Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Toying again on the Dark Side

Toying again on the Dark Side
audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 11:13 AM

So I got an IBM X30 the other day and have been playing around with it and I have to say it is impressive.
It has been a few years since I switched,and now use a PC only when I have to program devices with PC only software or a serial port.

For those who unfamiliar the X series is the appriximate size of the 12"PB but thinner and more than a pound lighter.
It has features that put it right in competition with the PB if thats possible.

It does not have an optical drive built-in but it is a lot lighter weight too.
The one I got is:
Pentium 1.2ghz/512m/40gig/12.1"/IBM Keyboard!/Firewire/USB/PC Card slot/CF slot/Internal wi-fi slot/IR/Trackpoint.

The thing is nice!
It feels very fast and the screen is great. I think the keyboard feels as good or better than my 12".
It wakes from sleep just about as fast as my 12"

Anyway,I am not considering switching back but I am amazed at how far this PC has come in a few years.
Any Thoughts?

RonnieoftheRose
Feb 10, 2005, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by audvidsvs:

Any Thoughts?
It's rubbish.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2005, 11:41 AM

Any Thoughts?
Windows.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 11:59 AM

Thinkpads are by and large just excellent. If Apple didn't exist, I wouldn't get anything else.

I'd also like to see Apple slim down their 12" laptops by a pound or so. I think we're due for a revamp sometime this year; the form-factor for the iBook / 12" PB has remained the same for over two years now.

That said.... XP vs. OS X? No contest.

RonnieoftheRose
Feb 10, 2005, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
Thinkpads are by and large just excellent. If Apple didn't exist, I wouldn't get anything else.

I'd also like to see Apple slim down their 12" laptops by a pound or so. I think we're due for a revamp sometime this year; the form-factor for the iBook / 12" PB has remained the same for over two years now.
It's the best form factor there is considering the features and build quality of the machine. An X-Brite screen and a G5 would make it the best model of any computer ever.

cpac
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 12:31 PM

For those who unfamiliar the X series is the appriximate size of the 12"PB but thinner and more than a pound lighter.

Not having an optical drive is a HUGE feature difference. Lugging around an external drive is a pain in the ass, and I'm sure apple could make the 12 inch lighter and thinner if they didn't want to have an optical drive in it - but I believe Apple's goal (and a highly worthy one at that) is to make their laptops fully-functional without add-ons etc.

That said, thinkpads are nice (though since IBM sold their computer-making business, who knows if they'll stay that way). Were I forced to buy a windows box, I'd probably go with a thinkpad or a sony.
cpac

hanxu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 12:36 PM

Some features of windows provides are pretty good, like better flash support (it's quite important for me) ...

however, what I prefer Mac is because of long term use, the most important thing is that when I use my Mac, I don't need to reinstall my OS every so often, also, I don't need to worry about virus or spywares...

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 01:35 PM

I love Thinkpads! They're the best Wintel lappies out there, aside from the Dell 700m which I also love.

There's nothing wrong with a well kept Windows operating system. Windows isn't inheritly bad, just like OS X isn't automatically God's gift to the operating system world.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

euphras
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 02:18 PM

ThinkPads are rocksolid. If job-related circumstances would EVER force me to get a Wintel notebook i would definetely choose a ThinkPad....

....maybe run some linux flavour on it as a boot option

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 02:40 PM

So I got an IBM X30 the other day and have been playing around with it and I have to say it is impressive.
It has been a few years since I switched,and now use a PC only when I have to program devices with PC only software or a serial port.

The one I got is:
Pentium 1.2ghz/512m/40gig/12.1"/IBM Keyboard!/Firewire/USB/PC Card slot/CF slot/Internal wi-fi slot/IR/Trackpoint.

The thing is nice!
It feels very fast and the screen is great. I think the keyboard feels as good or better than my 12".
It wakes from sleep just about as fast as my 12"

Anyway,I am not considering switching back but I am amazed at how far this PC has come in a few years.
Any Thoughts?
I'm sure the hardware is nice- and the price as well... but Windows?!?

Opinion:- just don't post when you have viruses, crashes, spam, etc. Oh wait- you won't be able to- you'll be too busy reinstalling Windows.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2005, 01:35 AM

Ugh!!!

Windows is not that bad! I hate how Mac users have to knock its stability in order to justify their more expensive choice.

I used to be like that -- until I had to start using Windows a few years ago for work. I don't have frequent crashes or anything like that. A little virus protection installed, and you're set. So you have to run AdAware and a couple other programs once in a while. Big whoop. You also need to repair permissions after installing an OS X update. Same freakin' difference.

OS X's advantage is that it's a little more streamlined for the basic user, it has some forward-thinking aspects of it oriented toward multitasking, and it's got a level of integration with key Apple programs that doesn't exist on the Windows side.

I love my Macs, but geez people, give up the myth...

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2005, 02:40 AM

I'm not trying to knock on Windows or anything..
But i fired up the PC today and installed a Wireless network card.
Everything worked fine and i decided to reboot.
At the window screen where Windows is loading, it freezes up.

Now, i reboot it again and basicly try every configuration.
I run it in safe mode. It works.
Safe mode w/networking. Freezes.
Last known good config. Freezes.
So basicly.. all i can do right now is run it in safe mode ...

Now, as for backing everything up before i reformat...
I have about 80-100GB worth of stuff shared between two hard drives.
So far, its taken me about 5 hours to back up some of the stuff; burning it on DVDs and moving stuff from one hard drive to another.. and i'm not finished yet.

I have yet to reinstall Windows XP which will take me about a good hour... and from then on, reinstall all the programs I had before. This isn't including the time required to run spyware, antivirus programs weekly

Sure... some people can run Windows XP fine... I have for the last 3-4 years. But once you get hit with something, you get hard.

Sure I can just reformat it, but I can't just erase all my data... That's why i have two hard drives with 120gb.

Now, don't get me wrong... Thinkpads are nice.. and i think the Viao series is too.. but i'd prefer a more stable system.

One of the reasons why i switched to Apple.. is cause of windows unstable software... Anything can happen...

Stick with a Powerbook... I know i don't regret it..

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2005, 10:06 AM

The major advantage that the PowerBook has over the IBM X-series and the Dell 700m that someone mentioned is the video card. The PowerBooks usually have better video cards than their PC bretheren.

I could be mistaken (too lazy to go look it up) but doesn't the ThinkPad X use shared video RAM? I'm pretty sure that the Dell does also.

Sony has a nice sub-notebook with a 13.3" screen and a decent ATI video card, but the price is quite a bit higher than the PowerBook.
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2005, 10:36 AM

The 12" PB is slightly thicker than the 15" and 17", is there enough room in the 12" to slim it down to the magic 1" to match the bigger powerbooks and make it lighter?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

JoshXotic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 12:39 PM

If Apple could get the 12" down to the size and weight of the X series I think I could convert some executives. Until then it is going to be hard. I would be happy to have OS X on Intel and run it on X series if I could... =(
Life begins at 600rwhp.

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2005, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by JoshXotic:
If Apple could get the 12" down to the size and weight of the X series I think I could convert some executives. Until then it is going to be hard. I would be happy to have OS X on Intel and run it on X series if I could... =(
See above... no optical drive = thinner/lighter/less-useful.
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2005, 09:31 AM

OMG. I comes with no internal optical drive, but OTOH it's got all this crap:
...PC Card slot/CF slot/IR/Trackpoint...
IBM's got its priorities up their you-know-whats.

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
It's rubbish.
Roger that.

gzeus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 03:28 PM

Since a 3 lbs. laptop is the current gold-standard for ultraportables and the windows world is the only place to get it, I find that I'm using Firefox more and more as my "operating system." I can take notes within it, have a 5 day weather forecast in the lower right corner, 1-click lookup of books at my library, rss feeds. If you need an ultraportable with an integrated dvd drive, check out the 2.9lb Sharp Actius MP30 - 512mb ram, 32mb ati gfx card. The Fujitsu Lifebook p7010d has a faster processor but shared video memory.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2005, 03:57 PM

IBMs are very nice. Their T series (currently the T42) is the only notebook I'd really match up to my 15" powerbook.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

philc
Feb 12, 2005, 04:08 PM

The problem is not the hardware it is the operating system. I use a Dell laptop all day long at work and have no poroblems with the hardware. I can say the same about the cheapest Inspiron to the most expensive lattitude.

I did not switch to Apple because of the cool looks of the powerbook (although it is a bonus!). I switched for stability, security and ease of digital lifestyle use.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2005, 01:37 AM

That's also why I'm using apple and OSX. I like PC hardware, but they just don't run OSX...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2005, 02:05 AM

Like the two users above... The main reason is the OS.
Worry free OS ... basicly don't have to worry about it crashing and having to reformat ... virus / spyware scanning...

And...

The great design and styling of the Powerbook is just the added bonus.

cdetdi
Feb 13, 2005, 03:06 AM

I don't buy the anti Windows rhetoric. OSX is clearly superior, but it still has flaws that windows doesn't. I've NEVER had a problem with Windows on my personal machines. After a year it gets so bogged down it can be close to useless, so, reformats and reinstalls are required. Keeping up with anti-spyware tools is important, but I've never had virus software and have never been infected. I'm pretty much OCD with what is going on with the computer. Reformatting isn't that big of a deal since I back everything up anyway. That being said, 75% of the PCs on campus have some sort of crap on them that the user did not intend. Many machines have needed serious attention just to allow them to be workable. Of all the "average" users with Macs, I haven't seen one problem outside of Macs across campus being denied IP adresses one day.

I support having many platforms. I believe that having OSX as a 90% owner of the desktop marketplace would put it in just as bad a position as Windows. Seeing Apple go up to 25% and then having windows and Linux split the rest would be my ideal. Keep Apple alive but don't make it too mainstream so that it becomes an evil empire or becomes targeted by those with deviant goals.

cdetdi
I'd rather be playing ultimate...

1.5G4 15" AlBook

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2005, 04:30 AM

Originally posted by cdetdi:
I support having many platforms. I believe that having OSX as a 90% owner of the desktop marketplace would put it in just as bad a position as Windows. Seeing Apple go up to 25% and then having windows and Linux split the rest would be my ideal. Keep Apple alive but don't make it too mainstream so that it becomes an evil empire or becomes targeted by those with deviant goals.
Bingo.

Dr.Michael
Feb 13, 2005, 07:00 AM

I don't know the x series. Personally I need an optical drive. But I support your opinion on ibm hardware. I still use a Thinkpad T40 and it is indeed first rate quality and it is definitely faster than my powerbook.

The only problem is that there is no good operating system for ibm.
Windows clearly sucks for my work as a scientist/java programmer. So I use linux. It is better, faster and more stable for everyday tasks than windows, but it sucks even more if something new has to be configured. It still targets geeky commandline-only kiddies who obviously have no work to do except playing with their geeky commandline-only toys.

Thus I am really glad os x exists. And I also hope that apple keeps a strong market position to go on with the developement but does not become too mainstream. I don't wan't a gates-balmer god-team be replaced by a jobs god.

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2005, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by John123:
Ugh!!!

Windows is not that bad! I hate how Mac users have to knock its stability in order to justify their more expensive choice.

I used to be like that -- until I had to start using Windows a few years ago for work. I don't have frequent crashes or anything like that. A little virus protection installed, and you're set. So you have to run AdAware and a couple other programs once in a while. Big whoop. You also need to repair permissions after installing an OS X update. Same freakin' difference.

OS X's advantage is that it's a little more streamlined for the basic user, it has some forward-thinking aspects of it oriented toward multitasking, and it's got a level of integration with key Apple programs that doesn't exist on the Windows side.

I love my Macs, but geez people, give up the myth...
Windows isn't that bad when it works you just need to be caught in one of those situations where you reboot your machine haven't changed a thing and you get a blue screen of death on boot up. You can argue it hasn't happened to you yet but when it does you'll be cursing your head off.

We use this to keep windows working at work http://www.faronics.com/html/product.asp

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 13, 2005, 01:52 PM

Black with red, green & blue buttons....so 80s for cying out loud!!
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 13, 2005, 01:56 PM

Actually, I just remembered what it reminded me of. Must be the grey keys/black case/diagonal rainbow logo combination:
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

RonnieoftheRose
Feb 13, 2005, 02:36 PM

The Mac mini should have been like that. Basically a 12" PowerBook without the screen. Price could have been the same as the mini currently is. Add an option to attach a screen and it becomes a portable too.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 03:42 PM

z0ne81, you've got me all nostalgic now, back to my pre mac days when i was a kid, back when you loaded games from a cassette tape. Those were the days.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2005, 04:44 PM

i am very pro - osx now since switching more than a year ago, however there are some issues with os x and both windows xp. neither operating system is flawless, but os x just handles basic operations seamlessly and integrates them into one nice package. i am still an avid windows power user, due to my line of work (networking/consulting) so i agree with some people that upkeep/mantenience on a pc is a little higher than an apple machine. However, any decent user with some basic common sense has the ability to mess up a windows box very easily. As for stability concerns, win 2k/XP pro and os X are both extremely stable operating systems but i can crash both of em heheh. operating systems have come a long way. alot of pc notebooks (especially the IBMs) are excellent quality even though some of the board members disagree.

my beef with the 12" powerbook is this:
1. weight (even with the addition of the optical drive, it shouldnt be this heavy)
2. no pcmcia (i really would like to be able to pop in a Verizon EVDO card and plug away but i cant) most pc laptops around this weight all have this. i also would like to pop in my compact flash from my digicam.
3. screen (granted the tech was a little behind then and pc manufacturers recently starting making those x-brite type screens) but its not terribly a big deal. a widescreen format for the 12" should be on the next revision/update
4. BATTERY, of the 15 and 17, the 12 has the worst battery compartment design, where the edge of the foot is part of the compartment. for a $1500+ it is absolutely unacceptable that my computer wobbles around and cant stay steady. To make things worse the little plastic feet has fallen off somewhere so now i have to lodge a bigger piece of paper to keep the computer even. anyone know where i can buy some new plastic feet?

and to end on a happy note, i wouldnt dare do this on my windows box:
http://www.crazeazn.com/images/screenshot1.pdf
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

RonnieoftheRose
Feb 13, 2005, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by crazeazn:
anyone know where i can buy some new plastic feet?
[/B]
A local Apple Store will stick feet on for free. Personally I take them all off.

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 13, 2005, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by ajprice:
z0ne81, you've got me all nostalgic now, back to my pre mac days when i was a kid, back when you loaded games from a cassette tape. Those were the days.
Long live the days of:
LOAD "" ENTER [PLAY]
.......BOOOOOOO-BIP! ..........BOOOOOOO-BIIIP! ...........BOOOOOOOO-BIPIBIPIBBIPIBPIBPBIPBIBPIBPBI!

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2005, 07:04 AM

Let's add some balance to the discussion.

OS X IS SLOW AS ****

In basic, day-to-day, core OS functions, it's so sluggish. And yes, even if you feed it RAM. In pure performance, my Windows machines kick its butt on a routine basis.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2005, 07:15 AM

OSX is not slow, and it's a helluva lot more stable than any peecee running windoze.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Dr.Michael
Feb 14, 2005, 08:51 AM

OS X IS SLOW AS ****
Well, in overall system performance I cannot deny that there is truth in this statement.

My measurements of raw processing power of some simple commandline c code on the other hand shows that macs catch up with comparable pcs within a range of some percent.

But Java code is slow. A guy here stated that this is due to big endian to little endian conversion (I did not check this).

And the aqua eye candy makes the system feel slower than the processor really is.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 08:53 AM

Just ordered one of these since Apple has absolutely no offerings of 12" or under laptops with PCMCIA card slots:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...puters_TSeries

It will be interesting to compare speed, since this little laptop has a 4200 RPM HD as does my 17". Though it has only shared memory it also has a 400 Mhz serial bus, DVDRW, Bluetooth, XBRITE screen, integrated wireless LAN b/g.
I actually prefer a smaller widescreen, since I have its alter ego, the 17" Powerbook. The Fujutsi P7010 was also an even better option, but since their 1.2 Ghz models are not shipping yet I chose the Sony T250.

As far as operating systems go, I used Windows 2000 at home and at my job for years sometime ago and in my opinion it was fairly rock solid; a far cry above Windows 98 and the abominable Windows ME. I am not worried about reliability, though viruses are undeniably a concern.

