Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > So who's going to perform a clean install of Panther?

So who's going to perform a clean install of Panther? (Page 2)
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2003, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by MusicalTone:
I have about 3.5 gigs of data that I would want to carry accross and my applications folder is about 5.2 gig (which includes the orginal apps).

Was thinking of buying a 20 gig iPod, so yes. Will the iPod cope OK? I mean, it was designed to play back and store small AAC files not write gigs of data to disk at a time, right?

I am thinking it would be best to reinstall the apps rather than backing them up and copying them across to Panteher. Correct?

Actually, thinking ahbout it, I could just backup my data and Apps to DVD. Or do you have to install apps not copy them?
The iPod is happy to act as a FireWire hard drive, so go ahead and use it to backup/restore your computer's HD. I probably wouldn't want to leave it mounted and use it as a daily drive (wear & tear), but using it in this manner is completely within the iPod's design.

For apps that install via Drag & Drop, copying them to/from the iPod is fine. For apps that install multiple files in various places (especially the Adobe apps and apps like Final Cut), I'd reinstall off the original CD.

Don't bother copying the Apple apps (Mail, etc) as all that will be installed with Panther and will be newer versions...

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2003, 06:23 PM

Sounds like clean install is the way to go.

Since I have a 80GB Firewire Disk drive, can I simply copy my home folder, and my apps over before I clean install Panther?

What about my mail accounts, bookmarks, and preferences that I already have set up?

Once Panther is installed do I simply copy everything back over from the HD, and everything will be like it was before the install?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2003, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by mbperk:
Sounds like clean install is the way to go.

Since I have a 80GB Firewire Disk drive, can I simply copy my home folder, and my apps over before I clean install Panther?
Use CCC to make a full backup. It's easiest and gives you a working boot partition at all times in case of emergency.

What about my mail accounts, bookmarks, and preferences that I already have set up?

Once Panther is installed do I simply copy everything back over from the HD, and everything will be like it was before the install?
You're questions are all answered in this thread.

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2003, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by Truepop:
I will be formatting my hard drives and iPod.
Be careful, I've read somewhere that reformatting your iPod is not a good idea.

Ah yes, here it is. It seems that if you're not careful you can turn your iPod from the world's best digital music player into a very expensive FW drive.

BTW, I'll be doing a clean install. Seems aas good a time as any to clear all the rubbish off my iBook.

biscuit

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2003, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Use CCC to make a full backup. It's easiest and gives you a working boot partition at all times in case of emergency.You're questions are all answered in this thread.
Thanks Simon!!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by mbperk:
Thanks Simon!!
No problem. Good luck.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2003, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Preciousss:
The one time I did an archive and install, the neat freak in me couldn't stand having an "extra" System folder around. I don't think it's possible to delete this, right?

Luckily, at the time, I hadn't owned my PowerBook for long, so there wasn't much I lost by doing a clean install without any backup.

Still don't have a backup drive. But I am the happy owner of a 40GB iPod. So, I'm probably doing a clean install. I don't mind reinstalling all my extra apps (not that many of them).

Side note: does M$ Office only give you a finite number of installs? I heard somewhere that it was 5. Also, just thought that I won't have access to my PowerBook bundled software with a clean install (mostly use GraphicConverter and the Omni apps). Hmmm.
sudo rm -rf /System
at the terminal.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2003, 01:43 PM

I always format before installing a new OS. That way if something goes wrong, I can't blame it on an upgrade. The extra 30 minutes of time is well worth it for piece of mind.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2003, 01:45 PM

I'll Archive & Install, then remove my previous System with sudo rm-rf /System.
P.S. There is a difference between Clean Install and HD wipe. A Clean Install doesn't completely wipe your HD. It only gets rid of parts of it.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2003, 08:32 AM

How long does it take to wipe (overwrite with zeros) an 80 GB disk with a MDD 1.25?
( Last edited by danengel; Oct 14, 2003 at 10:09 AM. )

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2003, 10:29 AM

i'm going to go thru and clean out my home folder - if what's left is less than 30gb (the size of my iPod) i'll do a clean install. otherwise, archive and install it is!

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2003, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by ryaxnb:
sudo rm -rf /System
at the terminal.
Wouldn't that erase the active system folder? Doing so will cause a lot of problems.

If i recall it correctly the old System folder should be in /previous Systems

And it should be possible to erase the previous System in the Finder. Just enter your Admin password if asked.

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2003, 10:56 AM

sudo rm -rf /System
If I did a clean install, I couldn't resist to 'sudo rm -rf /*'. It's the one command you must never type in your life, but if there is a chance, I will try it!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules