Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > visiting France with a 3G iPad only - prepaid sims ?

visiting France with a 3G iPad only - prepaid sims ?
Sarc
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2010, 01:07 AM

Hi guys,
I'll be visiting Paris in January for a few days, everything on a very tight schedule. I was wondering if there's some sort of prepaid sim card that I can buy just to get internet access for the trip ? Something like AT&T's iPad data plans ? If there is such a thing, is it available at the airport ?

Thanks and happy holidays !
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2010, 12:36 PM

Isn't the iPad's sim slot smaller than normal? You can get sim cards for phones in France but I'm not sure if you can get them for the iPad's sim slot.

If you're in Paris, you'll have wi-fi in a lot of places, probably in your hotel as well. Then there's always McDonalds.

Sarc  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2010, 11:24 PM

From what little I understood after browsing through Orange's France website, is that they offer a bunch of iPad plans, monthly, etc, so I'm assuming that they already have the microSIM cards available ...

Anyway, what I need to figure now is if they sell something like 200MB/15EUR or something like that, hopefully, at the airport.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 11:50 PM

Yes, the iPad uses microSIM, which shouldn't be a problem overseas.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2010, 04:13 AM

Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I know that you can get pre-paid phone sims (e.g. 5 hours for 15€), but I don't know if you can get pre-paid phone sims that fit in the iPad.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2010, 08:10 AM

From what I understand, most iPad data plans are monthly. Getting a sim should not tie you down in any way.

Cold Warrior
Dec 23, 2010, 01:18 PM

You could just trim down that regular sim to fit iPad/microSIM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules