Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > My new ipod mini toys - iTrip Mini and Vaja i-Vol case [pictures]

My new ipod mini toys - iTrip Mini and Vaja i-Vol case [pictures]
aktive
Jun 15, 2004, 06:48 AM

I thought I'd post some pictures of my recently acquired Vaja iVod i-Volution mini-iPod case. The case is absolutely awesome. Everything about it just oozes quality, it really is VERY well made.

I chose a custom built case in the color 'Torrone'. This colour is like a coffee-beige sort of color and is very nice, the pictures don't really do it justice. The case came in a very exclusive looking black carton box with the vaja logo embossed upon it. The whole out of box experience was very 'Apple-esque'. One of the best experiences I have to say was the smell. As soon as you open the box you are hit with a glorious warm fresh smell of new leather.

My silver mini fits into the case snugly and perfectly, there is no way the mini might accidently fall out in any way what-so-ever.

As this case was custom built for me in the colour I chose and with no belt-clip, it cost extra than the basic mass produced black version they will soon be selling.

Overall the case cost me $69.90 + $20 shipping (to the UK). The package was sent FedEx Express and was delivered from Argentina [Vaja's home] to the United Kingdom, in 4 days. There was 4 days of build time prior to that, so the entire process took 8 days from order placement to receiving. Given that the Vaja website states 20 days for the process, I was very pleased.

Therefore the total was $89.90. This may sound very expensive for what is in essence a ipod mini protector. However, I can't really explain why, but, I feel its well worth it. Its something about the handmade leather craft that makes you feel like you own something special, something different - its the same sort of feeling the mini gave me when I got it. Two special items that seem to meld together to form one luxiourus and envy-grabbing piece of kit.

My advice - Go Get One!!

Also my iTrip Mini arrived this morning via the friendly neighbourhood UPS man So I thought I'd share some pictures with you.

I ordered my iTrip Mini on Friday afternoon, it was shipped the same day and sent all the way from Griffin in the US to my house in the UK by this morning (Monday). So thats 3 days (including a weekend) from ordering to arriving - as you might be able to tell I'm a bit happy

The iTrip mini fits perfectly onto the top of the mini, as you'll be able to see from the below pictures. From the pictures on Griffin's site the mini iTrip looks really big and cumbersome; a bit too tall. But when you get to see it in reality, it seems to be nicely proportioned in comparison to the iPod mini.

I've only had chance to test it on my home stereo, but I got nice clear reception from around 7 meters away, at which point a slight fuzz joined the signal. So that seems extremely ample to me, and a good indication that it will work well in my car when I get round to trying it.

My only point of contention is that it appears to have some sort of thin white cardboard sticker, that fits perfectly into a slight recess, that covers the entire top surface of the itrip. I dont know what this is for, but I'm guess it is to cover up some tooling imperfections that are visible on the top surface of the plastic. It is not really visible and I suppose if it was a choice between the sticker and a jagged plastic seam, I'd prefer the smooth sticker.

Overall I am really happy with the itrip mini, it is small, perfectly form fitting and performs its job with aplomb.

A big thumbs up for Griffin who not only have created a great product, but have shown a level of customer service second to none.

What can I say, go and get one. Your ipod mini will never seem the same again.

I hope this has helped somebody make a decision on the iTrip mini or the Vaja case and please feel free to ask me any kinds of follow-up questions that you can think of.

Thanks,

Richard
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do."

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 08:00 AM

I want a mini!
we don't have time to stop for gas

aktive  (op)
Jun 15, 2004, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Peter:
I want a mini!
It is an amazing piece of kit, but you may find that after getting one your wallet becomes a lot lighter
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do."

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 09:26 AM

yeah, just gotta hang on until they come out in the uk... any month now
we don't have time to stop for gas

aktive  (op)
Jun 17, 2004, 08:32 PM

I had a request for a picture of the Vaja case and the iTrip together to see how they both look, and to see how well they work together. So here goes

Hope this helps.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Richard

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 09:46 PM

does the mini itrip only come in white?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2004, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by sworthy:
does the mini itrip only come in white?
Yes.

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2004, 10:53 PM

Wow the mini iTrip looks allot better than the iTrip for 3G iPod's.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

aktive  (op)
Jun 19, 2004, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by tekno_geek911:
Wow the mini iTrip looks allot better than the iTrip for 3G iPod's.
I think so too. One thing that may not be evident from the pictures is that the iTrip mini has a MATT finish to it as opposed to the shiny plastic on the 3G iTrip.

A small detail, but a very nice one. Makes the iTrip a lot more tactile and stylish, in my opinion

Richard

Forum Links
Forum Rules