With my Verizon PC card my little toy will go with me anywhere without base stations or routers and let me access the net with unlimited broadband. The PC5220 card works in my 17" without software, but could use some with speed enhancing drivers.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum34.html

The little T250 will be much more practical surfing the net in my bed, in a car or outside in the park net surfing because of the XBRITE screen. Though OSX is a great OS, I know Windows is no dog and I am not afraid to use it. I think it is more of a prejudice here among some users than fact, as well as some isolated incidents, and that prejudice can exist on both sides. I have had no real complaints for years with W2k except its cut back with gamepad drivers and am looking forward to getting back into Windows and enjoying both worlds.
( Last edited by urrl78; Feb 14, 2005 at 11:07 AM. )

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
Long live the days of:
LOAD "" ENTER [PLAY]
.......BOOOOOOO-BIP! ..........BOOOOOOO-BIIIP! ...........BOOOOOOOO-BIPIBIPIBBIPIBPIBPBIPBIBPIBPBI!
C64

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 12:42 PM

back to topic... IBM laptops are really nice.. top notch. For business use I think they are the ones. I also like the build quality of fujitsu's laptops.

regards

RonnieoftheRose
Feb 14, 2005, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by urrl78:
[B]Just ordered one of these since Apple has absolutely no offerings of 12" or under laptops with PCMCIA card slots:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...puters_TSeries

It will be interesting to compare speed, since this little laptop has a 4200 RPM HD as does my 17".
If you want to compare the speed try to find anything like the new iPhoto or iMovie. Try editing HDV for a start using any application in the same price range as the iLife suite.

Macs are about software that gets the job done with ease. People who complain about speed are those who spend half the day resizing windows to see if it's fluid enough to be able to...resize windows fluidly.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2005, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
OSX is not slow, and it's a helluva lot more stable than any peecee running windoze.
Sorry friend, but it is slow. To deny it means you're not being objective. Even many of staunchest supporters acknowledge this fact -- check all the old forum archives for discussions of its zippiness. You'll find comments from me from years ago talking about how I miss the "zip" of OS 9.

OS X is finally tolerable and usable with Panther, but it still pales in comparison to OS 9 and Windows 2000 in its raw speed in core OS tasks. It focuses too much on glitz and glamor and cute eye candy and less on the good stuff. Just drag your hard drive icon down to the dock and then control-click to search hierarchically. Now go do that on a G3/233 in OS 9 using the Apple menu. Now go do it using a Windows Start menu.

If you think the OS X implementation is faster, put down the crack pipe and pick up a stopwatch and try it again.

superfula
Senior User
Feb 14, 2005, 06:59 PM

Sorry friend, but it is slow. To deny it means you're not being objective. Even many of staunchest supporters acknowledge this fact -- check all the old forum archives for discussions of its zippiness. You'll find comments from me from years ago talking about how I miss the "zip" of OS 9.

OS X is finally tolerable and usable with Panther, but it still pales in comparison to OS 9 and Windows 2000 in its raw speed in core OS tasks. It focuses too much on glitz and glamor and cute eye candy and less on the good stuff. Just drag your hard drive icon down to the dock and then control-click to search hierarchically. Now go do that on a G3/233 in OS 9 using the Apple menu. Now go do it using a Windows Start menu.

If you think the OS X implementation is faster, put down the crack pipe and pick up a stopwatch and try it again.
100% agreed.

I'd rather be running OS X over windows anyday, but not because windows sucks. I've been using the same machine for the past year without one virus, without one piece of adware, and without one single crash. Bottom line...if you have any clue how to upkeep a pc, you won't have troubles. I do the BARE MINIMUM in upkeep, and I have no problems. This whole "OS X is more stable than XP" is pure fiction.

cdetdi
Feb 14, 2005, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by superfula:
This whole "OS X is more stable than XP" is pure fiction.
Wouldn't go THAT far. For a power user, they are comparable, but, for common users, no way. OSX is more stable.

cdetdi
I'd rather be playing ultimate...

1.5G4 15" AlBook

osxisfun
Feb 15, 2005, 01:10 AM

Mmm.. viruses and adware bots and spyware goodies...

I seriously hope you don't put your bank account info on that win machine...

Dr.Michael
Feb 15, 2005, 04:22 AM

Just drag your hard drive icon down to the dock and then control-click to search hierarchically. Now go do that on a G3/233 in OS 9 using the Apple menu. Now go do it using a Windows Start menu.
Your remarks are true. But you cannot compare the windows start menu with browsing a folder in OS X.

Windows only shows you a prearranged list of links. OS X scans the directory in situ.
True is the comparison with os 9.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2005, 08:56 AM

Interesting. Was about to comment on how OSX skips when you collapse or re open its windows but it isn't happening now on my 17". Could it be the update to 10.3.8 or is it just a good day?

Not sure what your point is about HDV. iMovie etc. unless you are pointing out software Windows does not have, which looks over the fact that there is software that Windows has but Mac does not.

Now that's a really vain argument in the making...I don't understand why bickering is so necessary here. When I was a PC user Windows 98 was junk and Windows ME was an abomination. But Windows 2000 gave me the first realization that an OS could be reliable. When I switched to Macs I was frustrated when OS9 would not boot the new version Powerbooks, but I got over it and aside from the spinning rainbow beachball at rare times I love OSX. I can't remember when was the last time I saw a Kernel Panic. Now on my job after using Windows XP I see that same reliability of Windows 2000. I am sure there are some here with isolated incidences of problems with XP just as I am sure there are incidents here with OSX. Let's not take one experience with an OS as an excuse to run it into the ground. It's like saying I was attacked and robbed by one Hispanic; therefore all Hispanics can't be trusted. Gimme a break. Toying on the dark side, huh? Maybe if more of us would actually toy around there, aside from a little virus protection we would see it's not so dark after all. Apparently the other 95% of the world doesn't think so, now does it?
( Last edited by urrl78; Feb 15, 2005 at 09:34 AM. )

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 15, 2005, 11:06 AM

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
(images removed)
Looks like the opening title screen for Skate or Die! for the Commodore 64 (great electric guitar simulation for the title music).

My PC got its first spyware on Sunday and it was all my fault. I tried a freeware Divx encoder and it also installed all kinds of nasties. Fortunately I keep all my data on a D: drive so I can redo my Windows XP install from scratch in about an hour (a little extreme, granted, but it's easy for me to do). From now on I'm only using Dr. Divx...

Voch

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2005, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by urrl78:
Interesting. Was about to comment on how OSX skips when you collapse or re open its windows but it isn't happening now on my 17". Could it be the update to 10.3.8 or is it just a good day?

Not sure what your point is about HDV. iMovie etc. unless you are pointing out software Windows does not have, which looks over the fact that there is software that Windows has but Mac does not.

Now that's a really vain argument in the making...I don't understand why bickering is so necessary here. When I was a PC user Windows 98 was junk and Windows ME was an abomination. But Windows 2000 gave me the first realization that an OS could be reliable. When I switched to Macs I was frustrated when OS9 would not boot the new version Powerbooks, but I got over it and aside from the spinning rainbow beachball at rare times I love OSX. I can't remember when was the last time I saw a Kernel Panic. Now on my job after using Windows XP I see that same reliability of Windows 2000. I am sure there are some here with isolated incidences of problems with XP just as I am sure there are incidents here with OSX. Let's not take one experience with an OS as an excuse to run it into the ground. It's like saying I was attacked and robbed by one Hispanic; therefore all Hispanics can't be trusted. Gimme a break. Toying on the dark side, huh? Maybe if more of us would actually toy around there, aside from a little virus protection we would see it's not so dark after all. Apparently the other 95% of the world doesn't think so, now does it?

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2005, 12:19 PM

Just wish more of us would realize Windows bashing only results in a lot of broken glass and scatters a lot of would be switchers from Apple. Why join a bunch of snobby Mac users with their noses stuck so high up Steve Job's butt that they can't smell anything but their own assinine insistance for the last word? That seems to be the theme of some here, but not all. But still; one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. I feel we as Mac users should uphold a better reputation. We have a quality OS, fine hardware and I believe we should at least have a little more dignity about it; that's all. The origional poster just commented basically he was amazed how far the PC had developed, and I agree with him. OSX certainly looks better, no argument here, but don't tell me XP is not dependable because I use it at my job every day, and it is maintained by a group of knowledgable and experienced people using the correct software. In the last 5 years I have never had a virus with XP or W2k and any instances are extremely rare in my building. Saying the present Windows "is rubbish" only lets the knowledgeable OSX/XP users of us realize how outdated your thinking is. The rubbish remark has been out dated for some time now along with Windows 98. So I guess some of us must be still living in the 90's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules