Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Turning back on low disk space warning

Turning back on low disk space warning
iBean
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2004, 01:57 PM

I just got the low disk space warning (less than 600MB of free space on my HD...) and I accidentally marked the "do not display again" check box.

What do I have to do to get the warning back?...

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by iBean:
I just got the low disk space warning (less than 600MB of free space on my HD...) and I accidentally marked the "do not display again" check box.

That is a very good question.

You could try deleting finder prefs, but thats not an idea solution.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 21, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by iBean:

I would check the Finder prefs. If you have the Developer tools installed, just double click it. Otherwise, you can open it with TextEdit. Look for any <key> which might look like it is that setting. I looked through my prefs and it is not there, but that could be because I've never been that low on HD space that I can remember.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 12:11 PM

You should also probably invest in a bigger HD; Mac OS X likes its swap space and gets very testy when it runs out. We had an original iMac (the 233 MHz variety) that was running our 10.3 master with its original drive. Unfortunately, that master was just under the 4 GB mark (with Office, Studio MX, Keynote, etc.), and this iMac ended up with about 20 MB free. Eventually it just stopped booting because it spent literally hours swapping things from disk to main memory.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:
You should also probably invest in a bigger HD; Mac OS X likes its swap space and gets very testy when it runs out. We had an original iMac (the 233 MHz variety) that was running our 10.3 master with its original drive. Unfortunately, that master was just under the 4 GB mark (with Office, Studio MX, Keynote, etc.), and this iMac ended up with about 20 MB free. Eventually it just stopped booting because it spent literally hours swapping things from disk to main memory.
I can't even run my iMac that low on space. With Jag, once I hit 200-300 MB free, preference files weren't being written to, and things were a big mess.

iBean  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2004, 05:48 PM

Ok, it just popped up again - I guess it just doesn't show open again until the next restart...

I do have more than 1GB of free spac, swap files just get too large...
So yeah, I do need a bigger HD.

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2004, 07:23 PM

Greater than 85% filled capacity on a hard drive dramatically increases the chance of b-tree extents overflow or cross-linked files which CANNOT be repaired and will require a full reinstall. Better be fully backed up running that low on space.

yukon
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 11:23 PM

bmhome1, sorry, i've never heard that before. do you have a link or anything? that's pretty interesting/dangerous if true....
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2004, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
I can't even run my iMac that low on space. With Jag, once I hit 200-300 MB free, preference files weren't being written to, and things were a big mess.
Yeah, I'm sure that had the iMac been given a chance over the course of normal use to get its HD that full, it wouldn't have allowed it. But, we used NetRestore to put our image on it, so it didn't have much of a choice in the matter.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules