Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Please help: No target disk drive on bootup?

Please help: No target disk drive on bootup?
wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2008, 02:05 PM

Powerbook 15" aluminum FW800, 1.25ghz, 2 gig ram, 80 gig hd

Several months ago my computer locked up on me during an update. I did a hard restart, and the apple icon appears (makes dong sound) and the little circle appeared...but no booting. So here is what I did:

1. Checked the ram: All good, even tried new ram
2. Tried booting to disk from my other mac via fw and I could see the hard drive and access its data (retrieved data)
3. Tried booting to OSX via install disk, but when it got to the screen that lets you choose the target drive, nothing showed up.
4. Bought new HD (WD 160 gig) and installed
5. Tried again to install OSX and again...no target disk drive shows up to load the OS.

Now I've ruled out faulty ram, hard drive, and OS. I can access the installed drive if I boot to another computer, AND if I boot to an external drive with OSX on it. Does this sound like the logic board? Maybe the ribbon from the drive to the logic board?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Will
15 inches of aluminum fury

wy4tt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2008, 02:15 PM

Oh yeah, the new drive shows up in disk utility. I can partition, etc.

wy4tt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2008, 02:19 PM

I'm such an idiot. I guess I had to "erase" the disk before intalling the os onto it. I partitioned the drive and OSX is now loading.

Forum Links
Forum Rules