Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Leopard Tips : New Website

Leopard Tips : New Website
nicholasm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 08:26 AM

Hello,
Here's the URL to a new website called Easy Leopard, it's a guide for beginners and switchers. It's 100% free, just google adds to pay the hosting.
You'll find there OSX tips, especially for Leopard, and a cool mac freeware guide.
We hope you'll enjoy, don't hesitate to give us your advice!

The EasyLeopard Team

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2007, 08:30 AM

I dub this

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Cold Warrior
Nov 21, 2007, 08:31 AM

http://forums.macnn.com/mac-os-x/

Leopard stuff goes there.

nicholasm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 09:36 AM

Although I love RAILhead pic :-D
This post has been approved by Oreoscookie, moderator.
" If you wish to link to your site and promote it, please do so in a separate thread, e. g. in the Lounge. "

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2007, 10:29 AM

In defense of Railhead you have to realize that your post looks extremely like SPAM.

A new user, posts a link to a website. Generally most people here post here for a while before advertising their site.

As for the site - good luck, I'm poking around it now. Looks pretty good.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 21, 2007, 01:22 PM

This is spam. He has registered and posted this in other Mac web forums.

When you register to a web forum for the sole purpose of posting your URL so you'll get hits, it is SPAM.

Why the any moderator told him to post it here is beyond me.

People used to get banned for doing such things.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2007, 01:44 PM

Yeah, I don't get it either.

It's mod-approved spam.
And what's more, he didn't approve it in his own forum (where it at least makes some sense), but in someone elses. Go figure.

Just when you think you've seen it all at 'NN, you get surprised again.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 21, 2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
A new user, posts a link to a website. Generally most people here post here for a while before advertising their site.
Most people advertise their sites?

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2007, 02:05 PM

Is Leopard so difficult that there needs to be an "easyleopard"?

Maybe you should try "easyvista"

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 21, 2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Most people advertise their sites?
In the sig it's allowed. But he has been registering on Mac sites just to post his spam. And I pointed that out in said thread before he was told to post it in here.

We got spammed twice.

OreoCookie
Nov 21, 2007, 07:45 PM

He forgot that I have also said that he should ask the staff before posting.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 21, 2007, 08:38 PM

Ah.. thats makes all the difference. I apologize for anything I said that criticized what you told him.

Now I am wondering if he asked to staff...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Ah.. thats makes all the difference. I apologize for anything I said that criticized what you told him.

-t

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 21, 2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
What? If Oreo told him to ask the staff, then Oreo didn't directly give him permission to post it here. Being that is the case, my comments were out of line. So I apologized.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 21, 2007, 10:13 PM

Yes. Kevin is right. nicholasm did NOT confer with anyone before he posted here-and if it weren't so late in the game, we'd have deleted the whole thread already because of that. His post is NOT what Oreo told him was acceptable at all: it's not an announcement, it's not just in his sig, and it wasn't coordinated ahead of time.

So nicholasm, "what have we learned from this?" Aside from the fact the MacNNers are not easy pickings for any spammer...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Nov 21, 2007, 10:15 PM

ok, so he's basically lying when he wrote that OC had approved it and said post it in the Lounge?

I'd ban him for that.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 21, 2007, 10:17 PM

The thought has crossed more than a few minds on the staff...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2007, 02:49 AM

Nice looking website! Who, specifically, is your target audience?

nicholasm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 06:32 AM

Hi,
My website is for switchers.
As for the spam issue, and to answer you questions, I've learned what spam is. I misunderstood Oreo message about the authorization to post. Now, I will always ask to the moderator of the thread. I thought that there was a moderator for the entire macnn. I'm a beginner in forums, and it seems like i've crossed the line, twice
My previous experience in other forums was very different from this one, and nobody told me what I was doing is spamming. So this is what I've learned : ask the moderator of the thread before posting your personnal url. If this wasn't the case in general, I guess that forums would be full of useless URLs to worthless website....

I'm pretty impressed by your reactivity and almost "agressivity" if I may say. Why don't you just delete my post if it's such a problem ? I didn't mean to get everybody so upset about it !

Last answer. Leopard, and Macs are not so easy for everybody. I know a lot of people, especially over 50 years old, that don't get it. The first tip I wrote, which seems so simple for you (commande+tab)... well, everyday people just don't know it. They buy a 2000$ computer, and they call me to ask how to install an app, or some things that seems so easy for us ! So this is the reason why I've created easyleopard guide.

Again, I may don't have the netiquette that I should, and again, I apologize for doing things the wrong way. The only way I could repair my mistake is to ask you to delete this thread.

Thanks.
( Last edited by nicholasm; Nov 22, 2007 at 08:00 AM. Reason: correction)

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2007, 09:06 AM

Before this thread is locked, I just wanted to slip this in:

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

idyll
Senior User
Nov 22, 2007, 10:09 AM

nicholasm, do you own leoparddocks by any chance?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2007, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Being that is the case, my comments were out of line.
Why were your comments out of line ?

They were a reaction based on false information. Nothing more.

You did not accuse anyone of false motives, you did not call anybody names or any of such things.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by nicholasm View Post
Hi,
My website is for switchers.
As for the spam issue, and to answer you questions, I've learned what spam is. I misunderstood Oreo message about the authorization to post. Now, I will always ask to the moderator of the thread. I thought that there was a moderator for the entire macnn. I'm a beginner in forums, and it seems like i've crossed the line, twice
My previous experience in other forums was very different from this one, and nobody told me what I was doing is spamming. So this is what I've learned : ask the moderator of the thread before posting your personnal url. If this wasn't the case in general, I guess that forums would be full of useless URLs to worthless website....

I'm pretty impressed by your reactivity and almost "agressivity" if I may say. Why don't you just delete my post if it's such a problem ? I didn't mean to get everybody so upset about it !

Last answer. Leopard, and Macs are not so easy for everybody. I know a lot of people, especially over 50 years old, that don't get it. The first tip I wrote, which seems so simple for you (commande+tab)... well, everyday people just don't know it. They buy a 2000$ computer, and they call me to ask how to install an app, or some things that seems so easy for us ! So this is the reason why I've created easyleopard guide.

Again, I may don't have the netiquette that I should, and again, I apologize for doing things the wrong way. The only way I could repair my mistake is to ask you to delete this thread.

Thanks.

I'm only saying this in hopes that your site will succeed, I don't care about the alleged spam issue.

If you are targeting switchers, why don't you provide genuinely useful information for switchers? Making animations go in slow motion and other parlor tricks are only interesting to a subset of this population, and chances are they are already Mac users.

If the hope is to entice switchers by showing off this eye candy, there is plenty of Apple propaganda on Apple's site, I think they would most likely look there, not your site. However, there is a lack of actual switching information on Apple's site, so while I think you have a good idea, I think the info is not really targeted wisely.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 22, 2007, 02:43 PM

You did not accuse anyone of false motives, you did not call anybody names or any of such things.

-t
While everything you say is true, I can empathize with Kevin. I'd hate to jump to a conclusion and act on it. It's embarrassing, and an apology for the action is the usual means of erasing the embarrassment. We've had odd enough things go on here; thinking that something was amiss is not such a stretch. We've also had a lot of people get the idea that being polite is a Good Thing™, and I'd like to encourage that.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 23, 2007, 06:35 AM

-t
I said "Why the any moderator told him to post it here is beyond me."

That is implying that a Mod told him he was to post it here. Without me knowing what really happened I sided and already made up my mind regardless of what I actually SAID.

So my wrong doing is more of what I THOUGHT than put down. Either way I think an apology was in order.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2007, 11:00 AM

Man... where is my Cowbell animation when I need it...

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 24, 2007, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Making animations go in slow motion and other parlor tricks are only interesting to a subset of this population, and chances are they are already Mac users.

If the hope is to entice switchers by showing off this eye candy, there is plenty of Apple propaganda on Apple's site, I think they would most likely look there, not your site. However, there is a lack of actual switching information on Apple's site, so while I think you have a good idea, I think the info is not really targeted wisely.
*shakes head*

Forum Links
Forum Rules