a Tungsten T3...but I want it to be 802.11!

mikeini
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2004, 08:40 PM

i kinda understand ... but why hate on bluetooth?

new newton
Banned
Feb 8, 2004, 04:00 PM

Bluetooth and WiFi serve different purposes. I don't think anyone was disparaging Bluetooth.

I ordered a T3 on Friday for $330 shipped. It's most of what I want in a PDA. Still not as functional as my old Newton, but better than my current Palm.

Bluetooth is one of those must-haves for me. The integration with the computer and cell phone is just too powerful. WiFi I can take or leave--it's hell on battery life, and I'm not real interested in surfing the internet on a little screen. That's what the PB is for.

As for OS updates, well, that's something very different than it is with a computer. Palm puts out needed updates, but that's a rare occasion. Basically what you buy is what you get. There are rumors that the current PalmOne handhelds will see an available upgrade to OS 6, but time will tell how that pans out.

mikeini
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2004, 04:08 PM

where did you get it for 330 shipped?

but yea, those are great points.

just out of curiosity, how was the newton? size-wise, apps, etc?

new newton
Banned
Feb 8, 2004, 08:51 PM

I ordered it from half.com. We'll see how that works out.

Size wise the Newton sucked. It was just too big for me to conveniently carry. It was fine when I was in the military and had ample large pockets on my uniform, but I stopped using it once I left the service just because I couldn't easily carry it with me. What good is a PDA if you don't have it with you when you need it?

Everything else about the Newton was outstanding. Even the handwriting recognition in the 2000 & 2100 series. It was so incredibly versatile and powerful. The software was great, and many of the best pieces of Palm/PPC software are adaptations from the Newton versions.

If Apple would have held in there a bit longer and not pulled the plug, they'd have a larger advantage in the PDA market than they currently have in the MP3 player market. Palms and PPCs aren't yet up to the functionality that the Newton had seven years ago. If Apple produced a Newton in a T3 form factor I'd be all over it.

mikeini
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2004, 09:32 PM

wow. that really doesnt surprise me.

yea, let us know how it goes at half.com

what kind of programs and apps were available .....

new newton
Banned
Feb 8, 2004, 11:34 PM

Most of what you see that's out there for PDAs now. All kinds of programs to track and organize your life. Newton Works let you create Office-compatible spreadsheets and documents. One of the things I found really handy was Newton books. I'd take the manuals from work and create Newton books of them, which I could then use the find command on. Absolutely awesome for sorting through a manual, being that it's with you all the time. The built in apps were great, especially the Notepad. The outlining tools were great for meetings.

One of the coolest things was how seamlessly everything worked together. If you had a birthday in your address book, it'd show up in the calendar. PalmOne finally managed to get that into their revised apps with the T|E and T|3. How can something so basic like that take so long to incorporate?

The handwriting recognition was great. Good enough that the novelty of it made it easy to pick up women when they'd ask what you were doing. They'd write their name and phone number right on it. Unfortunately PDAs are a bit too common and clunky for that to work much anymore. "No, you've got to make a funny little squiggly for a K, and you've got to write the numbers on that part of the screen..."

Amazingly enough there's still a fair bit of Newton development going on. There's even a WiFi driver. You can't find one of those for the Palm.

mikeini
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 02:17 AM

hah. thanks for the info!

where can you find this newton stuff?

i'm sorry to rack your brain, its just that i was always interested in the newton but never met anyone who had one or really knew anything about it ... so this is like my once chance to get an opinion (which says that apple was way to ahead of its time .. big shock there!) ....

mike

edit - what are teh different models .. i see 2000, 2100, 120, 130. what exactly is the difference? THANKS AGAIN!
( Last edited by mikeini; Feb 9, 2004 at 02:26 AM. )

new newton
Banned
Feb 9, 2004, 03:08 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules