Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best printer for 12" powerbook

Best printer for 12" powerbook
coolphage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2003, 09:01 PM

I was wondering what the best printer for me would be. I am getting a 12" powerbook. I am looking for a cheap injet printer that prints black in fast and fast color printer not really important. Im looking something economical? any suggestions?
Loving the 12" powerbook.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2003, 01:53 AM

The Canon i850 is an excellent printer. Run a search in the 'Peripherals' forum, there have been quite a few threads about printers there recently.

schwank
Jul 19, 2003, 08:01 AM

Ive allways liked the epson printers, Ive had 3 of them. last time I went out looking for a printer I REALLY tried to buy something else, but couldnt beat the price/quality points of the epson. I typically buy the "photo" models because I need the better prints.

the down side to epson.
they are LOUD.

the print heads are built in so if they dry up and wont clean, you need a new printer (HP has heads built into the cartridges).

when my epson stylus photo 780 (discontinued model) dies Ill probably buy yet another epson.... but Ill try to find something else again.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2003, 10:58 AM

I would highly recommend you get an Epson all-in-one unit. It has been a great space saver, and time saver for me. The model I have, the 5200, is now pretty cheap. There is a lower-end version also, the 3200, that is really affordable.

Mine prints well, scans well, and makes enlargements/contact sheets/copies with just pushing buttons on the unit without the need of a computer.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2003, 11:05 AM

The Canon i850 is an excellent printer.
That's exactly what I was gonna say. It's the best printer I've ever owned.

Now if only a good Bluetooth printer would come out for a good price soon.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 20, 2003, 01:36 AM

I <3 my i850, too.

Epson used to be the best. Now they're the slowest and lowest print quality. And the less frequently you print, the more likely an Epson's print head is to permanently clog.

tooki

Mskr
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2003, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
I <3 my i850, too.

Epson used to be the best. Now they're the slowest and lowest print quality. And the less frequently you print, the more likely an Epson's print head is to permanently clog.

tooki
I just bought an i950, and I'm super happy with it; quiet, fast & wonderful quality for $250. I'd also recommend the i850, if you don't have a 4MP digital camera... Anyway, another bonus is the individual ink tanks, which should help keep ink costs down a little...

If you really want portability to go with your 12" PB, you could also check out the i70, but it's more expensive and it's ink is, too...

Good luck!
Software Architect, CodeTek Studios, Inc.

12" AlBook 867 (Combo drive) 640 MB/40 GB (work development machine) -- TiBook 400MHz/384MB/10GB (home machine)
CodeTek VirtualDesktop Pro: Power multitasking! -- DockExtender: Powerful, efficient launcher for Apps, Docs and everything else!

coolphage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2003, 10:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Has any one had experience with the HP DeskJet 5550 Inkjet Printer. Its free with the rebate deal at the apple store.
Thanks
Nick

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2003, 10:45 AM

I'd also to know about the HP DeskJet 5550. I want to use it as a dorm printer, mostly B&W. That rebate looks tempting. Even if the printer isn't amazing, you can sell it/toss it if you don't want to keep it

BTW, anyone know of a cheap HP Laser printer - under $150? I'd much rather go Laser because the toner produces more per dollar and B&W is my priority.

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2003, 11:02 AM

The Canon i850 is an excellent printer.
Ditto.
That's exactly what I was gonna say.
Ditto.
I <3 my i850, too.
And...ditto!

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2003, 03:49 AM

Hi all,

I purchased my PB 12 and an HP 5550 last week to take advantage of the $99 MIR. Before I chose this printer I went over to epinions.com and checked out the reviews and was surprised at its high ratings. It seems to have very good text and photo printing capabilities. I have yet to set it up but I will post any info I can when I do. Well hope this is helpful. I know this forum has been very useful to me.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

coolphage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Sandbaggins:
Hi all,

I purchased my PB 12 and an HP 5550 last week to take advantage of the $99 MIR. Before I chose this printer I went over to epinions.com and checked out the reviews and was surprised at its high ratings. It seems to have very good text and photo printing capabilities. I have yet to set it up but I will post any info I can when I do. Well hope this is helpful. I know this forum has been very useful to me.
That is what I want to do. Please let us know how it works.
Thanks
Nick

Forum Links
Forum Rules