Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > HELP-Problem with OSX?

HELP-Problem with OSX?
audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2003, 11:24 AM

I am not sure this is a Powerbook specific problem,I suspect it is not.

Anyway,I have lost the ability to Drag anything almost anywhere on my machine.I can open a folder and drag it by the bar on top but I can not take anything from it and drag to trash or anywhere else.I also can not drag on the desktop. And of course I can not drag files to preform a back-up either.

I have been to the Apple store here and the "GURU's" have proclaimed it the strangest thing they have ever seen. Naturally I am somewhat skeptical and scared at the implications of this for my data and ability to restore some function to my machine.

On the PC side when this is said it means I am screwed and need to reformat the drive and reload the OS from scratch. I could not even tell if that is really what the GURU was suggesting but he sure was not offering to be any part of it.

He suggested that I use Terminal to do a Back-up but it seems so cryptic I could not hope to know what I was doing without a manual of some kind.

For several reasons I don't want to have to do this but I really need to know the real answer before I decide.

Apparantly there are a few ways to restore the System without damaging my Data/Software but that may be the source of my problems in the first place.

If I try to work from Back-up that I have they may be defective too.

Any Ideas????

It is a TiBook 667DVI but I doubt that matters.
It has been running fine and I am posting this from it.It just developed these problems suddenly it seems.

Thanks in Advance

Ed

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2003, 11:43 AM

The terminal has "man" pages --> there you have your manual.

example:

the "ls" command, to list stuff
if you type "man ls" "without quotes" you will get the manual for "ls".

Forum Links
Forum Rules