Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Martina Hingis appreciation thred.

Martina Hingis appreciation thred.
i_rooster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2005, 03:04 PM

Hingis returns after two year layoff

Associated Press

1/30/2005

PATTAYA, Thailand (AP) - Five-time Grand Slam champion Martina Hingis returns to competitive tennis after more than two years on the sidelines when she takes to the court in this week's WTA Volvo Women's Open.

Kept away from tennis with a severe ankle injury since 2002, Hingis launches her comeback campaign Tuesday against German Marlene Weingartner in the first round of the tournament.

Hingis last appeared on the circuit Oct. 2002 at Filderstadt, Germany, where she lost to Russia's Elena Dementieva 3-6, 1-6.

The Swiss national said despite her long layoff, she would be playing the Pattaya competition to win.

''As a competitor and athlete, I always want to win. But I hope my body will last and hold up and help me to come through,'' Hingis said Sunday.

''I still stayed in the game. I was a commentator for some matches. I did not totally get lost from tennis,'' she added.

Hingis admitted missing the game as she watched rising Russian stars dominating women's tennis.

''You miss being out there in a Grand Slam final and not be able to compete,'' said Hingis, who has not announced what other tournaments she will enter after Pattaya. ''Its a big difference between staying on court and commenting for TV. I miss it a lot.''

Hingis almost hung up her racket for good, insisting last year that a comeback was unlikely.

''You say things sometimes,'' she said. ''I said that because I didn't know what would happen with my body.''

On of Hingis' motivations in playing in Thailand was to donate her prize money to charity.

She visited deprived children here Saturday and plans to travel to the tsunami-battered island of Phuket to support survivors Monday.

''I saw news in Switzerland every day about the natural disaster. It was very unfortunate. I came here to play tennis and hopefully to make people feel better,'' Hingis said.

But the Swiss star said the tropical temperature in Thailand was ''a shock to my body because back in Switzerland the temperature is minus-10.''

Leading the field of entrants in Pattaya is world No. 11 ranked Vera Zvonareva of Russia. Seeded second to fourth are Marion Bartoli of France, Conchita Martinez of Spain, and American Mashona Washington.

The 20-year-old Zvonareva is pitted against Argentina's Maria Emilia Salerni in the first round, while Bartoli has a comfortable opening match against wild card Ayu Fanti Damayanti of Indonesia. Veteran Martinez will play a qualifier while Washington will encounter Ukraine's Alyona Bondarenko.

Jelena Dokic, the former No. 4 ranked player who slipped to 126 this week, also joins the action and will play Anne Kremer of Luxembourg in the first round.

Hingis beat Weingartner in 1999 and 2002.

-----------------
Welcome back Martina!

waky waky!

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 04:41 PM

Was expecting pictures.

Seriously, women's tennis is way more interesting to me than men's. For obvious reasons and just b/c it's often better tennis to watch... Not every other serve is an ace.

I haven't followed it in awhile though. Do the women still get paid less prize money than the men? And are the women's finals still held in the less prestigious time slot, followed by the "main event" men's final? I hope the sport has corrected those outdated things, but wouldn't bet that they have.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
Was expecting pictures.
ditto.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 04:55 PM

http://www.mafia-designs.com

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 04:57 PM

Yay a celebration of CHUCKY HINGIS

(a la Jim Rome)

blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 05:04 PM

I haven't followed it in awhile though. Do the women still get paid less prize money than the men? And are the women's finals still held in the less prestigious time slot, followed by the "main event" men's final? I hope the sport has corrected those outdated things, but wouldn't bet that they have.
It depends. The Australian Open pays both the same. They have a prime-time men's final (for the first time this year), but the U.S. Open has had a prime-time women's final since 2001.

As far as Hingis goes, I don't think she can have any real success against the top women. She's certainly smart, but she just doesn't have enough firepower.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

i_rooster  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2005, 05:24 PM

Damn! How could i not post one. Here are a few

and another for your desktop.
( Last edited by i_rooster; Jan 30, 2005 at 05:30 PM. )

waky waky!

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 03:14 AM

i remember seeing her in a Sushi place somewhere in NYC during the US Open. She has a very nice smile. Very very nice.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by i_rooster:
Damn! How could i not post one. Here are a few

WTF?
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

OreoCookie
Feb 1, 2005, 11:28 AM

Was expecting pictures.

[snip]
Ditto
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2005, 12:10 PM

I would say that there of plenty of nice picture of her posted. Welcome back Martina.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2005, 10:30 PM

Well, Martina was one-and-done. That's about what I expected. She did a good job winning the first set.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2005, 11:11 PM

mmmm i've always thought she was more a babe than kournikova

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2005, 11:15 PM

i like the effort she gives

i love how people never expected her to become # 1 and when she did, they still gave her no love

that speaks volumes imo compared to Kournikove who never won jack **** her entire career and will be forgotton soon enough

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
mmmm i've always thought she was more a babe than kournikova
your krazy.

her career may be forgotten but the pictures will not.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2005, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
i like the effort she gives

i love how people never expected her to become # 1 and when she did, they still gave her no love
Um, I think you were asleep in the mid-90s. Everyone expected her to be #1. She's pretty quick, she has every shot, and she's always thinking. Before women's tennis became a power game, she had the total package.

i_rooster  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2005, 09:13 AM

1-6 6-2 6-2, lost to Germany's Marlene Weingartner

oh, no!!! Hope you continue playing, baby........

waky waky!

Forum Links
Forum Rules