Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > VPC Save PC State or Shut Down?

VPC Save PC State or Shut Down?
mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2003, 08:34 AM

When I am finsihed using Virtual PC should I shut windows down or is saving the PC state ok to use? I usually just save the PC state since it starts up so much quciker when I need to use it again.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2003, 08:54 AM

I always save the state as well...never a problem here!

mbperk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2003, 04:42 PM

Thanks gorickey!

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2003, 06:15 PM

Depending on how frequently you use it, remember that it is still Windows and that it's memory management is not so good.

Personally, I shut down and reboot my drive images periodically after the equivalent of about 2 weeks of solid use to straighten out Windows and aviod problems.

Now, if you only use the drive image once a week for a few hours, you could go 3 months without doing it....but...I would plan on occasionally doing a full shutdown of Windows (just like they have to do on the real machines)

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2003, 07:23 PM

Both my 98SE and XP Home drive images have been used exclusively from saved states since updating them to VPC6 over six months ago, through several duplications of the drive images (VPC6 copies the saved state also), problem-free and still running at the identical speeds when benchmarked.

I can't see how a saved state affects Windows virtual memory utilization, its just suspending the OS and resuming it exactly as when left off, except time and date getting updated.

What's essential with saved states is to be consistent with USB connected devices, not a saved state as with something connected, then resuming later as unconnected. I prefer to unmount all devices before saving state and remounting after OS gets resumed for problem-free USB driver recognitions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules