Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Sleep delay issue on Mac Mini

Sleep delay issue on Mac Mini
Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2008, 05:56 PM

In the past week or so when I put my new Mini to sleep it can take 10 to 15 seconds or even a little longer to actually go to sleep. Prior to this it only took a second or two to actually go to sleep.

Any ideas what's causing the delay in going to sleep?

Thanks,

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2008, 06:24 PM

You might leave activity monitor open while you tell it to go to sleep and see if anything odd happens (like an app using up all the CPU for a few seconds) prior to sleep.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2008, 06:30 PM

My G5 used to do this. An HP printer driver was causing the delay. Try repairing disk permissions with Disk Utility. Sometimes a permission gets out of line causing a delay as well.

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2008, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. First I repaired permissions, nothing showed needing repair, and then checked the Activity Monitor while putting my Mini to sleep. No spike in CPU usage, stay at 97% idle until it went to sleep. I've also run all the TechTool tests and everything passed.

Still open to ideas. One more bit of information. It usually doesn't happen until after my Mini has been on for several hours. If I boot my Mini and put it to sleep it goes to sleep right away it only after it's been on for several hours that it takes a long time to actually go to sleep.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2008, 07:37 PM

Possibly some sort of virtual memory dump to the hard drive that's taking a while. Does it only happen if you've had a lot of applications open during those several hours? How much free space on your HD do you have and how much RAM?

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2008, 08:29 PM

I have 2GB ram and over 90GB of free space on my HD. Usually not more than 3 or 4 applications that have been opened and closed before it starts taking time for sleep.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2008, 03:13 AM

I'm guessing it's SafeSleep writing out RAM contents to disk. After you reboot there is hardly anything in RAM and writing out the contents is fast. After a while when your RAM has filled up there is a lot more to write to disk and hence the lag.

SafeSleep can be disabled. There has been a lot of debate about that though. In the end it is up to you to decide if you really want to do it.

If you don't need the functionality and want to recover some disk space, you can disable Safe Sleep by opening the Terminal (located in Applications/Utilities) and entering the following command:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
Then press return. You can then select "Go to Folder" under the "Go" menu in the Finder, and enter: /private/var/vm then press return, and drag the file sleepimage to the Trash. In order to re-enable Safe Sleep, use the command:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3
in the Terminal.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2008, 09:10 AM

My iMAc just started doing the same thing this week. Very weird.

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2008, 11:01 AM

I agree that this is very weird. What I can't understand is why this would start happening now. I've changed nothing in the way I use my Mini since I bought it in early December. It would seem if Simon is correct that the issue would have been there since day one and not 5 months after I bought it.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2008, 05:57 PM

I repaired permissions this morning and that seems to have done the trick for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules