Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Targ.Disk Mode/Migration Assist from External (Time Machine) Drive

Targ.Disk Mode/Migration Assist from External (Time Machine) Drive
icibaqu
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2009, 10:12 AM

Hey everyone,

I have a 20" G5 iMac that I want to sell (interested*?) in order to buy a new Intel iMac. I would rather have cash from the sale in hand before buying the Intel version, but would really like the benefit of a Target Disk Mode style transfer.

I also have a 1TB external drive connected to Time Machine. Can I either A) connect the External to a new Intel Mac and have it repopulate the new HD with all the info from the G5, a la Target Disk Mode (sort of as if my drive had failed and I had put in a new hard drive) or B) Somehow create a disk image on the external drive that I could use just as easily as Target Disk Mode? or C) Some other, much simpler suggestion that I haven't thought of?

I'm trying to include things Target Disk Mode would include, such as file location, safari bookmarks, etc for multiple users (admin, my user and my wife's user). Oh, and do I need to separately backup each user with Time Machine or does it just back up everyone when it backs up, regardless of the user?

Thanks for all advice. I appreciate it.

* if you are interested in a 20" G5 iMac, mine is from May 2005, has a 250 gb drive, 2.0 GHz, 1.5 GB of RAM, would come with a clean install of Leopard and iWork '08, and is generally in excellent condition. You can PM me.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2009, 02:40 PM

When you run the first-time setup utility on a new machine (or after re-installing the OS) you have options to import your user settings from another machine or a Time Machine backup.

The TM option will restore your user account and content as it was on your old machine. It won't copy system-level files though, and IIRC it won't copy applications, but those are easily copied over after the fact.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules