Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Removing Languages

Removing Languages
Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2008, 06:41 PM

I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard, 10.5.4 this weekend. I have removed all non-english languages from my Applications and from ~/Library folder.

Is it save to also remove the languages from the System/Library folder?

Thanks,

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2008, 08:48 PM

You wanna use the app DeLocalizer.

-t

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2008, 12:34 PM

TinkerTool System also removes languages. But a note of caution if you are using Office 2008. Apparently removing the languages, at least for some, precludes µS updater installers from finding Office 2008 even though it's on your HD. In that event, you must first remove Office 2008 and then reinstall µS Office and all the intervening updaters, just so that the new updater can find Office 2008.

At least that's what been happening. If/when µS rewrites its installer (and makes a Combo updater), well that is another issue.

Interestingly enough (for me anyway), removing the languages does not damage Office 2008, other than precluding the updaters from working.

Further discussion of µS and the Office updater issues can be found at Discussions - microsoft.public.mac.office | Google Groups
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2008, 02:15 PM

I don't use MS Office. I use iWork, so this should not impact me. Thanks for the heads up though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules