Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Carbon Copy Cloner re moving an OS

Carbon Copy Cloner re moving an OS
rotuts
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2010, 02:50 PM

Im thinking of not only moving to 10.6 but getting a bigger HD for it as on my sys its only a 500GB

I dont use it using 10.5.X due to the terrible icons it seems to have

however, Im thinking of getting a 2 TB HD and moivng 10.6 to that

a billion years ago that was tricking useing Carbon Copy Cloner er permissions or 'you cant do that'

note the fine detail above!

any help on how to migrate to a 2TB dive much appreciated!

MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

jean-henri
Apr 21, 2010, 01:36 PM

I don't think I understand.
In my company we use ccc all the time deploying bootable systems around disks.
If block level copying is not an option ccc will find out itself and just copy at file level (slower but not that slow).
If you have more than one data partition, just remember to create them first on the new drive, and ccc all partitions separately.
-jh

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2010, 01:48 AM

Confused, but no, Carbon Copy Cloner will have no problem cloning exactly from your old 500GB to your new 2TB drive. No problem at all. I do it all the time. Just make sure to boot from the 500GB to clone to the 2TB. Then reboot onto the 2TB.

Of course you'll need to put the 500GB drive into something in order to connect it to your machine once the 2TB drive is installed. I suggest the "Universal Drive Adapter" that NewerTechnology makes. I think it costs $35 but will let you connect any modern drive. Or you can peruse NewEgg's external case inventory to find something good and cheap.

OreoCookie
Apr 25, 2010, 05:00 AM

I don't get the OP's post, I see lots of jumbled sentences. You can move from one drive to the next with CCC, but you could also use Disk Utility for that.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cold Warrior
Apr 25, 2010, 10:53 AM

Yes DU works great for cloning a Mac system. The OP didn't mention any Boot Camp but Winclone works great for that.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2010, 12:14 PM

You can also use Migration Assistant. It will move everything for you onto an already existing fresh installation of OS X and preserve everything for you. So there's a lot of options. When I got my MacBook Pro last week I tried this option and was pleasantly surprised. It's located in /Applications/Utilities/.

All you have to do is create a test user that will be deleted later, log into it and run the assistant. When it's done, reboot, log into your user and delete the test. Worked like a charm.

Forum Links
Forum Rules