Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Did/Will you switch for an iPhone

View Poll Results: Did/Will you switch to AT&T for an iPhone
Poll Options:
Yes 53 votes (82.81%)
No 11 votes (17.19%)
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll
Did/Will you switch for an iPhone
starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2007, 01:37 PM

Title says it all. I'm curious to see how many people did.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Cold Warrior
Jul 2, 2007, 01:51 PM

I'll switch for one when I have the cash for it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2007, 02:16 PM

I was already with Cingular, but I would have switched assuming I had already fulfilled my contract with whatever provider I was with. I don't think I would've paid a hefty cancellation fee just to get an iPhone.

nycdunz
Senior User
Jul 2, 2007, 02:38 PM

i was with tmobile for years, and currently on a 2 yr contract, i had 1 year remaining, but i paid the $200 ETF and switched to ATT just for the iPhone. It was well worth it.

donutogre
Jul 2, 2007, 03:11 PM

My Verizon contract is up at the end of December, so my plan is to wait until MWSF and see if they release an upgraded iPhone then. All that I really need to go for it is 16gb or more of memory...3G would be ideal too, but not a deal-breaker.
~nate

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2007, 03:12 PM

No. Given the price (monthly, not up-front), arbitrary limitations (no tethering), lack of apps (IM, IRC, games), and mandatory camera (can't take it to work), both AT&T and the iPhone are totally uninteresting to me.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2007, 03:25 PM

Those sound like mostly good reasons for you to not get an iphone, but games? There's no reason to assume that the iphone won't have games. Obviously the current crop of iPod games are designed around a scroll wheel and wouldn't work with a touch screen, but it's just a matter of time before they bring out iPhone-specific games.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2007, 04:10 PM

Haven't yet, but I will on August 30th when I'm free from my Verizon contract.

I was actually going to switch to AT&T before the iPhone was announced, as they're the only carrier that gets a signal inside my house. The iPhone just sealed the deal.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jul 2, 2007, 05:02 PM

I already have Cingular/AT&T so no switching is needed. But even if I didn't I wouldn't switch networks just for a phone. My cell network choice is based on whether I like their service. AT&T works well in my area so I have little complaints and I love the rollover minutes since I usually don't have to worry about running out of talk time.

I wish rollover was a required standard for all networks. It's so funny when I call some of my friends and they quickly tell me they have no more minutes before hanging up abruptly. You paid for the minutes so I think it's rather unfair that most networks throw away your remaining time even though you have paid for them.

The iPhone is very innovative and I'm hoping that some of its ideas will influence other cell phones. I really like the visual voice mail system and some of the other features, but the phone just cost way too much for me. If I can get it for $30 with a new contract sign up like I can do with other phones then I'll get.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 05:24 PM

I had both AT&T and Verizon.. I used the AT&T phone that I had (A Crazer) for international trips, but I decided to ditch Verizon for the family plan and now have only AT&T.. I can't tell a bit of difference between the two in terms of customer service, or coverage.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2007, 05:43 PM

Waitin' for the iPhone Nano: Phone + iPod - Web and email. That said, if it comes down in price a bit in the next 12 months as is, I'll jump (someone in my office got one over the weekend, and it is very very very smooth).
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Those sound like mostly good reasons for you to not get an iphone, but games? There's no reason to assume that the iphone won't have games. Obviously the current crop of iPod games are designed around a scroll wheel and wouldn't work with a touch screen, but it's just a matter of time before they bring out iPhone-specific games.
Are they really going to be able to make reasonably quick interactive games given the limitation of running a web page on a slow ARM CPU? Even something simple like Brick Breaker (I don't know what the right title for games like that is) seems like it would hard to do well.
Sure, they can make web pages for Traffic and even Bejeweled (with limitations on the graphics flashyness).

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2007, 06:11 PM

Switched from TMobile. Had a very fun time with customer service speaking to them about canceling my service.
"The iPhone doesn't have a replaceable battery." "Neither does my iPod and that's two years old and doesn't need a battery replacement. My BlackBerry has a replaceable battery and the only time I have ever had to take it out is when TMobile support tells me to, to reset my BlackBerry"

"We have the TMobile Wing coming out soon which will do everything the iPhone will"
"Will it sync easily with my Mac?"
". . . I don't know"

This went on for about 30 minutes.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Are they really going to be able to make reasonably quick interactive games given the limitation of running a web page on a slow ARM CPU? Even something simple like Brick Breaker (I don't know what the right title for games like that is) seems like it would hard to do well.
Sure, they can make web pages for Traffic and even Bejeweled (with limitations on the graphics flashyness).
I don't think games are going to be web apps (although there may be some of those as well). I expect that Apple will sell iPhone games in the iTunes Store in the same way that it sells iPod games.

-Q-
Jul 2, 2007, 06:49 PM

I switched from T-mobile to AT&T. I had been under a two year contract with T-mobile, but thanks to the fact that they increased the cost of text messages, I was able to cancel with no penalty. So far, I've been pleased with the reception I've gotten with the iPhone/AT&T. If only their edge speeds weren't so slow (t-mobile's network seemed faster but never did a head-to-head comparison).

Oversoul
Senior User
Jul 2, 2007, 06:53 PM

Switched from T-Mobile. I've been with T-Mobile for years -- back when it was still Voicestream. They've always had great customer service, but I've become increasingly frustrated with T-Mobile for a while now.

First, I got really shoddy reception in San Francisco. Come on, seriously, I'm in the heart of a techie city, not out in the boonies, and T-Mobile still couldn't give me clear service in my apartment (where I use my cell phone in lieu of a land line). Not only that, I'd often get no bars and dropped calls at inopportune times. Second, T-Mobile doesn't go far enough to get phone exclusives. The only notable exceptions were the Pearl and Sidekicks. Even before the iPhone was announced, I was looking longingly at Cingular's Blackberry exclusives. And there are a few other issues I won't go into....

I was on the last few months of a year-long contract, but I couldn't wait. T-Mobile's customer service really wasn't enough for me to put up with the lack of "service."

On a related note, here's a hilarious recording of a guy trying to cancel his T-Mobile service: Canceling tmobile | A Whole Lotta Nothing.

If anyone's not interested in switching from their current provider to AT&T for the iPhone, they should still call up their customer service reps and bargain with them for a better deal while using the thought of switching as leverage. The iPhone's got a lot of people switching and the other carriers smell desperate to bend over backwards to retain their customers if they can.

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2007, 08:40 PM

Hells yeah!

I have a year left on my contract with Verizon and don't really have the cash flow to switch sooner, but once I have the means and the contract is up I will definitely get an iPhone. I'm expecting a lot of updates and features to be added over the coming year, and I hope that all the kinks on the AT&T side will be worked out by then. So far it seems the majority of the complaints from new iPhone owners seem to stem from AT&T issues. That's sort of good for Apple but sort of bad for Apple. Not everyone will make the distinction.

vln2
Jul 2, 2007, 09:08 PM

Used PDAs for many years. Was with T-Mobile, switched both with my wife to AT&T getting one of the first iPhones.

MacTheKnife
Jul 2, 2007, 09:15 PM

I switched from a BlackBerry 8800 and T-Mobile.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2007, 09:17 PM

Goodbye, Sprint! Hello, iPhone!

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

MacHeadChef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 09:30 PM

I cancelled my $50 data plan with Verizon for my blackberry, but I'm still using Verizon. Now I have the iPhone and share a Family plan with a friend on ATT. I really hope ATT changed and will only get better in the future.

iCapture
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 09:40 PM

i switched, i was using the blackberry and i was on Cingular.

The service isn't spectacular, i still haven't set my iPhone up, but service isn't not too terrible where i live.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Goodbye, Sprint! Hello, iPhone!
What he said.

Also, goodbye reliable reception all over my house and even free roaming at my parents' house. Hello ZERO bars in my house. Hello standing in the backyard to get 1 or 2 bars. Hello ZERO bars at my parents' house.

There was an article in the paper today promising new towers in my part of town! We'll see.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2007, 12:03 AM

These things really vary from place to place. My parents have Sprint and I (obviously) have Cingular/AT&T. I get 4-5 bars in their *basement* where they are lucky to get any signal at all with Sprint.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
These things really vary from place to place.
Yes that's true. I read a review about cell phones awhile back and they showed some networks are better in certain areas because those networks invested more towers in those areas. Like you said it varies from place to place. The article recommended that you ask other cell phone users in your area about their reception quality to see which network does the best in your area. The cell phone companies are adding new towers all the time but whether they have enough for your area is really the question.

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 01:37 PM

For the people who are actually talking to their cell phone carriers about canceling their contract -- why are you doing that at all? Just port your number when you activate iPhone. That will automatically close your account. Just pay the final bill.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2007, 01:42 PM

I would like to see a reliable statistic on how many people switched to AT&T this past weekend. I wonder what the other carriers were going through, watching possible tens of thousands of people cancel their accounts over one weekend.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2007, 08:36 AM

From a recent article that I read Verizon has tired to mimic Cingular/AT&T by introducing new "all-in-one plans."
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 09:11 AM

They have but they're about $20 more than the comparable AT&T plan.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2007, 10:37 AM

Switched from a Blackberry Pearl on T-Mobile and opted for a family plan with wife. T-Mobile tried offering me the Wing as well with the same iPhone FUD. I asked the rep if he's used one to come up with those conclusions and the cancellation went pretty smooth from there.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

Camelot
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2007, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I would like to see a reliable statistic on how many people switched to AT&T this past weekend. I wonder what the other carriers were going through, watching possible tens of thousands of people cancel their accounts over one weekend.
It's not an official statistic, but one report (from the BBC, I think) said that 40% of iPhone activations were new AT&T customers - presumably mostly switchers, but possibly also people getting their first phone, or a secondary one to avoid paying termination fees with their existing carrier.

Either way, that's a significant number for AT&T. Assuming 1 million iPhones sold, that's 400,000 new customers. Even at $50/month, that's $20 million dollars a month in extra revenue for AT&T. I hope Steve squeezed them HARD.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

sailin74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2007, 12:12 PM

Well seeing that when I switched from Verizon to Cingular after my contract was up, and Verizon charged me an early termination fee that took a year to dispute, I definitely won't be going back. You could be screwing up the poll numbers by not having a "Current AT&T Customer" Category.

I would have switched for the iPhone and the fact that Verizon's service wasn't that great. I don't want to watch TV on my phone either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules