Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Do I have to re-purchase Microsoft Office?

Do I have to re-purchase Microsoft Office?
Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2006, 06:53 PM

Long story short, my computer died and I had to get a new macbook. I bought the student edition of office a few years back, used one of the licenses, gave the second to my sister for her mac, and the third to my mom. I no longer have the install disc or package with the serial numbers.

Should I just copy office of my sister's or mom's computer and put it on mine? Or can I somehow unlock the trial version that's already on here since I already paid for it? Please let me know what way I should go about this.
Thanks alot you guys

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2006, 07:08 PM

You can't unlock the trial version-it's not the complete package anyway. And you really can't get the software to work reliably by copying it from another computer. Do your sister or mother still have the media for it?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mikemako
Senior User
Aug 16, 2006, 10:14 PM

I have found that just copying the Microsoft Office folder is sufficient for running Office on my second computer. Are there any crucial files that don't get copied over when this method is used?
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2006, 12:01 AM

The Microsoft Office folder used to be self-contained until one of the recent updates. Now there are some Spotlight plugins installed in /Library/Spotlight by the updates. If you don't care about the Spotlight plugins, you can safely copy the Office folder. You might be able to run the 11.2.5 updater again to get the plugins.
Vandelay Industries

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2006, 01:22 AM

I have successfully copied my office folder from my imac G5, to an ibook G4, to an intel imac, to a Powerbook without ever re-installing from the disc. It has worked for me!
My Blog-pakos.me

Artanis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2006, 02:04 AM

Yeah, just copying the files works fine from Panther to Tiger and viceversa, however you really need to be carreful about the license. I don't understand how you people loose your cds.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 17, 2006, 11:13 AM

I stand corrected about the copying issue. I didn't think MS would let that be so easy.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2006, 12:01 PM

Well, that was one of the touted features of Mac Office: drag and drop installation. And until recently, everything was kept in the MS Office folder except for fonts which were auto-installed into each user's home (should really go into /Library/Fonts instead). Now with the recently added Spotlight support, there is now a plugin in /Library/Spotlight. However, that isn't needed for Office to run.
Vandelay Industries

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2006, 12:19 PM

Apple bundles the Office-Spotlight-medatadaimporter with the OS.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2006, 12:31 PM

Not the Entourage one. That's what I was referring to.
Vandelay Industries

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2006, 02:11 PM

If I recall correctly, the drag and drop install gets you most of what you would need but may not be a 'complete' install of every component. Then, when you try to use a function or component that is not there it will ask for the cd.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2006, 02:21 PM

No the drag and drop install gets you everything. The installer by default gives you a reduced feature set that you can customize further to either include everything or even less.
Vandelay Industries

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 03:40 PM

I ended up just putting office on a cd and transfering it back to my new computer. However, whenever I open a program, be it word excel or powerpoint, I get a message "An unexpected error occured while trying to load the microsoft framework library."
Anyone know what this means?

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb
I ended up just putting office on a cd and transfering it back to my new computer. However, whenever I open a program, be it word excel or powerpoint, I get a message "An unexpected error occured while trying to load the microsoft framework library."
Try downloading the latest updates for your version of Office.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2006, 04:45 PM

Yup.... update repeatedly until it's done. The only restriction MS places on the Student and Teacher edition is that it can't run two copies on the same network. It checks on launch and the second copy won't load until the first one quits.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb
It sounds like you either didn't copy the files without some corruption, or the "framework library" was not with the rest of the app(s). Doesn't Office break some Mac rules by installing in more than just its own Applications folder?

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
It sounds like you either didn't copy the files without some corruption, or the "framework library" was not with the rest of the app(s). Doesn't Office break some Mac rules by installing in more than just its own Applications folder?
No really, just update Office until it works. It happens on totally clean, original installs.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2006, 06:22 PM

Youch! It really says its library is goobered?!?! Bad. Just. Plain. Bad.

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Youch! It really says its library is goobered?!?! Bad. Just. Plain. Bad.
Unfortunately, yes...that's MS for you. Here's some info straight from the horse's as...er, mouth:
After you install Office 2004 for Mac SP2, you receive an error message when you start Entourage 2004 for Mac, Excel 2004 for Mac, PowerPoint 2004 for Mac, or Word 2004 for Mac
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Macola
Awesome. Thanks alot, Macola. After applying this update everything appears to be running smoothly.

I have to say, I am extremely impressed with rosetta, Apple has truly made this transition as painless as possible.

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2006, 10:18 PM

Why not try the Neooffice 2.0 "Aqua" Office that just came out today? It's aqualicious and will read/save Word files.

NeoOffice Home

Get the beta 3 for your platform (PowerPC or Intel - no rosetta required )

You can copy it as much as you like, legally.

W

Forum Links
Forum Rules