Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Installed Apps, their names and their icons

Installed Apps, their names and their icons
hc98br
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 09:01 AM

I've had a quick look around and can't seem to find any info on this, so I hope I'm in the right place and someone knows the answers!! :-)

I would like to do a couple of things, firstly I would like to see a list of the applications that are installed on the system. Then once I have that list I would like to be able to get the proper application name and its icon.

So far I have been able to look inside an applications package at the Info.plist file, which typically lists the name (CFBundleName) and icon name (CFBundleIconFile) (which can then be found in the package resources folder). All of which seems to work very well, but not all apps have an Info.plist file, and some just don't list icon names (although they still have an icon!) And then some apps aren't even packages - i.e. Microsoft Word - so what do I do with these??!!

And the reason for posting here is I'd like to get all this info in the terminal!!!

Any help greatly appreciated

Ben.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2006, 03:23 AM

System Profiler will give you a list of all applications installed on the system:

system_profiler�SPApplicationsDataType

It'l give you a breakdown of the applications, path and Info string. Unfortunately it won't give you quite the level of detail you're asking for since there are several application types (Carbon, Cocoa, Mac OS 9, Universal, etc.) which have different mechanisms for some of what you're asking for (e.g. Mac OS 9.x apps have the application icon embedded in the file and doesn't necessarily have a separate application name.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules