Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pixar to be backstabbed by Hollywood? As if!

Pixar to be backstabbed by Hollywood? As if!
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2004, 08:40 AM

http://www.macminute.com/2004/02/09/rebeljobs

"Steve Jobs, CEO of both Apple and Pixar, has great clout in Hollywood and Silicon Valley, but his "rebel status" could hurt him, analysts opine in a San Francisco Chronicle article. "Go back to the early '90s, and people were talking breathlessly about digital convergence, about Hollywood and Silicon Valley (coming) together. But what's been absolutely fascinating is that Steve Jobs is virtually alone (as someone) who has a deep credibility in Silicon Valley and deep admiration in Hollywood," said Paul Saffo, director of the Institute for the Future in Palo Alto. On the other hand, as Pixar looks for other Hollywood partners after the recent rift with Disney, Jobs "might be surprised to find that Hollywood closes it ranks to rebels," said Roger Kay, an IDC analyst. "By aspiring too high, too quickly, that could be his downfall," he told the Chronicle. "But that story's not told yet." "

Ya well money talks in the movie industry. Pixar isn't just a moderately successful company - rather a very successful one. Prodigical in many ways. I don't see a problem for them to hook up with another distributor. I predict SKG Dreamworks.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2004, 08:57 AM

That's what I said yesterday -- especially because Jobs has worked with Lucas in the past and Lucas and Spielberg are tight.

Jobs is a maverick, yes, but he has vision and his vision has proven to be on target every time.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2004, 08:59 AM

I don't see Dreamworks SKG working as a partner. It made Ice Age, after all, but I could be wrong.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2004, 08:59 AM

One of the SKG founders used to be with Disney

iWrite
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2004, 09:11 AM

I know for a fact that Spielberg and his wife Kate hang out with the Jobs' family. They went sailing together for a weekend over the summer to Catalina.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2004, 09:28 AM

The thing is, Pixar hasn't had a flop... or anything that even resembles a flop. They keep getting bigger and better (even though I didn't care for Finding Nemo)

I don't think the Hollywood is going to close anything to Pixar. All Pixar has to show is the amount of money they have made on their last movies and they are as good as in. This is the movie industry. They are looking for home runs... Pixar has been hitting grand slams!

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2004, 10:01 AM

the movie industry has some of t he biggest money whores to ever walk the planet.

things like grudges and dislike are mere pimples on the face of the hollywood face.

Money and the ability to make money is an overriding factor in showbiz. even miramax whores itself with it's artistic BS to make it look like they care about the art but in reality they care about the art solely for making money.

Let's face it, Pixar loves making money too and they'll find somebody to help them do so.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2004, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by iWrite:
That's what I said yesterday -- especially because Jobs has worked with Lucas in the past and Lucas and Spielberg are tight.

Jobs is a maverick, yes, but he has vision and his vision has proven to be on target every time.

*** cough *** Cube / Lampshade iMac *** cough ***

jaiqua
Feb 10, 2004, 10:24 AM

Lucas is a Hollywood outsider, he was shunned by the Director's Guild for many years, and neither Spielberg or Lucas play the Hollywood sicophant game.
the navajo know

iWrite
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2004, 11:03 AM

Just like Jobs!

Jobs has always bucked the system. Maybe that's why they all get along?

(What's the prob with the Cube, BTW? I love those Cubes!)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2004, 11:11 AM

What's the prob with the Cube, BTW? I love those Cubes!
I like them too, but they were a very poor seller and by the time they slashed prices it was far too late. The Cube died a relatively quick death. ie. They totally misjudged the market with the Cube.

The lampshade iMac has fared better, but it is far from being a slam dunk. As Apple's CFO has already admitted that the iMac, the core consumer desktop from Apple, totally misses the price point needed to really expand sales in the consumer space. Indeed, that the eMac appeared for everyone and not just educational customers can be viewed as a bandaid solution to the iMac price/performance problem.

Actually, if the iMac gets a reasonable speed G5, I think it'd be a pretty good deal, for its price point. However, it'd still completely miss the sub-$1000 market, which Apple covets.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2004, 11:21 AM

You're totally right about the iMacs.

For a grand I can buy the Superdrive eMac for my kids (which I'm going to do in the next week or two) and it has the 17-inch screen.

The 17-inch iMac is going to run twice as much.

I'd really like the iMac if the LCD was NOT attached to the base -- what would it be called then?

I'm loathe to spend $2K on a computer that the LCD is attached to and I can't hook my PowerBook up to the LCD.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2004, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by jaiqua:
Lucas is a Hollywood outsider, he was shunned by the Director's Guild for many years, and neither Spielberg or Lucas play the Hollywood sicophant game.
Lucas is in my opinion the biggest money whore in the universe. He also hasn't had a good movie in decades... He is only now getting around to releasing the Star Wars trilogy on DVD... and they are the Special Edition versions which make me want to puke with how he bastardized the films.

He loves to walk in after a standard (VHS, DVD etc.) just as it is ending and release the films knowing that the loyal fans will buy them up.

Now that HD-DVD is on the horizon, right on cue, out come the movies on DVD!!!

It also angers me to see that he considers himself an artist as he has shown many times over that he is nothing more then a money whore. He once said that he wouldn't be releasing the films on DVD, so a bunch of people went out and purchased the VHS copies. I hope people sue.

I really tried to like the episode I and II (and think that they are average to OK on their own), but the only things that I have enjoyed about the films are the items that are from the original movies.

Frustrated!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2004, 11:29 AM

You're totally right about the iMacs.

For a grand I can buy the Superdrive eMac for my kids (which I'm going to do in the next week or two) and it has the 17-inch screen.

The 17-inch iMac is going to run twice as much.

I'd really like the iMac if the LCD was NOT attached to the base -- what would it be called then?

I'm loathe to spend $2K on a computer that the LCD is attached to and I can't hook my PowerBook up to the LCD.

You need to remember that the 17" eMac screen is about the same size as the 15" iMac screen...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
You need to remember that the 17" eMac screen is about the same size as the 15" iMac screen...
Not really. The eMac screen is physically bigger, and can be comfortably used at a higher resolution, such as 1152x870 or 1280x960, both at 75 Hz. The 15" iMac is locked to 1024x768, the same resolution as an iBook (which only costs a couple of hundred more than the eMac, and which costs significantly less than a 15" iMac).

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2004, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
One of the SKG founders used to be with Disney
Yes, and it's owned by Pau Allen. It would be an odd choice for Pixar.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

jaiqua
Feb 10, 2004, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Lucas is in my opinion the biggest money whore in the universe. He also hasn't had a good movie in decades... He is only now getting around to releasing the Star Wars trilogy on DVD... and they are the Special Edition versions which make me want to puke with how he bastardized the films.

He loves to walk in after a standard (VHS, DVD etc.) just as it is ending and release the films knowing that the loyal fans will buy them up.

Now that HD-DVD is on the horizon, right on cue, out come the movies on DVD!!!

It also angers me to see that he considers himself an artist as he has shown many times over that he is nothing more then a money whore. He once said that he wouldn't be releasing the films on DVD, so a bunch of people went out and purchased the VHS copies. I hope people sue.

I really tried to like the episode I and II (and think that they are average to OK on their own), but the only things that I have enjoyed about the films are the items that are from the original movies.

Frustrated!
I'm not too sure about that, but i can see how some may think it. Lucas isn't star Wars, he owns several world-class post-production facilities such as ILM (where I worked up until last year), and those places churn out some pretty cutting edge stuff.

What you don't see, is what goes on in a place like ILM, we had in-house software which would wet the pants of any computer artist, stuff that companies will take years to get to market. Lucas was instrumental in pushing this. He also financed the prequel movies from his own pocket too, which says a bit about his lack of wanting suport from Hollywood.
the navajo know

hayesk
Feb 10, 2004, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
I don't see Dreamworks SKG working as a partner. It made Ice Age, after all, but I could be wrong.
Sorry, you are wrong. 20th Century Fox distributed Ice Age for a smaller studio. Kind of like the Apple/Pixar relationship.

Dreamworks had no part in Ice Age. Shrek is their baby.

hayesk
Feb 10, 2004, 01:34 PM

This can all be summed up pretty easily. Pixar movies make boatloads of cash. Hollywood movie producers are interested in boatloads of cash. Therefore, hollywood will not shun Pixar.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2004, 07:48 PM

I think Pixar should just distribute their films themselves. Why do they need anyone else's help?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2004, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
This can all be summed up pretty easily. Pixar movies make boatloads of cash. Hollywood movie producers are interested in boatloads of cash. Therefore, hollywood will not shun Pixar.
Yup.

Originally posted by Oneota:
I think Pixar should just distribute their films themselves. Why do they need anyone else's help?
Because Pixar doesn't have any experience whatsoever in film distribution. It's one thing to make a good animated movie on clustered Xeons and G5 workstations, but it's a completely different kettle of clown fish to get that movie played in your local shopping mall movie theatre, or to sell that movie in the corner hardware store.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2004, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Yes, and it's owned by Pau Allen. It would be an odd choice for Pixar.
I thought he was just a partner. Not a sole owner. ?

Besides he's pretty much out of M$

Forum Links
Forum Rules