Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Children of Men (spoliers maybe)

Children of Men (spoliers maybe)
greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 05:31 AM

Just... wow. Everyone should see this movie. That is all.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2007, 09:50 AM

That spoiled it for me! CRIPES!!!11!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Railroader
Banned
Jan 7, 2007, 09:59 AM

I was going to see it, but now that al of the major plot point have been revealed forget it. They'll be lucky if I watch a trailer for it now.

EDIT: RAILhead beat me to it. That's what I get for leaving a page open and not responding right away.

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 10:44 AM

meh. the ending sucked.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2007, 02:19 PM

An abrupt ending, but did there really need to be any more?

Sorry to give away yet the third huge plot point in this thread.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Jan 7, 2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
Just... wow. Everyone should see this movie. That is all.
Seconded.

Yose
Senior User
Jan 7, 2007, 02:55 PM

I concur - this movie is a must see. It felt real.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 7, 2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by funkboy View Post
Sorry to give away yet the third huge plot point in this thread.
I feel like I have seen the movie already. $$ saved!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 03:29 PM

After seeing the trailer, I just can't be bothered. Too angst-y.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

greenamp  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
After seeing the trailer, I just can't be bothered. Too angst-y.

V
The trailer really doesn't do it justice at all. Go see it.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
The trailer really doesn't do it justice at all. Go see it.
Agreed. The wife and I were checking RottenTomatoes.com to see what was out this weekend and getting good reviews. We saw Children of Men getting a freshness rating of 93%. Neither one of us had even seen a preview for this movie so over to Apple's movie trailers we went. And while the preview didn't blow us away, we were intrigued.

Then we were blown away at the theater.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 06:44 PM

Children of Men had potential but didn't live up to it. Very meh.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 06:44 PM

Oh, it's finally out in the US now is it?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2007, 06:52 PM

This movie really just appeals to people who want to see their political anxieties projected onto the big screen, and don't care much about the drama or character development.

Nevertheless, I'm a fan of that director, and I imagine he was constrained too much by the novel upon which the movie was based.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
This movie really just appeals to people who want to see their political anxieties projected onto the big screen, and don't care much about the drama or character development.

Nevertheless, I'm a fan of that director, and I imagine he was constrained too much by the novel upon which the movie was based.
Seen it?

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 04:25 AM

I didn't care for it. It was mostly emotional without much substance to back it up. The ending felt like the middle of the movie, and there was no clear explanation given about the main points. It "just happened". Also unnecessary scenes violence and deprivation.

I've seen worse movies, but I'm no fan of this one.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 02:41 AM

Just watched it. The story didn't wow me... the war seemed poorly explained and I felt like I was just supposed to take it for granted that it was there and brutal. That said, it was technically fantastic, with a lot of amazing stuff going on in it.

Spoiler:
The scene in the bombed-out refugee town near the end was fantastic. I found an article about it after I saw it, and they actually got that entire 9-minute scene in a single take. There aren't any invisible cuts or edits. A few minutes in, they had an effects artist rotoscope out the blood drops on the lens, but it's all the same take. Being a film student myself, I can only imagine the work that went into shooting that. Article about Spoiler.

"I start fires!"

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by keekeeree View Post
Seen it?
Yes, why else would I give my opinion of it?

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 07:44 AM

I enjoyed this one a lot. The overall environment plays a crucial part in telling what is going on. (A finely detailed one at that) Instead of explaining it in a flashback montage, it all gets pieced together from Theo's point of view, from beginning till end. [SPOIL]Having it end with Theo's death is a fitting conclusion for, in my opinion, a truly remarkable film.[/SPOIL]

I also like the way animals were depicted, almost like surrogate children.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Yes, why else would I give my opinion of it?
'Cause you didn't give your opinion on the movie. Instead you made some broad generalizations about those who liked the movie.

That being said, I disagree that this movie plays to political anxieties. While it uses political anxieties as one of the means of driving the story and characters, IMO it certainly isn't what this movie is about.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 11:35 AM

I enjoyed the movie but it would have been better suited to be a netflix rental for me.

The idea that all women on the earth have become and have remained infertile for 18 or so years is wildly implausible. There was no explanation how this happened besides some vague reference to a flu epidemic years prior. I imagine that any attempt to explain the infertility would have been criticized -- since its impossible. I know its a sci-fi film and you have to suspend disbelief to a degree, but that's a lot.

After about 45 minutes it becomes a formula chase movie with unlikely escapes and lucky breaks--along with plenty of people with rifles, pistols, machine guns, bazookas and even tanks who have no aim--except of course at the end.

The characters were interesting however and a little more complex than your average chase movie.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
The idea that all women on the earth have become and have remained infertile for 18 or so years is wildly implausible. There was no explanation how this happened besides some vague reference to a flu epidemic years prior. I imagine that any attempt to explain the infertility would have been criticized -- since its impossible. I know its a sci-fi film and you have to suspend disbelief to a degree, but that's a lot.
I imagine a bunch of dinosaurs sitting at a drive-in theater watching Armageddon, looking at each other and saying, "Yeah...like THAT could happen!"

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 01:27 PM

I saw it last night, and was very impressed.

Best part: the ending. I'm shocked to death about people saying the ending was bad. The ending was absolutely perfect, and everything I'd ever want it to be. That's what the entire movie was shooting towards. Anything else would've been completely lame.

I like it when people can give good criticisms about a movie. I haven't seen any in this thread yet.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2007, 02:35 PM

The movie was very good IMO, although there were a couple of scenes with some plot holes IMO.

There were a few scenes that were just astonishing. Very long takes of extremely difficult material to film.

I give it a 4 out of 5, with the a note that a few of the scenes were amongst the best I've ever seen.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2007, 02:38 PM

*major spoiler*

Overall I enjoyed the movie, but I got really annoyed when I noticed the "Kill off the likeable characters" trend. From the moment his girlfriend was killed, I knew that all the likeable characters would die, including the main character. So there was no surprise or worry for any of the characters being killed; kind of annoying. Other than that, I really liked it. I thought the tank and RPG scenes were even a little better than Saving Private Ryan.

4 out of 5.

I also gave Pan's Labyrinth a 4 out of 5. It's been a long time since I've seen a movie actually worth paying for to see at the theatre, and it was a treat to see TWO movies in a weekend.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 02:39 PM

What I have noticed is the general dumb population that generally likes XXX, rambo or fast and the furious absolutely HATES this movie calling it boring and pointless.

The more educated people who like to think about movies and not just look at them really enjoy it.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2007, 03:02 PM

olePigeon,

You can change the colour of the font, so people don't see the spoilers unless they highlight it.

BTW, I like Pan's Labyrinth as well, but I thought it was overrated. I preferred Children of Men. It seemed to me that later in the movie the fantasy scenes just weren't fleshed out enough, and the reality scenes seemed kind of stereotypical at times.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 03:11 PM

WTF with the posts jumping out of the box lately? Is there some way I can do that too? static link --> ??

On topic: Saw the movie. It was okay, but not that good. It had a very interesting premise, but the story as it actually unfolded was basically a "run from point A to point B" chase flick, with very few (zero?) interesting developments in either of the two main characters. Meh.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 04:36 PM

I think that it is probably the best flick I have seen in cinema in 2006. A friend of mine asked if I wanted to come with him to the movies, and I hadn't heard anything about it.

The movie impressed me with it's ugly, dirty appearence, it's dark but not fabricated looking vision of the future. Beautiful (in a technical meaning) pictures, a great anti-hero protagonist.

And I loved the attention to detail, on the screen and in the story. For example, that the mother-to-be reveals that she's pregnant in a barn, while the baby is considered a miracle from god… just wow.

It needs to be seen on the big screen, though.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 04:52 PM

I haven't seen it yet but the mood looked similar to 12 monkeys.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2007, 05:04 PM

I didn't like 12 Monkeys that much. The craziness acting factor was a little over the top, and a lot of the style was a rehash of Gilliam's previous movies.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 17, 2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I haven't seen it yet but the mood looked similar to 12 monkeys.
No. Just, no.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 12:54 PM

Best movie I have seen in a long time. I loved every second of it.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 01:00 PM

I second Ort888, fantastic piece of film.

The long shots were AMAZING, rivaling that of Kubricks movies. The car scene, the tank scene, the escape from the farmhouse scene, all brilliantly done action that was incredibly visceral. It felt real, it was acted perfectly, and it ended exactly the way it should have.

I give it a 4.5/5, best new movie I've seen in a LOOONG time.

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 16, 2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Best movie I have seen in a long time. I loved every second of it.
I must concur with you on this.

Railroader
Banned
May 16, 2007, 08:26 PM

3rded.

Spiderman III sucked!!! Saw it last night. Yech!

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 12:27 AM

It started well but I thought it slowly degraded over time.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
May 17, 2007, 10:43 PM

Yeah, the movie started off great, but then it just got worse and worse, and just when you think it can't get any worse, the director presents us with one of the worst endings in film history.

Railroader
Banned
May 17, 2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
Yeah, the movie started off great, but then it just got worse and worse, and just when you think it can't get any worse, the director presents us with one of the worst endings in film history.
I hope you're talking about Spiderman III, Babel, or The secret Garden.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
May 18, 2007, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I hope you're talking about Spiderman III, Babel, or The secret Garden.
Nope. I'm talking about Children of Men. It was one of those movies that has a nice backdrop and feel to it, making mediocre minds feel as if they're watching something new and profound. It was very cheap, and had a crappy ending.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 01:40 AM

I thought the ending of Children of Men was one of the best endings I could've imagined.

And I'm a movie critic. Without a katana. So...I win.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

flabasha
Forum Regular
May 18, 2007, 03:25 AM

Genius film. Top five of this decade, to be sure.

Railroader
Banned
May 18, 2007, 08:49 AM

Nope. I'm talking about Children of Men. It was one of those movies that has a nice backdrop and feel to it, making mediocre minds feel as if they're watching something new and profound. It was very cheap, and had a crappy ending.
Call me, a graduate of 3 colleges, a mediocre mind then. I also have two journeyman cards and two successful businesses. Yup, mediocre mind is me.

I only wish I was genius enough to be able to add classical music to movie trailers and post them on youtube.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2007, 02:58 PM

You are a pompous ass, your interests are mediocre, and if you ever get invited to a party I gather you'd spend the whole time in the corner by yourself because of your 'superior mind'

In some ways I think you pull this arrogant adolescent crap just to gain attention from the people on this forum. Bad attention or good attention...you don't seem to care.

We've got Railroader, Shortcut, and myself all agreeing about something. If that doesn't make Children a good movie then all is lost.

Railroader
Banned
May 19, 2007, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
We've got Railroader, Shortcut, and myself all agreeing about something. If that doesn't make Children a good movie then all is lost.
You'll never get me to admit I agreed to anything with you. I won't even agree with you if you were me! I even disagree with myself about this.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2007, 09:30 PM

decent movie. Not a classic, but was in my top films of the year.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Railroader
Banned
May 19, 2007, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
decent movie. Not a classic, but was in my top films of the year.
All true, and a darn shame, as well as a very good depiction of the current offerings of today's movie offerings.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2007, 10:32 AM

yup, it was refreshing to see a movie that was not a sequel/remake/comic book spinoff/other spinoff/romantic comedy.

edit: just thought, CoM is based on a novel oh well, can't have them all!
we don't have time to stop for gas

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2007, 11:12 AM

What's wrong with being based off a novel?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2007, 11:34 AM

Well, from what I have gathered, the novel and the movie are very different.

Read the plot of the book here.

The Children of Men - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Forum Links
Forum Rules