Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > S Video Out and In

S Video Out and In
Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2004, 12:53 PM

a friend of mine just told me that there is a cable that can reverse your S Video out to a S Video in. He says this then allows him to plug his video game consoles in and plays them right from his Computer.....

I dont know much about S Video, But Is this possible?
Who reads this???

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2004, 01:06 PM

Is he on a powerbook? What is his video card?

There are some video cards that will put the S Video In/Out on the same jack to save space and you have this 2 way adapter for it. That might be what he has. To my knowledge you cannot just turn an S Video output only card into an input one as well.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2004, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Daracle:
a friend of mine just told me that there is a cable that can reverse your S Video out to a S Video in. He says this then allows him to plug his video game consoles in and plays them right from his Computer.....

I dont know much about S Video, But Is this possible?
Bullsh*t.

His card is probably DESIGNED to do that. The cable can't magically tell the card what to do.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2004, 02:27 PM

Alright.....Thanks guys

Im assuming then the PB card cannot do this?
Who reads this???

ibook_steve
Jan 28, 2004, 06:52 PM

No. Composite and s-video out only.

Steve

Daytonaaaaa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2004, 08:48 PM

So, is there actually any solution that will allow me to plug in a game console into my PB and play it through the LCD?

I heard the USB boxes will experience a heavy delay that will make the game unplayable, how about Firewire solutions?

(It's a shame that the PC Card slot of the new PB doesn't support zoomed video anymore...but actually that won't matter, since that card probably won't work under panther anyways )

Daytona

Peabo
Senior User
Jan 28, 2004, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Daytonaaaaa:
So, is there actually any solution that will allow me to plug in a game console into my PB and play it through the LCD?

I heard the USB boxes will experience a heavy delay that will make the game unplayable, how about Firewire solutions?

(It's a shame that the PC Card slot of the new PB doesn't support zoomed video anymore...but actually that won't matter, since that card probably won't work under panther anyways )

Daytona
Love your name
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by Daytonaaaaa:

Daytona
So far... no, there is no solution for us Powerbook users... While EyeTV does have firewire versions of them, but they are not for sale here in the States. Only in Europe and Aus. Not even sure though if Firewire will solve the delay.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules