Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "The True Cost of Mac OS X"...thoughts?

"The True Cost of Mac OS X"...thoughts? (Page 2)
Thorzdad
Dec 2, 2004, 11:46 PM

There are pros and cons to his argument. I can see his point about iLife. Those apps do tend to embody the general consumer impression of what Macs are best at...all that graphic creative stuff. As such, some version of them should be included gratis. Call it brand identity reinforcement.

I am sort of confused about his assertion that OSX ships with the "crippled" versions. I did a quick check of the iApps on my Mac and discovered the following:

iPhoto: v4.0.3
iMovie: v4.0.1
iDVD: v4.0.1

iDVD, of course, being the one he claims OSX has never shipped with. I, myself, have never purchased iLife. So...did someone do me a favor at the factory or did someone rip him off? Or were they all updated with the last couple of incremental OS updates?

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2004, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by Thorzdad:
So...did someone do me a favor at the factory or did someone rip him off? Or were they all updated with the last couple of incremental OS updates?
No. You just didn't notice that your new Mac came with iLife included.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2004, 03:58 AM

Hmm, reminds me of the line about not biting the hand that feeds you ...

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2004, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by Thorzdad:
iDVD, of course, being the one he claims OSX has never shipped with. I, myself, have never purchased iLife. So...did someone do me a favor at the factory or did someone rip him off? Or were they all updated with the last couple of incremental OS updates?
iLife is bundled with Macs (the computers). It is not bundled with Mac OS (the operating system).

This is clearly stated anywhere on Apple's website. Nowhere does Apple do any misleading advertising as this guy claims. Sure it would be cool if all kind of stuff would be bundled with the OS for free. But Apple doesn't and they are by no means obliged to do. If Microsoft does so with Windows and you think it's the better deal, then just get that. Incidentally you will find that when you purchase a PC that all kind of software is bundled with it (Microsoft Office for example) that is not part of the operating system. You will not get new versions of this bundled software with a Windows update as well. So I'm not sure what the whining is about.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2004, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
So I'm not sure what the whining is about.
The whining IMHO is that they would prefer that people spent their money in Unsanity products while Apple gives theirs for free with the OS. Other claim seems to be false advertisement, but that as someone already pointed out hasn't much ground, Apple rarely advertise Mac OS X, they do advertise the hardware, and those come preloaded with the very latest versions of all the software included in the price .... so

rotorwash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2005, 02:20 AM

Can I upgrade from ilife '04 to ilife '05 without paying the full retail price for ilife '05?
Jump in or Sit down

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2005, 02:27 AM

There is no special upgrade price. $59 for students though.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

utidjian
Senior User
Jan 14, 2005, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by rotorwash:
Can I upgrade from ilife '04 to ilife '05 without paying the full retail price for ilife '05?
Sometimes you can use the upgrade coupons that are included with a new Mac... sometimes not. Using the coupons can reduce the price.

When you consider the features and integration of iLife and iWork put together they are less than the price of many a college textbook.

We may see iWork bundled with "academic" Macs or even Macs in general.

Apple has often bundled various bits of software with new Macs. Over the years I have gotten various games (sometimes on a separate CD), encyclopedias, and even movies on DVD. At one time I had 13 DVDs of "Bug's Life" when we bought the iMac DVs for our department. Gave all but one away to people with kids.
-DU-...etc...

Forum Links
Forum Rules