Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Metal is not Dead

Metal is not Dead (Page 2)
demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2004, 06:34 PM

How about Pantera?

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jul 8, 2004, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
dude, you're wasting your time. look who you're talking to. he's always right. if he says they're metal, then they're metal. after all, what the hell would you know about metal?

dtriska
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 08:24 PM

God, I hate it when I agree with Zimphire.

Anyway, no one can tell me this f�cker isn't metal...

ambush
Banned
Jul 8, 2004, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
ok so you're actually taking your time to make these pics in PS, save them in web format, upload them and type the link between img tags.

you're even more lifeless than I originally thought.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
How about Pantera?
Pantera after Far Beyond Driven lost the plot. Anselmo when I see him on stage just fcuking annoys me now and I just wish he would shut up and play.

As far as drumming Igor Cavalera is a machine, as well as any of the poor drummers who try and play in Slayer (Bostaph and Lombardo). Though Freese and Carey from Tool and APC are also some of my current favourites.

Saul Goode
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2004, 09:27 PM

How about Pantera?
The spirit of Pantera is alive and well in Damageplan.

I'll stop using the term "colored" as soon as they do.
I'm somewhat of an enigma: an atheist conservative.

Saul Goode
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2004, 09:29 PM

Slipknot. Now THERE'S metal.

I'm diggin' the Mudvayne too, but that's me.

I'll stop using the term "colored" as soon as they do.
I'm somewhat of an enigma: an atheist conservative.

OH-N'omac
Jul 8, 2004, 09:39 PM

Mudvayne should count. Alec Empire has stayed active for a while too, but you could argue that's he's more noise than metal if you want to split hairs.

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
What I meant was Phil Collins isn't even metal or tries to be hard but has more energy than that noisy formless nonsense.
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jul 8, 2004, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
ok so you're actually taking your time to make these pics in PS, save them in web format, upload them and type the link between img tags.

you're even more lifeless than I originally thought.

It takes me all of 5 seconds to do such a thing.

And.. What do you call the pic you keep posting of me there sugartits?

You should really think before hitting the submit button.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2004, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by OH-N'omac:
I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
I'm glad I didn't do drugs during puberty - I grew out of it eventually.

(disclaimer: I actually like the "Genesis" album quite a bit, as well as Collins's first two solo albums and the 12"ers EP. Once or twice a year, they hit the turntable.)

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2004, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
It's all horrible, headache inducing stuff.
I'm sorry: the hip-hop thread is next door.

OH-N'omac
Jul 9, 2004, 09:05 AM

Heard earlier today that Dillinger Escape Plan has a new album coming out later this month...this Mike Patton side project is worth checking out if you're into metal/noise.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2004, 10:05 AM

Crazy kids. This is metal. ^

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
[B]It's been awhile since I have heard any really GOOD metal coming from the "scene" I think Alice in Chains was really the last I liked.

About a year ago I was lent a Black Label Society CD. I've bought every single CD of theirs since.
I agree - Metal is definitely not dead. In fact it seems to be coming back.

I heard BLS from watching Uranium on Fuse (Juliya is awesome). They're great. Maybe the problem is that you're looking for a "scene"? The new Anthrax is awesome as well as the new Iced Earth. Tim Ripper Owens sounds amazing on it. I love the latest Disturbed (and I call it metal). How about bands like Stratovarius or Helloween? Their current stuff is still quite good. Dream Theater's latest is great (IMHO). But they're like prog-metal. Maiden still rocks. Ever heard Devin Townsend? There's a "new" sound coming out of Scandanavia that was initiated by The Gathering like 10 years ago. It's metal with a beautiful female voice. Nightwish, After Forever, etc.

Not to be drawn into the p1ssing contest... Metal is very broad. doom, death, prog, nu, epic, classic, speed, thrash, shock and probably more.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jul 9, 2004, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I'm sorry: the hip-hop thread is next door.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2004, 01:05 PM

Heard earlier today that Dillinger Escape Plan has a new album coming out later this month...this Mike Patton side project is worth checking out if you're into metal/noise.
the new DEP is pretty good (advance copies have hit the web). this album, and DEP in general are NOT a mike patton side project. there was an EP that the band did with patton when they were sort of in between singers (irony is a dead scene). but all their other albums were their own.

if you liked calculating infinity (their first full length), you will like this, but be prepared for them to stretch their legs a bit and sound like - ta da - they were hanging out with mike patton too much. theres some bungle-ish sounds in there, there some weird electrorock, etc. theres still the full tilt rocking youd expect from DEP, but its mixed in with some new sounds. a good second album.

maiden is metal.

the new converge rips.

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2004, 04:21 PM

No.
But dammit, Floyd, Hendrix, and the Doors are at least decent music and a soundtrack you won't feel embarrassed about in ten, fifteen years.

I'm probably just too old.

-s*
Not that I would call them metal, but a damn good choice of bands there mate. My name comes from Floyd...

I don't get the whole "I'm a teeneager so I must be depressed etc". Never went through that phase. Too happy-go-lucky possibly

Oh - and paully_dub: Ride the lightening was my favourite album for about 6 months, right after the Black Album.

Anyhoo - there's not too much music nowadays I'm that impressed with. I'm listening to Led Zep at the moment. I do, however, quite like Franz Ferdinand (sp?) which isn't like me.
I wonder when I'll catch up with music these days :/
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2004, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
[snip]

F*ck, I'm a drummer, and playing Iron Maiden songs is one hell of a serious work out

Formerly Black Book

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2004, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by dtriska:
God, I hate it when I agree with Zimphire.
Post of the day
Made me ROTFL...

Btw, would be a nice sig...

-t

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2004, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Black Book:
F*ck, I'm a drummer, and playing Iron Maiden songs is one hell of a serious work out
They're no picnic on guitar either. Their riffs are a bigger workout than their solos.

jaiqua
Jul 9, 2004, 05:07 PM

Voivod - finest thing to come out of Canada, except for maybe the best 3D apps. in the world.

I think I grew out of metal when the Manchester scene kicked off. But... Voivod still sound great today.
the navajo know

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2004, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by jaiqua:
I think I grew out of metal when the Manchester scene kicked off.
One does not "grow out of metal". One becomes infected with "taste dilution".

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 06:07 PM

They're no picnic on guitar either. Their riffs are a bigger workout than their solos.
ditto for bass. Some are still impossible for me (with 14 years of playing)
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2004, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by memento:
Right. Let's all form a band and complain about Iron Maiden

Formerly Black Book

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 11:06 PM

That wasn't really a complaint, it was more of a "hat's off" to a great set of chops. My last band did Rush and Dream Theater covers yet there were just as many IM songs that I couldn't play as there were DT.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2004, 11:08 PM

Ooh, what show was that from? Looks like their last tour set.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2004, 11:44 PM

Steve Harris is amazing on bass.

Originally posted by starman:
Ooh, what show was that from? Looks like their last tour set.

Mike
From the "Give Me Ed" tour I think.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2004, 12:05 AM

Steve Harris is amazing on bass.

From the "Give Me Ed" tour I think.
Ok. I have pics from the 'Ed tour and DoD. The 'Ed tour was nice - 8th row.

Mike

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2004, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Ok. I have pics from the 'Ed tour and DoD. The 'Ed tour was nice - 8th row.

Mike
Lucky bastige.

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2004, 09:13 PM

I was only lucky enough to have seem them once. No Prayer for the Dying tour. Bruce's last (before returning of course) and he was totally not into it. The show was actually disappointing.

But thanks to Steve Harris, I've opened my playing style to chords on the bass. I've freaked out a number of bands when I first played with them. They're like "WTF are you playing?! That's freakin insane!" I love it. they always do.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2004, 09:21 PM

Lucky bastige.
The way the stage is set up at PNC, the stage curves one way, the seats another, so at one point when Bruce would go to our end of the stage, he was like 15 feet from me. THAT was cool.

Mike

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 10, 2004, 09:58 PM

My last band did Rush and Dream Theater covers
i used to be in a Rush/Primus covers band. i played guitar and sang in that band.

and i can play most Maiden stuff on guitar, bass AND drums, so...
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

RonnieoftheRose
Jul 10, 2004, 10:10 PM

Mudvayne should count. Alec Empire has stayed active for a while too, but you could argue that's he's more noise than metal if you want to split hairs.

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
I just had this feeling someone was going to post that.

RonnieoftheRose
Jul 10, 2004, 10:13 PM

I'm glad I didn't do drugs during puberty - I grew out of it eventually.

That was a quote from American Psycho.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jul 11, 2004, 02:55 PM

How about Pantera?
Most all their songs sound the same.

skalie
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2004, 03:44 PM

Where would Metallica have been without Discharge?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2004, 03:51 PM

It's come a long way.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2004, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
That was a quote from American Psycho.
So it is.

Sorry - neither read the book (yet) nor seen the film.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 11, 2004, 05:05 PM

So it is.

Sorry - neither read the book (yet) nor seen the film.
you wouldn't like it. it's got guns and blood in it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2004, 05:16 PM

you wouldn't like it. it's got guns and blood in it.

Damn.

I must've cut deep with that comment, eh?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
<image snipped in earnest>

I know Mindfad's favorite band is Linkin Park
:barf:

Stradlater: I really didn't like that stupid Quicktime drawer.

And screw you Pantera haters. They were a small part of my teenage angst years.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 11, 2004, 05:30 PM

Damn.

I must've cut deep with that comment, eh?
sorry, no.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2004, 07:45 PM

Dimebag says:

You don't know metal.

Edit: I'm no Pantera fanboy. I'm a Dimebag fan.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jul 11, 2004, 08:07 PM

Yeah Dimebag knows Metal.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2004, 08:45 PM

I'm sorry, but I'll always remember him as "Diamond" Darrell.

inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 11, 2004, 08:51 PM

a friend of mine just saw these last night

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 04:12 PM

i used to be in a Rush/Primus covers band. i played guitar and sang in that band.

and i can play most Maiden stuff on guitar, bass AND drums, so...
awesome! I can NOT sing and play bass. Everything goes haywire as soon as I open my mouth. It sounds like I tripped and fell down the stairs. I have huge respect even for someone like Paul Stanley to be able to do that. Drums are different for me. I can play and sing. It's much more natural. I've got that speed metal playing down (Anthrax - Black Dahlia or System of a Down - X), but still struggle with double bass. Not much of that with Rush or Iron Maiden though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules