Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > My iSight Pics

My iSight Pics
mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 03:02 PM

Just got iSight, and go here for the unveiling.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 03:48 PM

apple gets the packaging right again similar to the ipod

nice pics, thanks!

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 07:08 PM

From the packaging:
Enjoy

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 07:32 PM

w00t mine shipped today!!!
won't be long now, can't wait

Alpha-sphere
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 08:03 PM

The apple site says "personal video conference over any broadband connection" but broadband is different in every country h3ll even every provider has a different broadband service.

So what i would like to know is how fast my upload speed should be cause if i get like 3 frames a sec i might as well use a cheap webcam
Powered by a 15" alu powerbook superdrive

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Alpha-sphere:
The apple site says "personal video conference over any broadband connection" but broadband is different in every country h3ll even every provider has a different broadband service.

So what i would like to know is how fast my upload speed should be cause if i get like 3 frames a sec i might as well use a cheap webcam
umm
while thats all true
i'm pretty sure "broadband" refers to anything that doesn't use a 56k Modem

nbnz
Senior User
Jun 26, 2003, 09:03 PM

How about a size comparison pic, compared to an iPod or a can of coke or something? I just can't get a idea of how big/small this thing is?
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

mbperk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by nbnz:
How about a size comparison pic, compared to an iPod or a can of coke or something? I just can't get a idea of how big/small this thing is?
Ask and you shall receive. You can view them here.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2003, 10:25 PM

If that Apple is real I wouldn't eat it if I were you.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 10:48 PM

I am impressed with the quality. The shape distortion is disconcerting but I can understand why it is like that. My FW Sony TRV-340 DV cam isn't anywhere near that. I think I will buy one soon.

nbnz
Senior User
Jun 27, 2003, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by mbperk:
Ask and you shall receive. You can view them here.

Awesome, thanks, time for me to place an order methinks
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2003, 01:00 AM

Nicely done! I will get myself to the AppleStore and buy one (hopefully).

Just one question.. where did you get that Land Rover desktop pic?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2003, 03:11 AM

The packaging alone makes me want to get one. The camera is a sweet bonus though!

mbperk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2003, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
Nicely done! I will get myself to the AppleStore and buy one (hopefully).

Just one question.. where did you get that Land Rover desktop pic?
Kenneth I got the Rover Pics here.

The cool thing is I just got a SE7, and the desktop pics on the sight look just like mine same color and all.

Skywalker,
Yeah that Apple would crack a few teeth.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2003, 01:19 PM

Just got iSight, and go here for the unveiling.
Thanks again for the pictures, Brad. I was going to ask about the Discovery on your desktop, but your weblog answered my question. You lucky bastard! Now all you need is a vanity plate that says "BEST4X4" (to go with a Land Rover "Best 4 x 4 x Far" sticker). See you over on AI!

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2003, 09:21 PM

Hate to be the serious one, but I've noticed both your iSight setup and Steve Jobs setup during his keynote, that the iSight sits perfectly horizontal and your PB screen is perfectly vertical. I don't know about you, but I could use my PB at that angle. Does the iSight 'flex' on it's stand so the angle isn't so bad? That would be a purchasing influence for me for my Ti.

mbperk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2003, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by escher:
Thanks again for the pictures, Brad. I was going to ask about the Discovery on your desktop, but your weblog answered my question. You lucky bastard! Now all you need is a vanity plate that says "BEST4X4" (to go with a Land Rover "Best 4 x 4 x Far" sticker). See you over on AI!

Escher
If you are ever down here in NC let me know I will take you out to the Land Rover tracks. They have a few sites for using these things for what they are best at. I have been with a few friends that have Disco's, and it rocks. They have one this weekend, but I hate it because I will not be able to make it. See you over at AI.

mbperk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2003, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by dadder:
Hate to be the serious one, but I've noticed both your iSight setup and Steve Jobs setup during his keynote, that the iSight sits perfectly horizontal and your PB screen is perfectly vertical. I don't know about you, but I could use my PB at that angle. Does the iSight 'flex' on it's stand so the angle isn't so bad? That would be a purchasing influence for me for my Ti.
Dadder:
It would sit perfect for me too, but I opted to use my short firewire cable instead of the longer one that comes with the iSight when I took the pics. That is the one thing I really miss about my 15" PB ports on the back!!

And yes it does "flex" you can easily move it up or down in addition to moving the PB's screen itself.

One problem I have noticed is when the iSight is perched on top of the display is that my Airport Range suffers...not sure why. Anyone?

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2003, 11:23 PM

One problem I have noticed is when the iSight is perched on top of the display is that my Airport Range suffers...not sure why. Anyone?
I've read something about an Apple Knowledge Base article concerning built-in microphone interference with Mac portables when using iChat AV over Airport. Forgive me that I no longer have the sources handy, but I recall there are some confirmed and/or anecdotal reports of either iChat AV, iSight or both somewhat degrading range when used in conjunction with Airport and Airport Extreme. The upshot is: what you're experiencing is apparently not uncommon.

As far as the iSight is concerned, I was dead set against it for practical reasons, but I had to take my defective 30GB iPod in to an Apple Store today to order a replacement unit and I had a chance to play with an iSight. I almost -- *almost* -- left with a new iSight. Then I almost drove back this evening and bought one. The clock is ticking and I'm likely to succumb soon. I have to go back to pick up the replacement iPod when it arrives and at that point I may be unable to resist.

jtwiskowski
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2003, 06:26 AM

Just to let you know I have an iSight perched ontop a 12-inch PowerBook using AirPort Extreme and have experienced no audio shortcomings nor interference with my network.

All is fine here ... oh and my iSight gets "luke warm" only so far, but we will see after more daily usage after freinds and relatives get theirs.

p.s.
Thanks to forum members for becoming new friends through iChat AV!!!

sideus
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 06:29 AM

Dear Apple Customer,

The following products shipped on 06/27/2003. Transit time will
depend upon whether you have chosen standard or premium freight
options. If your order is shipping standard freight, it should arrive
within 2 - 5 business days of shipment.

M8817LL/A ISIGHT-USA 1

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2003, 06:36 AM

VERY nice pics! Looks great w/ the 17" PB!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2003, 08:59 AM

last night someone messaged me and gave me the chance to test out my iSight. i am very impressed. the video quality was really good, way better than any other software i have used. and i like the way you can move your little video of yourself around.

now all we need is msn, aol, yahoo, and icq to use the ichat video system and incorporate it into their software so that we can video with anyone on our ichat list, not just the ichat av people

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2003, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by mdc:
now all we need is msn, aol, yahoo, and icq to use the ichat video system and incorporate it into their software so that we can video with anyone on our ichat list, not just the ichat av people
Oh, come on, think big: we just need the rest of the world to buy Macs.

Seriously, iChat AV/iSight is catching on so quickly, it's almost funny. Especially when you consider that it's a pretty broad cross section of the population that's rapidly adopting it and not just technicians. Unfortunately, most of my friends and correspondents are PC users. But it's the kind of thing that makes you want to run out and buy everyone an iBook/iSight combo just so you personally can have the advantage of the technology.

I think Jobs said that iChat AV is based entirely on open standards for video/voice communications, so hopefully other messaging software developers will readily build cross-platform support into their software. Also, apparently AOL messaging (AIM) and ICQ are now integrated -- you can text chat with ICQ users via iChat; perhaps voice/video isn't far away.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jun 28, 2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by sanford:
you can text chat with ICQ users via iChat; perhaps voice/video isn't far away.
I saw this on Monday, but I haven't been able to figure how to add an ICQ user to my buddy list. I'm pretty sure you can't do it in iChat, but I can't get it to work in AIM either.

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
I saw this on Monday, but I haven't been able to figure how to add an ICQ user to my buddy list. I'm pretty sure you can't do it in iChat, but I can't get it to work in AIM either.
Apparently, you have to use their ICQ number, not their ICQ nickname. And you have to add it in the AIM field in Address Book, not iChat. Then it shows up as a buddy in your buddy list under the name, not the number.

The original info was on macosxhints.com. Oh, here it is: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...1677&query=ICQ

Apparently, success varies. And you have to have an AIM i.d. and not a .mac i.d., which punts the whole shebang for me.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 02:59 PM

Apple packaging is so far superior to anything else. The boring boxes a Compaq TabletPC comes in doesn't get me as excited as the little box holding an iSight. Other companies should take notes.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2003, 07:09 PM

If you are ever down here in NC let me know I will take you out to the Land Rover tracks.
Oooh, that sounds nice, Brad. I actually have some balloonist friends in Greensboro. So who knows, maybe I can plan a combined ballooning and offroading trip one of these days.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2003, 11:23 PM

And yes it does "flex" you can easily move it up or down in addition to moving the PB's screen itself.

Cool. I've run into numerous 'no range' zones around my house so if it's a little lessened by the iSight, it wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary for me. I particularly get a dramatically weakened connection when our microwave is running.

sideus
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2003, 11:49 AM

My iSight just arrived. Opening box now.

palmberg
Senior User
Jun 30, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
I watched a friend's Webcam (PC user with a $30 cam), and I was blown away. Ordered an iSight today (two-day shipping...so I'm an impatient SOB). It's my understanding from reading info elsewhere that the iSight will work with Yahoo!Messenger. Did I misread? If true, can I broadcast via Yahoo! and iChat at the same time with one cam?

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2003, 12:46 PM

I watched a friend's Webcam (PC user with a $30 cam), and I was blown away. Ordered an iSight today (two-day shipping...so I'm an impatient SOB). It's my understanding from reading info elsewhere that the iSight will work with Yahoo!Messenger. Did I misread? If true, can I broadcast via Yahoo! and iChat at the same time with one cam?
AFAIK, there's been nothing mentioned about iSight working with anything other than iChat AV. It has been mentioned, though, that it will only work with one app at a time.

sandsl
Senior User
Jun 30, 2003, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
AFAIK, there's been nothing mentioned about iSight working with anything other than iChat AV.
Maybe not by Apple, but it has been said on these very boards that the iSight works in a number of other video applications such as Yahoo.
Luke

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 02:00 AM

No problems here with Airport + iSight + iChat AV.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 06:37 AM

Played around with the camera. Haven't chatted with anybody yet, but I love this camera.

But it sure does get warm!

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 06:29 PM

Tried iSight with ohphonex and it works.

Forum Links
Forum Rules