Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.2.2 freeze on boot

OS 9.2.2 freeze on boot
Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2002, 12:27 AM

Whenever I boot to 9.2.2, or start classic in OS 10.1.4, it freezes for two minutes. If I boot directly to it, the finder appears, and the screen looks fine, except the clock will be frozen, and nothing responds to being clicked. In OS X, the freeze happens right before the classic starting window would normally disappear. It simply has a blank menu bar and the background. I did a clean install using the OS Install CD that came with the Cube, then updated from it up to 9.2.2. I haven't used it for anything beyond classic in OS X, and nothing is in the startup folder.

Any ideas? I just moved from Windows, and haven't troubleshot a Mac OS problem since 7.
<This space under renovation>

Cipher13
Apr 24, 2002, 08:34 AM

9.22 should not be used for standalone use. It's horrible.

Use 9.04, or 9.1 if you have a CD installer; don't use any updaters after 9.04. They're just BAD.

It's a device issue. The system is looking for something that isn't there. Hardware, network, something.

Delete the contents of the "Servers" folder in the System Folder for starters, and see how it goes. If that doesn't help, post back, and I'll see what else I can think of.

Drakino  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2002, 10:07 AM

9.22 should not be used for standalone use. It's horrible.

Use 9.04, or 9.1 if you have a CD installer; don't use any updaters after 9.04. They're just BAD.
I only plan on running 9 standalone for one or two programs here and there, nothing major. The rest of the time it will just sit inside OS X for classic support. Being a new user is handy since I have nothing really holding me back from adopting X in full.

I'll try your suggestion when I get home, as I did have Appletalk in use at one time to connect to my home server. I since disabled it, but with no affect on the issue.

Drakino  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2002, 03:24 PM

That helped a but, but there is still a pause there. Not as bad now (Only about 15 or so seconds compaired to 2 minutes).

Thanks

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2002, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Drakino:
<STRONG>That helped a but, but there is still a pause there. Not as bad now (Only about 15 or so seconds compaired to 2 minutes).

Thanks</STRONG>
I'd say that pause is about normal. Do you have any aliases of folders or hard drives in your system 9 Apple Menu folder? That'll slow load time down a little if you do. You can try paring down your extension set, too. I've trimmed and trimmed my "Classic" set, starting with the obvious things like Application Switcher, and Control Strip, which don't work in Classic. I don't think you need any QuickTime extensions, either, or ethernet, since those are all handled by OS X. If you're printing from Classic, you'll still need Laserwriter and Desktop Printer, etc. but if not, dich those, too. You should be able to get your classic launch time down to around a minute, +/-.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules