Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Sloooooow laserwriter printing in OS X Jaguar

Sloooooow laserwriter printing in OS X Jaguar
csimon2
Jun 12, 2003, 06:49 PM

I recently updated one of my machines at work to OS X 10.2. This is the test machine to see how everything goes and feels. I use OS X daily at home and have never experienced this problem, but then again I don't have a laserwriter at home either.

The problem is, OS X takes an extraordinary amount of time to print to my Apple LaserWriter 8500. In 9, printing a page took seconds. In X, it can sometimes take up to 10 minutes to print a simple page! I (think) installed the printer correctly using the correct driver in Print Center.

The pages do eventually print, but they take a long time. Is there any reason for this? The 8500 is connected to the network via an Apple Localtalk to Ethernet adapter. And printing in 9 is still quite speedy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

csimon2  (op)
Jun 13, 2003, 12:56 PM

If I create a pdf of a webpage print file in OS X, and then restart in 9 and try to print the pdf, it takes exceptionally long as well. If I go to the same webpage and try and print from a OS 9 browser, speeds are fast again. What's up with that? Does it have something to do with the way OS X creates pdfs? Is it a bug in Safari when creating pdfs? Please help.

Morenix
Jun 13, 2003, 01:54 PM

have u check the files permissions?
lol
made on mac with .mac with a powermac and mac os!
they call it a community, not a monopoly

csimon2  (op)
Jun 14, 2003, 02:31 AM

"have u check the files permissions?"

Was that a joke or a serious question. The "lol" through me off. If serious, can you be specific as to what permissions I should check. Thanks.

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2003, 12:34 AM

One thing I learned is that Mac OS X generates large, bloated PDF files compared to Mac OS 9 when using applications like PrintToPDF. I think that's probably part of the problem why you're getting slower results. Other than that, I'm afraid I can't help too much since I use a HP LaserJet 5P. One thing I found is that I needed to expand the memory in the printer to get decent speed results under OS X -- maybe you should consider doing the same with the LaserWriter, particularly if OS X is generating large files for printing by default (?)

"Psssst..."

Forum Links
Forum Rules