Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Prediction: Israel is attacked in the next 1.5 years? No, it's Paris, France.

Prediction: Israel is attacked in the next 1.5 years? No, it's Paris, France. (Page 5)
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2016, 02:24 PM

( Last edited by Chongo; Jun 12, 2016 at 02:39 PM. )
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2016, 03:01 PM

at the shooter's mosque just 2 months ago:

"Religion of Peace"
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2016, 12:08 AM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2016, 02:52 AM

The Regressive Left are the perfect "useful idiots" for Islam.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2016, 02:26 PM

Even members of the Israeli security establishment are losing patience with Netanyahu's intransigence.

Long-serving Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu faces a potentially formidable challenge to his hard-line rule — not from Israel's civilian politicians but instead from its revered security establishment.

An extraordinary array of former top commanders are criticizing Netanyahu in increasingly urgent terms, accusing him of mishandling the Palestinian issue and allying with extremists bent on dismantling Israel's democracy.

On Tuesday, a group representing more than 200 retired leaders in Israel's military, police, Mossad spy service and Shin Bet security agency presented a plan to help end the half-century occupation of the Palestinians through unilateral steps, including disavowing claims to over 90 percent of the West Bank and freezing Jewish settlement construction in such areas.

The movement, called Commanders for Israel's Security, reflects an increasingly widespread assessment that Israel is drifting catastrophically toward permanent entanglement with the Palestinians and conflict with the world community.

"Things are getting worse and worse," said retired Maj. Gen. Amnon Reshef, the group's founder and a former commander of Israel's armored corps. "What kind of future do we have here? What are we going to leave for our kids and young children?"

Although a peace deal may not be possible at present, "still something can and should be done right now," he said

The driving narrative is that the Holy Land's 6 million Jews must find a way of detaching themselves from the roughly equivalent number of Arabs, most of whom live in the West Bank and Gaza and do not have voting rights in Israel.

Without the establishment of a Palestinian state, the argument goes, Israel will either eventually have to extend voting rights, formally absorbing the Palestinians in the occupied territories and destroying itself as a Jewish-majority country, or else be branded a non-democracy destined to suffer comparisons to South African apartheid and risking a similar fate.

Surveys among youth around the world, even in the U.S., suggest that cliff is coming.

Netanyahu and his Cabinet have shown little interest in changing course.

He does profess a theoretical desire for a two-state solution. But in practice, his government busies itself with the Palestinian leadership's shortcomings — publicizing incidents of "incitement" against Jews is a frequent theme — while continuing to settle territory, occupied in the 1967 Mideast war, where the Palestinians hope to establish a state.

Following years of failed peace efforts and occasional violence, Israel pulled troops and settlers out of the Gaza Strip in 2005. But in the West Bank, hundreds of thousands of settlers receive an array of subsidies and privileges in what is in effect an Israeli colony. The Palestinian majority there does not have Israeli citizenship and lives under a mix of limited autonomy and Israeli military rule.
Israel's Security Figures Take Aim at Hard-Line Netanyahu | NYTimes.com

It'll either be a A) a two-state solution, B) a one-state solution, or C) outright genocide. And that's up to the Israeli government. Because the status quo is simply untenable.

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2016, 07:27 AM

Turkish officials claim ISIS is responsible for Instanbul attack. Fox News showed video of one blowing himself up.
At Least 36 Killed In Istanbul Airport Attack
45/47

P
Jun 29, 2016, 07:31 AM

Then they think it is (and they're probably right). If they were making things up they'd say it was the Kurds.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2016, 08:10 AM

Death toll is 41 now.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2016, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Then they think it is (and they're probably right). If they were making things up they'd say it was the Kurds.
The comment I heard was...

If the attack is on the government, it's PKK (the Kurds).

If the attack is on tourists, it's ISIS.

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2016, 08:10 PM

Nice, France, truck attack kills 73, official tells French TV - CNN.com

If only France had banned guns, this never would have happened.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2016, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Nice, France, truck attack kills 73, official tells French TV - CNN.com

If only France had banned guns, this never would have happened.
Isn't there a mandatory background check and waiting period on large capacity trucks?
45/47

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2016, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Isn't there a mandatory background check and waiting period on large capacity trucks?
Only the ones that look scary, aka assault trucks. The ones that look more like hunting trucks are still widely available without much fuss.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2016, 01:35 AM

Apparently there truly are things more effective at killing than guns. It's extremely unlikely a single gunman could have killed that many people, not in the open. Horrifying.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2016, 06:15 AM

The aftermath.
Viewer Discretion Advised.
https://youtu.be/ZVV1V34hBd4
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 15, 2016, 09:14 AM

Well, I'm glad we're all been my transparent that we use these events to score political points.

To wit, I know driving enthusiasts won't balk at additional regulations and safety features being introduced to prevent this kind of thing from being so easily executed or repeated at all as an infringement on their rights.

Now, got eat a bowl of dicks, assholes.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2016, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Well, I'm glad we're all been my transparent that we use these events to score political points.
The POTUS taught us how.

To wit, I know driving enthusiasts won't balk at additional regulations and safety features being introduced to prevent this kind of thing from being so easily executed or repeated at all as an infringement on their rights.
Big trucks need "kill" switches, if used in cities, to allow authorities to stop them in such situations. This should have been implemented years ago.

Where were these harsh words when Obama was in Dallas "scoring points" for the anti-gun lobby and BLM?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2016, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Big trucks need "kill" switches, if used in cities, to allow authorities to stop them in such situations. This should have been implemented years ago.
I'm fine with the idea. Just like I'm fine with the idea of electronic voting.

The reality, I'm not so sure.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2016, 11:45 AM

Also, representative of the total breakdown in communication I've had with Dakar, I have no idea whether I should eat a bag of dicks or not.

If I could find out before lunch that would be good.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2016, 12:00 PM

OnStar equipped vehicles do.
Cops use OnStar to disable suspect's engine and end high-speed chase | Public Safety | southbendtribune.com
Big Brother? OnStar Shuts Down Stolen Car During Police Chase | Video | TheBlaze.com
https://www.policeone.com/suspect-pu...ts-stolen-SUV/

I think a different type of "kill switch" would be needed to prevent what happened in Nice.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2016, 02:03 PM

This could have been far worse.
originally posted by Facebook.
This attack in Nice was a busted operation. The savage had grenades and rifles....these were probably going to be distributed to other bad guys...then an attack from all sides. The driver panicked or was too close to getting caught....and used the truck as a weapon. Just my guess...
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2016, 02:08 PM

Can't be, there are no guns in France, they've been banned.

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2016, 03:14 PM

Pot, kettle a little bit don't you think? I thought about not offering my commmentary, but given how every attack is used by the anti-2A crowd to justify gun control, I fail to see how this is any different. This took place in a country where they have a complete ban on guns.

Just what the hell would a kill switch in the truck have done here? It took the driver seconds to run all those people those people down. Even if we were generous and said 5 minutes to complete the act, there's no way anyone would be able to react fast enough to do any good.That's a pipe dream - such a measure would be feel good only, while introducing huge costs and potentials for abuse.

Could you please provide some of the sand in your vagina as a side dish? You seem to have plenty to spare.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2016, 03:47 PM

Since I wasn't told whether I was supposed to eat a bag of dicks, I had White Castle.

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2016, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Since I wasn't told whether I was supposed to eat a bag of dicks, I had White Castle.
I had Wendy's, which is admittedly closer to a bag of dicks than I'm comfortable with. Chicken dicks, but still.

Subego,

What are your thoughts on the "kill switch" idea....even beyond potential abuse do you see this as a practical way to stop an attack? Why/Why not?

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2016, 04:15 PM

And also, you should always err on the side of eating dicks.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2016, 05:00 PM

I had Wendy's, which is admittedly closer to a bag of dicks than I'm comfortable with. Chicken dicks, but still.

Subego,

What are your thoughts on the "kill switch" idea....even beyond potential abuse do you see this as a practical way to stop an attack? Why/Why not?
Not really.

The only way someone could activate it quickly enough would be for the system to be wide-open from a security standpoint.

Even if I'm wrong here, the math doesn't work out. The same way the math doesn't work out with rifles and mass shootings. Neither happen with enough frequency to justify the extreme steps required to stop them.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2016, 05:03 PM

45/47

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2016, 05:51 PM

Not really.

The only way someone could activate it quickly enough would be for the system to be wide-open from a security standpoint.

Even if I'm wrong here, the math doesn't work out. The same way the math doesn't work out with rifles and mass shootings. Neither happen with enough frequency to justify the extreme steps required to stop them.
I thought you and I might be thinking similarly here. I agree, there's just no practical way this could be an effective means to do any good.

I think I might already know how you'll feel about this, but how about a "no-fly, no drive" list? If terrorists can't drive, they can't kill people. /s

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2016, 05:52 PM

Holy shit. Isn't this kind of a huge deal?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2016, 05:53 PM

That's what I was thinking.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2016, 06:37 PM

I thought you and I might be thinking similarly here. I agree, there's just no practical way this could be an effective means to do any good.

I think I might already know how you'll feel about this, but how about a "no-fly, no drive" list? If terrorists can't drive, they can't kill people. /s
We pretty much have a no-drive list, only no one has come up with the idea of linking it to the no-fly list.

I think you may have just broke something.

P
Jul 15, 2016, 07:28 PM

If it succeeds, then yes, this is a massive deal. Does not appear to be succeeding at the moment.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2016, 07:33 PM

Theres an almost gleeful smugness in the way some of you are talking about this, all because you think it exemplifies your favourite point and therefore justifies you keeping your favourite toys. Dakar is right to tell you to eat dicks.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2016, 09:33 PM

Subego,

And also, you should always err on the side of eating dicks.
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Theres an almost gleeful smugness in the way some of you are talking about this, all because you think it exemplifies your favourite point and therefore justifies you keeping your favourite toys. Dakar is right to tell you to eat dicks.
Sir Mix-A-Lot highly recommends eating a bag of Dicks.
Menu - Dick's Drive-In
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2016, 01:37 AM

Not nearly to the level of His Smugness, our Commander in Queef.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2016, 05:02 AM

Can't be, there are no guns in France, they've been banned.
Originally Posted by Snow-i
This took place in a country where they have a complete ban on guns.
What is it that leads you two to believe guns are banned in France? Because, you know, they're not.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2016, 06:54 AM

Okay, now I get it. I honestly didn't understand where the bag of dicks was coming from.

I don't really approve with how the sentiment has been expressed by people in this thread, but the smugness isn't occuring in a vacuum.

Am I supposed to believe it's merely the smugness which is causing the repulsion? If the argument was brought up outside the context of a current event, it would be met with reasoned discussion rather than an implication the position is morally deficient?
( Last edited by subego; Jul 16, 2016 at 09:31 AM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
What is it that leads you two to believe guns are banned in France? Because, you know, they're not.
When has CTP needed anything to believe whatever he is talking about other than he said so?

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2016, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
When has CTP needed anything to believe whatever he is talking about other than he said so?
^^ That's why we have brawls in the PWL, guys. It's compulsive, isn't it? You're utterly incapable of addressing issues without lashing out at other members.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2016, 12:33 PM

"Lashing out"? Or merely an observation of your typical M.O.?

I'll tell you what. Since you want to talk about "issues" I was just co-signing on Paco500's statement. Remember YOU were the one who claimed that there were no guns in France because they had been banned. Snow-i made a similar claim but quite unlike yourself he's demonstrated that he's actually capable of acknowledging when he's in error. Which is why my comment above was only in reference to you. So I'll offer up this on the topic ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_France

I really don't feel like wrestling with trying to quote the relevant portions. The forums are even LESS mobile friendly in the iOS 10 public beta. So see for yourself that guns are by no means "banned" in France. Now what I'm saying here is that you had no basis to make such a claim other than you said so. I guess because it fits your preferred narrative and little things like facts be damned. So feel free to either produce your evidence to the contrary or keep it moving. Because we all know you definitely won't admit that you are simply categorically wrong on this point.

OAW

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2016, 01:47 PM

It's defeated sarcasm/cynicism, not smugness, as yet another 100 or so people are dead and we're no closer to figuring out how to stop this. And the last few times this has happened we had to hear you and many others, including the potus & HRC, on about how we stop this with gun control.

if you'd use your brain instead of your vagina to see why I'm sayin what I'm saying, you might see why beating me over the head with your own tactic gets the response it gets. So I'll eat your bag of dicks just as soon as y'all stop acting like said bag of dicks. You don't get to take the high road here, Mr Pot. The kettle is calling you out.

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2016, 01:52 PM

"Lashing out"? Or merely an observation of your typical M.O.?

I'll tell you what. Since you want to talk about "issues" I was just co-signing on Paco500's statement. Remember YOU were the one who claimed that there were no guns in France because they had been banned. Snow-i made a similar claim but quite unlike yourself he's demonstrated that he's actually capable of acknowledging when he's in error. Which is why my comment above was only in reference to you. So I'll offer up this on the topic ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_France

I really don't feel like wrestling with trying to quote the relevant portions. The forums are even LESS mobile friendly in the iOS 10 public beta. So see for yourself that guns are by no means "banned" in France. Now what I'm saying here is that you had no basis to make such a claim other than you said so. I guess because it fits your preferred narrative and little things like facts be damned. So feel free to either produce your evidence to the contrary or keep it moving. Because we all know you definitely won't admit that you are simply categorically wrong on this point.

OAW
Yes, my error. I was wrong on that. My original point stands, however.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2016, 11:07 PM

"Lashing out"?
Yep. Like you do.

Remember YOU were the one who claimed that there were no guns in France because they had been banned.
No, I was mocking those who think banning guns will keep them out. It's absurd to think there are no guns in a place, even if they've been banned, because criminals will ignore laws. Why should I need to explain this?

Because we all know you definitely won't admit that you are simply categorically wrong on this point.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2016, 10:28 AM

^^^

True to form.

OAW

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2016, 10:46 AM

Okay, now I get it. I honestly didn't understand where the bag of dicks was coming from.

I don't really approve with how the sentiment has been expressed by people in this thread, but the smugness isn't occuring in a vacuum.

Am I supposed to believe it's merely the smugness which is causing the repulsion? If the argument was brought up outside the context of a current event, it would be met with reasoned discussion rather than an implication the position is morally deficient?
People gloating that an enemy of their own nation mowed down a hundred citizens of an allied nation celebrating their independence day is utterly repugnant yes. I wouldn't think I'd have to explain that to anyone here. Or anywhere else.

As for a more rational discussion, if you don't know the difference between a disgruntled brat on a killing spree and a brainwashed disgruntled terrorist brat on a killing spree then you really shouldn't bother to comment. Yes they have things in common, but there are reasons that American lunatics don't tend to choose kamikaze vehicle runs as their preferred method of teaching the world a lesson.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2016, 11:18 AM

People gloating that an enemy of their own nation mowed down a hundred citizens of an allied nation celebrating their independence day is utterly repugnant yes. I wouldn't think I'd have to explain that to anyone here. Or anywhere else.
As Snow-i said, it's not gloating, it's frustration.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2016, 11:37 AM

^^^

True to form.
It's pretty damned obvious, or rather, it would be pretty damned obvious, if you weren't you, and you didn't have a bee up your ass over anything I say.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2016, 12:23 PM

^^^^

Yeah. Sure buddy.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2016, 12:44 PM

^^^^

Yeah. Sure buddy.

OAW
Whew. I'm glad you finally see it, for a while there I thought you'd plunged to new, as-yet-not-seen-before, depths of idiocy. Have a good nap.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2016, 12:49 PM

That's what I was thinking.
This makes things a bit interesting.
Fethullah Gülen: Turkey coup may have been 'staged' by Erdoğan regime
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-coup-erdogan
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules