Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Weird 10.3 Networking

Weird 10.3 Networking (Page 2)
LoungeBoyKip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
Check and see if Internet Firewall is enabled on your XP box. Right click on My Network Places icon, select properties, then select your NIC and right click, select properties, click on the Advanced tab and turn off Internet Connection Firewall.
No firewall. I got the XP box to find the printer by using some directions I found on the Apple discussion boards. Just seach under Panther Printer discussions for XP and you'll find them.

Now, problem is the print jobs are not printing. They seem to go through without a hitch on the XP box but they never print. The printer doesn't even warm up and no jobs appear on the queue on my Cube.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 30, 2003, 02:19 AM

Networking in X.3 is worse than X.1. X.2 was reliable.

WTF is Apple thinking?

Even a logout doesn't clear the Finder of the @#$!@#%'d up network browsing. I have to restart to get the damn thing to work. And even then, it often doesn't.

Despite the two methods others have mentioned, NEITHER work. The automount screws up everything, and gives me empty folders and claims they're my shares. And the manual mount never sees anything.

The method in OS X.2 was MUCH better. It Just Worked. Now I'm constantly fighting with Samba.

It looks like Apple just hasn't gotten the hang of Samba 3. This is REALLY bad implementation.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Oct 30, 2003 at 02:28 AM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2003, 03:06 AM

The only way to reliably correct this problem is to reboot BOTH the WIndows box and the Mac. What a waste of time, and for some, it would be impossible to reboot the Windows box.

Deleting the Finder and Desktop prefs does nothing.

Logging into another account on the Mac does nothing.

Simply put, Apple has screwed up big time.

YoungTurk
Oct 30, 2003, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by l008com:
First thing I need to know is how do you browser for fileservers? The browse button in the connect window in the finder, takes you to your "network" but only shows computers you are attached to. I want to connect to computers on my network that are DHCP, so I don't know their IP addresses. Also, I've noticed that sometimes I can connect to local machines without their icons showing up on the desktop, which means I can't disconnect from them. But i can navigate them because they show up in the "network" This is very strange behavior.
Update:

This seems to have fixed the problem:

Go to Applications>Utilities>Directory Access and make sure AppleTalk is enabled. It is not by default. Also, for good measure, delete everything from your Startup Items in System Preferences>Accounts.

YoungTurk
PB G4 12" 1.33 ghtz 1.25 RAM/80 HD/AE/SuperDrive, FP iMac 800 (Superdrive), Silver iPod Mini, iBook 600 Combo, PMac G4 733 (Superdrive), Snow iMac 600

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by YoungTurk:
Go to Applications>Utilities>Directory Access and make sure AppleTalk is enabled.
That shouldn't do anything at all to solve the problem, AFAIK.

YoungTurk
Oct 30, 2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
That shouldn't do anything at all to solve the problem, AFAIK.
But it has!

YoungTurk
PB G4 12" 1.33 ghtz 1.25 RAM/80 HD/AE/SuperDrive, FP iMac 800 (Superdrive), Silver iPod Mini, iBook 600 Combo, PMac G4 733 (Superdrive), Snow iMac 600

ValAJC123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 09:07 PM

Folks,

I had similar problems with OS X when it first came out seemingly years ago. Went with Dave then to solve the problems on the networks at that point.

After watching for a simple solution to the problems and not seeing one that solved all my problems I went to Thursby's website (http://www.thursby.com ) and downloaded the Panther fixed version of Dave. I think it is 4.1.1.

After re-installing Dave ( I had left it off when I did my Clean install of Panther) and setting the settings, EVERY server comes up, I can browse ALL servers on my work Windows network, and I can browse the WHOLE network for shared printers.

Realize that Apple will fix this and it is a lot cheaper for Apple to fix then buying Dave for about 129.00 or so last I checked, but it is an option for some at least until Apple cleans this issue up.

Good luck all.

ValAJC123
Powerbook Al G4 1.33mhz 1 Gig Ram 80 Gig HD
Powermac G4 500mhz 1 gig Ram 60 gig HD

"Remember Ryan. Somethings in here don't react well to bullets."

qfdguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 09:19 PM

But it has!

YoungTurk
It hasn't solved it for me. With many rebootings, I can get file sharing access to my Thinkpad (XP Pro) from either Cube or Tibook, but not consistently in the other direction, and I can't get the Windows laptop to see the printers on the LAN. It keeps telling me I'm not authorized. (Cube connected by Ethernet; Thinkpad and Tibook by 802.11b)

Even if some kludge involving the terminal commands and multiple reboots succeeded, it would be a Mac failure. This is horribly un-Mac-like. It's less friendly and reliable than Windows!

I want Windows networking to do two things simply and easily: to enable me to log a Tibook on to a business Windows network, share files and print, and to bring a Windows XP laptop home and log onto my home Mac WiFi Lan, share files and print! Please, Apple!

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by qfdguru:
I want Windows networking to do two things simply and easily: to enable me to log a Tibook on to a business Windows network, share files and print, and to bring a Windows XP laptop home and log onto my home Mac WiFi Lan, share files and print! Please, Apple!
Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!

I fear this is what you get with a yearly OS upgrade - unfinished features get replaced with newer unfinished features.

They should've added a refresh button to the network browser. The same rules apply as in the Finder search, which has a refresh button - it's too time-consuming to display the results dynamically, results don't change that frequently, but results definitely do change.. At the moment, we see servers not appearing and dead servers hanging around. Do we really have to say 'roll on 10.4'? sigh.

Chris

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2003, 06:59 AM

But it has!

YoungTurk
It only enables you to browse AppleTalk networks.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

threestain
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 09:32 AM

I'm getting all sorts of problems - I can no longer find any of the computers on our home network. After a lot of tinkering, they can finally see mine, but not me them.

Any ideas? Connecting to 2 XP machines, who can see each other fine.

Also is there any way to set up windows filesharing without having to have a seperate account so that they can log in and take stuff?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2003, 04:32 PM

Wow my little thread is a sticky woo hoo!!
Do I get any special powers now? I wanna decide who lives and who dies!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2003, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by clebin:
Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!

I fear this is what you get with a yearly OS upgrade - unfinished features get replaced with newer unfinished features.

They should've added a refresh button to the network browser. The same rules apply as in the Finder search, which has a refresh button - it's too time-consuming to display the results dynamically, results don't change that frequently, but results definitely do change.. At the moment, we see servers not appearing and dead servers hanging around. Do we really have to say 'roll on 10.4'? sigh.

Chris
Well, I dunno how much that would help. Even if I log out completely it doesn't help. My "refresh" is to reboot both my PC and my Mac.

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2003, 09:35 PM

Ok here is an interesting networking problem. When I restart the Network icon in the Finder window shows up as an alias. If it is clicked on it states that it is unable to find the original. This can be corrected either by logging out and in, not restarting, or quitting the finder and relaunching it. After doing this the Network icon is working fine.
I have tried reinstalling, archive and install, and enabling and disabling several networking protocols in directory access, all to no avail.
I also have tried uninstalling all the haxies I had installed. No luck. Any ideas?
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

Terri
Senior User
Nov 1, 2003, 05:30 PM

I used Cocktail to have the Finder show invisible files and this causes my network drives to show up on the desktop. It also makes an icon called Network show up.

Now if I could just figure out how to only have these icons and not all the other invisible ones to show up�

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2003, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by mgehman:
Ok here is an interesting networking problem. When I restart the Network icon in the Finder window shows up as an alias. If it is clicked on it states that it is unable to find the original. This can be corrected either by logging out and in, not restarting, or quitting the finder and relaunching it. After doing this the Network icon is working fine.
I have tried reinstalling, archive and install, and enabling and disabling several networking protocols in directory access, all to no avail.
I don't have a solution, but I presume you're talking about this?

Some people have said that some of the problem has to do with Samba 3 forcing itself as the master browser, but deactivating this apparently doesn't necessarily solve the problem.

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2003, 06:09 PM

Yup that's it. I think this is probably an error that needs to be addressed by Apple and may not have any easy or any work around. Anyone else have any thoughts?
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2003, 07:51 PM

Yup that's it. I think this is probably an error that needs to be addressed by Apple and may not have any easy or any work around. Anyone else have any thoughts?
It's weird. This particular time I just closed the window, waited, and it was working fine later.

Other times I didn't get that popup dialogue box, and was able to enter Filez-W, but it was actually a local folder, and didn't access anything on the Windows box. The folder was empty obviously (which was worrisome at the time), but I could move files into it and back out again. But like I said, it was simply a local folder, which I then just deleted.

This is really screwed up.

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2003, 08:47 PM

Yeah, I gotta say. While most things in Panther are much better than Jaguar, networking isn't one of them. I'm wondering if when I start up and have the alias for the network that isn't found if I just haven't waited long enough for it to connect to the network. I just don't know what long enough is. I've waited up to 5 minutes with no result, but as soon as I quit the Finder and restart it all is well and I can connect via the Finder. Go figure
- Ernst Jan Plugge

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 12:17 AM

Ok I have come up with a "work around" that I guess I should have seen this one right from the beginning. Once I have networking working well it is stable, so I just put it to sleep instead of shutting down. If I do have to shut down I just have to restart the Finder right after start up. I suppose there would be a way to write an Apple Script to do this but I don't have a clue how to do it. Any way I hope this helps.
- Ernst Jan Plugge

raviruddarraju
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 04:29 AM

Folks, you all scared me about 10.3 networking. When I finally installed it today, it is not bad at all. I think it is certainly better than 10.2 networking, at least for me. I was getting too much negative feeling from the posts here. Oh well, everyone doesn't have the same needs.
- Ravi

dont.wanna.tell
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 12:30 PM

So, has anybody found a solution to the problem that windows shares do not show up in the "Network" folder?

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 04:39 PM

Well I fixed my problem. The OS apparently preferentially looks at the ethernet port first. If it doesn't find a network it will not look further and thus I get the error with the network alias. I almost always use Airport networks, so if I turn off the ethernet port it will look at the Airport first and I have no problem. I have the Airport listed first in the network listing, despite this is seems it's going to the ethernet first. It seems there should be some other way to do this because I do on occasion use ethernet. Any ideas?
- Ernst Jan Plugge

Terri
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 05:52 PM

I know that Apple says to put the ethernet port first. I have mine set up this way and have no problems at all and I'm almost always on Airport.

So for I've only been using my network for Mac networks with Appletalk turned on so maybe there will be problems with other kinds of networks, don't know yet.

I really dislike what Apple has done to the networking.

Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 05:59 PM

Another networking bug, when browsing folders containing a large number of files (300+), I can scroll down about halfway without a hitch, but any further and the machine locks up for 2 minutes while it does some major network activity (like 8 mb/s of activity). The files btw are mostly .avi's (animes), so, I was thinking, maybe it was loading the preview for these files?

Well, the other machine is 10.2. The machine I am connecting from is 10.3.

MickS
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 09:48 AM

Well I fixed my problem. The OS apparently preferentially looks at the ethernet port first. If it doesn't find a network it will not look further and thus I get the error with the network alias. I almost always use Airport networks, so if I turn off the ethernet port it will look at the Airport first and I have no problem. I have the Airport listed first in the network listing, despite this is seems it's going to the ethernet first. It seems there should be some other way to do this because I do on occasion use ethernet. Any ideas?
I use locations for this. I have two locations for my home setup;

Home (wired) which contains only the ethernet port
Home (wireless) which contains only the airport card

I gave up trusting operating systems to automatically configure networks years ago (distrustful soul that I am) except for DHCP. I also have locations for using the Modem and a GPRS connection over bluetooth. I only try the 'Automatic' setting if I'm somewhere new and don't know the best way to connect.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2003, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by 11011001:
Another networking bug, when browsing folders containing a large number of files (300+), I can scroll down about halfway without a hitch, but any further and the machine locks up for 2 minutes while it does some major network activity (like 8 mb/s of activity). The files btw are mostly .avi's (animes), so, I was thinking, maybe it was loading the preview for these files?

Well, the other machine is 10.2. The machine I am connecting from is 10.3.
Sometimes, my Finder will simply crash browsing the network, if there are a bazillion files, under i think List view.

OK, I've changed it so that wireless is first. I hope that helps.

Ok I have come up with a "work around" that I guess I should have seen this one right from the beginning. Once I have networking working well it is stable, so I just put it to sleep instead of shutting down. If I do have to shut down I just have to restart the Finder right after start up. I suppose there would be a way to write an Apple Script to do this but I don't have a clue how to do it. Any way I hope this helps.
I have the problem after sleep at times.

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 10:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Sometimes, my Finder will simply crash browsing the network, if there are a bazillion files, under i think List view.

OK, I've changed it so that wireless is first. I hope that helps.

I have the problem after sleep at times.
[/QUOTE
What I found was that putting the wireless first does nothing. You actually have to disable ethernet port specifically. If you use both just set up 2 locations in the location settings, one with ethernet off and 1 with it on.
- Ernst Jan Plugge

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2003, 12:07 PM

I can't mount a firewire disk attched to a remote machine in the finder. I used "conect to server" and afp:// to access my home machine, but only the internal drive shows in the Finder.

I can ssh into the machine in the Terminal, and do a cd /volumes and 'ls' will show the firewire drive fine, so it's there, just not available in the Finder.

edit: I also tried Go to Folder... (remote_internal_drive)/volumes/FirewireDrive and get the "original item could not be found" from the aliases there.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Baulkham
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 01:09 PM

Good afternoon,
Have been following this thread intently because I am also having difficulty sharing files from my XP machine to my panther powerbook. Pardon the newbiness of this question, but if disabling the ethernet port or having the os looking at my airport extreme wireless network...how do I go about doing that?

Thanks

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2003, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
I can't mount a firewire disk attched to a remote machine in the finder. I used "conect to server" and afp:// to access my home machine, but only the internal drive shows in the Finder.

I can ssh into the machine in the Terminal, and do a cd /volumes and 'ls' will show the firewire drive fine, so it's there, just not available in the Finder.

edit: I also tried Go to Folder... (remote_internal_drive)/volumes/FirewireDrive and get the "original item could not be found" from the aliases there.

CV
Did you remember to turn on shares for your external drive?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Did you remember to turn on shares for your external drive?
I did an archive and install, keeping users and network settings intact. (supposedly). Never had to mess with it, before. Where would one "turn on shares" for an external drive? It's always "just worked" before.

I can't access the machine via FTP, either. At all. Not sure why-- iTunes sharing is working, and ssh is working. Wierdness.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Alex Duffield
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2003, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by dont.wanna.tell:
So, has anybody found a solution to the problem that windows shares do not show up in the "Network" folder?
OK here is what I have found out....

If you have reverse DNS for the IPs used by Windows Boxes, the systems show up by the revers DNS name. If no reverse DNS is set up for those IPs, they will show up with the name set in Windows.

I have admin a cross platform network with OS9, OSX Jag, OSX Panther, Windows 98, 2000 and XP.

All Macs can see all the Windows SMB shares no problem.

My beef is that it is difficult for a Panther client to know weather a share is AFP or SMB. My Main server is OSX 10.2 server, but has both AFP and SMB shares. I continualy find users on the mac have connected using SMB... this causes problems with some apps...
Alex Duffield
http://www.incontrolsolutions.com
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: signature() in /usr/local/www/htdocs/showthread.php on line 813

PowerMatt
Senior User
Nov 5, 2003, 12:55 AM

I am glad that others are having this problem too. (Not that I want you all to have networking problems.) My brother just keeps telling me that Panther is fine and that I don't know how to set it up properly.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

passmaster16
Senior User
Nov 5, 2003, 02:11 AM

I've noticed the same bugginess in 10.3 with windows shares not appearing in the finder. I've already submitted feedback to apple and hope that everybody else that is having issues does the same. We need to get this fixed!

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2003, 02:16 AM

I've read that in 10.3 when you improperly disconnect from a server (for instance put an ibook to sleep at home and wake it up on the road no longer on your wireless network) it will simply show you a window where you can cancel it, while it tried to reconnect. It is true, this windows does come up, but in my experience, it comes up only after the familiar 10 minutes of completely locked-out beach ball ness.

geekwagon
Senior User
Nov 5, 2003, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by chris v:

CV
You'll have this problem if the drive was attached after the system was booted (or after the AFP server was turned on.)

Usually if you stop/start the Personal Sharing service after the drive is connected this will clear up.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2003, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by geekwagon:
You'll have this problem if the drive was attached after the system was booted (or after the AFP server was turned on.)

Usually if you stop/start the Personal Sharing service after the drive is connected this will clear up.
The drive was on at bootup, but turning sharing off/on did the trick, anyway. The install had turned FTP sharing off for me, despite being asked to "preserve" my settings. I guess big brother knows I didn't want FTP sharing on. Now that it's back on, I can log in via FTP to my regular user account, but can't log in to the FTP account I "hacked" in Net Info. (changed the home folder). Hangs on "getting folder list." Oh, well, it was a hack.

CV

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2003, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
I've read that in 10.3 when you improperly disconnect from a server (for instance put an ibook to sleep at home and wake it up on the road no longer on your wireless network) it will simply show you a window where you can cancel it, while it tried to reconnect. It is true, this windows does come up, but in my experience, it comes up only after the familiar 10 minutes of completely locked-out beach ball ness.
Works fine on my end. Are you sure you're not using a third party beach ball? Actually, this was never a serious problem for me. As long as I didn't try to disconnect the windows drive from work when I got home, the iBook didn't care. In fact, I used to just leave the drive on my desktop so I wouldn't have to reconnect when I got to work. Now, however, this window pops up immediately and I press cancel. No waiting. Maybe I'm just lucky.

However, I do have the windows computers not showing up when browsing the network problem. Under network, the domain at work and all the workgroups show up as folders, but they are all empty of computers.

I can connect manually by doing smb://computer_name/. But not by browsing.

Also, IP printing seems not to work. However, this stoped working for me a couple of days before I upgraded to 10.3, so that's probably a question for the fine folks at AppleCare.

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

hodaddy
Nov 8, 2003, 03:45 PM

after looking thru 5 or 6 boards, this is the first one i've found with people experiencing this problem...and a bunch of you.

specifically, i am also having the 'network alias' problem in the finder.

i just got thru reading the posts and have not tried any of the solutions yet. but, i have several installations of 10.3 and only the airport machines are having the problem. so, that may be a lead.

anyway, on to the workaround:

i opened up terminal and found a directory at the root of the startup drive named 'Network'. an 'ls' of this directory displayed everything as i expected.

so, all i did was make a dynamic link of that folder to the desktop

Code:
ln -is /Network /Users/yourusername/Desktop
i still have the broken link in the finder. but, i can now browse via the icon on the desktop.

i also found that enabling the network icon in the finder sidebar worked, even tho the 'network' icon at the root of 'my computer' was broken.

hope this helps.
if it aint' broke, break it.

Morenix
Nov 8, 2003, 07:44 PM

made on mac with .mac with a powermac and mac os!
they call it a community, not a monopoly

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2003, 11:23 AM

It's clear that Apple screwed up royally on this one. Whether it's Samba 3 or Apple, there is no way a shipping OS should have such problems, esp. given that it was working fine before.

Whereas I would have recommended X.2.7 to any switcher, I cannot recommend X.3.0 to everyone. IMO, this problem is a deal-killer.

matttichenor
Nov 10, 2003, 12:16 AM

I have two machines... G4 Tower/Airport & an iBook/Airport. Both machines run Panther. Ever since the new install, networking has been a nightmare. Difficult to connect and then slow speeds. I use a AP Basestation and it is assigning IPs via DHCP. G4 is 10.0.1.3 and the iBook 10.0.1.4. So when i try to connect, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't and I hate the new browser, can hardly ever find what I'm looking for and stale servers sit their for ever.

The real problem, and the reason I am posting this, is that I think I figured out the Finder hang. When I try to connect to the G4, and for whatever reason the OS can't find it, in Jaguar the little "Contacting 10.0.1.3" window use to come up with a little 120 Second countdown and a Cancel Button. Sometimes in Panther this window comes up, but most of the time when it can't find the server it just causes the Finder to hang because it doesn't display this dialog box. Clicking the Cancel button would unhang the Finder if it could be clicked. I know this box is supposed to show but doesn't because when I Force Quit the Finder, 99% of the time, the Finder restarts and all of a sudden the dialog box appears and then I can click Cancel.

Must be a bad bug.

My 2 cents for what little it is worth.

m

sharumpe
Nov 10, 2003, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by Nai no Kami:
For those who can't see the servers in a workgroup using SMB, you may verify that the number of servers to be displayed is above 500. In a traffic peak the servers showed slowly and disappeared when the number reached above 500 (last number of items shown was 493).
Maybe someone can verify this.

Cheers

Ah. Feedback submitted.
This seems to be correct for me. At home I have only a few shares listed, and it all works fine. At work there are a WHOLE lot (I'll confirm the number on Monday) and it doesn't work at all -- nothing ever shows.

Mr. Sharumpe

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 08:02 AM

I have a Quicksilver Dual Gig G4, a TiBook 550 and an old B/W G3.

I can connect to the TiBook and B/W from the G4 but cannot connect to the G4. It sometimes shows up on the others if I use the Network button but it keeps disappearing and reappearing and if I click on any of the "shares" it just tell me that it cannot be found and try to re-mount the disk!

They all had clean installs of Panther. All the settings are the same in the network panel (except IP of course!). Sharing is on.

Th concept of sharing in Panther has seemed to have improved but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

quadgrande
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2003, 12:11 PM

Serious issues here (requires restart)

1. Laptop browses to another Apple computer via Finder. Connect and transfer files.
2. Close lid, take laptop to meeting.
3. Open lid, Finder freezes.

This scenario requires a HARD REBOOT to fix. Hold down the power button for 5 seconds folks.

I gave the finder 15 minutes to come back. It never did. I tried umount -f on the mount, never returned. Eventually the load on the box reached 5. I killed the Finder numerous times.

AWFUL JOB APPLE

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by sharumpe:
This seems to be correct for me. At home I have only a few shares listed, and it all works fine. At work there are a WHOLE lot (I'll confirm the number on Monday) and it doesn't work at all -- nothing ever shows.

Mr. Sharumpe
Mine doesn't work at home. Very little traffic obviously, since I'm the only one using the system.

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by quadgrande:
Serious issues here (requires restart)

1. Laptop browses to another Apple computer via Finder. Connect and transfer files.
2. Close lid, take laptop to meeting.
3. Open lid, Finder freezes.

This scenario requires a HARD REBOOT to fix. Hold down the power button for 5 seconds folks.

I gave the finder 15 minutes to come back. It never did. I tried umount -f on the mount, never returned. Eventually the load on the box reached 5. I killed the Finder numerous times.

AWFUL JOB APPLE
I agree 100%. The funny thing is that when I do the same thing on my desktop machine it does this quite gracefully. On the laptop, it does exactly as described above. Very frustrating, given that it is near impossible to tell what shares are even mounted!
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

SAgent0068
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 12:48 AM

I have the same problem...a Panther machine can't see a Jaguar machine (which is funny since it's getting its wireless connection through the Jaguar machine) but the Jaguar machine can see the Panther machine...attempting to browse the network using the Panther machine either (a) finds no results or (b) beachballs the Finder to death
myPhoto: all you have to do is plug in your digital camera, import your photos as you normally would into iPhoto, organize them, add whatever captions you want, and voila! Your photos are on your web page! And what did you have to do to put them there? Simply install myPhoto.

JayJay1974
Nov 11, 2003, 05:08 AM

Originally posted by matttichenor:

The real problem, and the reason I am posting this, is that I think I figured out the Finder hang. When I try to connect to the G4, and for whatever reason the OS can't find it, in Jaguar the little "Contacting 10.0.1.3" window use to come up with a little 120 Second countdown and a Cancel Button. Sometimes in Panther this window comes up, but most of the time when it can't find the server it just causes the Finder to hang because it doesn't display this dialog box. Clicking the Cancel button would unhang the Finder if it could be clicked. I know this box is supposed to show but doesn't because when I Force Quit the Finder, 99% of the time, the Finder restarts and all of a sudden the dialog box appears and then I can click Cancel.
I found out that the little window with the cancel button does indeed show up, but UNDER any finder windows. Finder hangs upon waiting for the click to cancel. You can kill the process that brings up the window with the cancel button. If I remember correctly, it's called UIServer or something like that (I can't get it to fail now!) Use Activity Monitor and sort by % CPU to find the offender. Kill this and the finder will come alive again.

JJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules