Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > If you'e worried about your al15, don't. Mine is perfect

If you'e worried about your al15, don't. Mine is perfect
Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 08:30 PM

My 15AL came today. What a gorgeous machine, i was having reserves towards the end of the summer if the Tibook was good enough, and if i shouldnt be waiting... well I am so glad I waited. This is the perfect laptop, everything about it is superior to the Tibook, it just feels nicer, the build quality is better. The look is more fresh. The keys are even better (the one thing i thought i liked better)

It doesnt get nearly as hot as my brother's Ti, The ambient light sensor/auto screen brightness setting is GREAT.

Battery life doesnt seem too bad. I drained the battery twice and neither time seemed shorter than when using my brother's tibook for the same functions. Even as it got towards 10 min left, it lasted to the very last second on the estimation... kept expecting it to die but it didnt, i love this thing.

No dead pixels, no white spots... hinge does look a little odd that the gap is uneven at the center, but it does not get bigger from left to right... just less gap at the center, and no latch problems.

This thing rocks.

The illuminated keys is not that important, but a nice featuer to have, i guess. but the auto screen brightness is very useful. (saves battery life, i would think)
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

mattcass
Sep 29, 2003, 08:40 PM

Good news to hear. Mine is on its way and after coming on here and reading all the comments about white spots and non-working latches I was a bit worried. I wanna see some more positive comments liek this one!

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 08:58 PM

Make that TWO perfect Powerbooks. Mine's great, no dead pixels, screen anomalies, or latch problems.
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

gostan
Sep 29, 2003, 09:03 PM

Write me in the perfect so far 15 Albook column. This machine is a great upgrade over my Ibook 800. I cannot believe that I put up with the small screen, lower resolution and spongy keyboard of the ibook for so long. Just long enough for Apple to release a great 15" Powerbook and for me to save enough to take the plunge.

Manimac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the positive report. I have one on the way. I hope mine works out just as well.

@ho
Sep 29, 2003, 09:41 PM

I ordered my powerbook with macmall and today I spoke with my sales asistant and he told me about the first powerbooks they recieve about 10 or more were return because of screen problems and other stuff.
So in one way I am happy I didnt recieve one of this fist shipment but I cant way anymore I hope to get it tomorrow

tomlawnman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 10:09 PM

I'm new to this. I have a Win XP that i hate. My wife is going to buy me a 15al for Xmas. I've wanted to make the switch for months now and almost settled for the 12 but thanks for the new 15. They say Panther will come out soon. I want to order my pb in november. Does anyone know when panther will be out. I think I saw a report that Final Cut Express will come with Panther. If so I want to wait so I save 100 bucks. Also any good sites for me to get help with the switch to osX thanks
Originally posted by Bruck:
My 15AL came today. What a gorgeous machine, i was having reserves towards the end of the summer if the Tibook was good enough, and if i shouldnt be waiting... well I am so glad I waited. This is the perfect laptop, everything about it is superior to the Tibook, it just feels nicer, the build quality is better. The look is more fresh. The keys are even better (the one thing i thought i liked better)

It doesnt get nearly as hot as my brother's Ti, The ambient light sensor/auto screen brightness setting is GREAT.

Battery life doesnt seem too bad. I drained the battery twice and neither time seemed shorter than when using my brother's tibook for the same functions. Even as it got towards 10 min left, it lasted to the very last second on the estimation... kept expecting it to die but it didnt, i love this thing.

No dead pixels, no white spots... hinge does look a little odd that the gap is uneven at the center, but it does not get bigger from left to right... just less gap at the center, and no latch problems.

This thing rocks.

The illuminated keys is not that important, but a nice featuer to have, i guess. but the auto screen brightness is very useful. (saves battery life, i would think)

fenster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 01:00 AM

just to add another tick to the 'all is well' column. mine arrived today. no dead pixels, no white patches. latch does not mysteriously release. I got about 2:40 of mixed use (a few installs, some file transfers, web surfing, watching about 20min of movie off my FW HD.) from the first charge.

for those collecting data on how long the apple store shipping process takes:

ordered - sep 17
received shipping email - sep 24th
(at this point, the tracking number worked, then stopped working for a day)
waybill indicated cleared customs - sep 26th
no updates on airbornes site until Monday morning (sep 29) when it showed arrival in my town.
delivered that afternoon.
another poster indicated that the waybill number is the one to watch until your pb clears customs. I found this to be the case on mine.

I ordered the 1ghz model with airport extreme and illuminated kbd (totally worth it, for me)

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 03:15 AM

Chalk another one up for a good ALPB. No screen problems or latch problems to report. Could use a little more battery life (I think the best I have gotten is 1:30 hrs, but I haven't officially tested it, just an estimate). I will probably pick up a spare battery at some point.

I love this machine!

-brian

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 05:11 AM

Originally posted by tomlawnman:
I'm new to this. I have a Win XP that i hate. My wife is going to buy me a 15al for Xmas. I've wanted to make the switch for months now and almost settled for the 12 but thanks for the new 15. They say Panther will come out soon. I want to order my pb in november. Does anyone know when panther will be out. I think I saw a report that Final Cut Express will come with Panther. If so I want to wait so I save 100 bucks. Also any good sites for me to get help with the switch to osX thanks
FCE is not going to be free on panther. Its imovie thats free w/ macs. FCE is a 299 app and is aimed at DV pros/semi-pros.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 05:25 AM

Great to hear yours is in a perfect shape. My 17" was too when I first got it. Have fun with it hehehe.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

janmc
Sep 30, 2003, 08:21 AM

Again, another very relieved person to hear positive stories. Have been scanning the forums and it was mostly negative feedback until your post. Just waiting for mine to arrive - 3 and a half weeks more!

PBG4 User
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 09:18 AM

Yet another perfect 15" PB superdrive owner here <wave>!

No problems, no white spots, latch works great, etc. etc.

This laptop is awesome, you will love yours!

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 09:40 AM

If 2 hours battery performance is what makes you happy then congratulations. I'll wait for a future rev.

Forum Links
Forum Rules