Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Silicone Keyboards

Silicone Keyboards
Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2011, 11:59 AM

Anyone have and use one of these flexible silicone keyboards?

I'm considering one because I have a big hairy dog and I waste a lot of time cleaning and keeping the hair out of my current previous model Apple wireless keyboard.

Tell me your experiences.

Thanks

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2011, 01:59 PM

They're hard to type on and the tips of your fingers will hurt after a while. There's very little give compared to a normal keyboard. It's like trying to type on a table. Maybe you should get a silicone keyboard cover for your existing Apple keyboard.

Also, be wary of the cheap silicone keyboards. Looking at the reviews on Amazon, about 50% of them arrive broken.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2011, 05:03 PM

I have a GrandTec silicone keyboard that completely lights up.
The Pros: easy to transport, just roll it up and off you go. lightweight, water resistant.
The Cons: key press action not as good as a regular keyboard. It is flexible, so it has to be on a hard surface, cannot be used
on a lap without a supporting pad or table.
The one I have lights up, so it as a great coolness factor, especially in a dark typing situation. Ever since I first saw one in Die Hard 4, I had to try one, and a friend got me the lighted one as a gift.
I'm not sure if this is worth the cost, but okay if someone buys it for you as a gift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules