Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme + Time machine?

Airport Extreme + Time machine?
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2011, 10:43 PM

I had a thread here a while back about my airport express that seems to be slowly dying. I did a search for it, couldn't find it, and hell, you guys don't get a lot of threads around here (in this subfora) anyway. I figure even a possibly REPEAT question might get you all excited. And I mean. I've been hanging around this joint for years on and off. Doesn't that AFFORD ME SOME PRIVILEGES?!?!?!?!!!!

So anyway. The airport express is dying. I have to unplug and replug it in everyday. Can't really figure out why. I've done resets at some point along the line, to no avail. I guess it's just dying (unless you know something else going on).

So I'm thinking about getting an airport extreme. There's one on the refurbished apple store for $129.
Refurbished AirPort Extreme Base Station (current generation) - Apple Store (U.S.)

Is that the same one that is on the apple store site currently, just refurbished?

More importantlyer - if I plug a cheap giant USB drive into the back of it will it do the time machine thing? backups are neat. I do some manual ones now, but a fancy wireless time machine style one seems pretty damned cool. It looks like it will be all recognized as a hard drive, but I can't find a straight answer as to whether or not it will do that time machine thing.

TLDR;
1. is Refurbished AirPort Extreme Base Station (current generation) - Apple Store (U.S.) the same as the currently for sale one?
2. will it do the time machine thing if I plug a usb drive into it?
3. anyone else rocking a similar setup?

thanks

ibook_steve
Mar 5, 2011, 02:25 AM

"Current generation" = current version of the hardware, so yes.

Time Machine will work with any drive, including drives connected to an Extreme. The first backup will take a long time, so you would do a directly connected backup first and then attach the drive to the Extreme for the incremental backups.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2011, 04:06 PM

DOH. I missed that detail where it said "current generation". I'll blame the merlot I was enjoying last night.

Thanks for your response. Ordered!

Forum Links
Forum Rules