Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Which used G4 should I Iook for?

Which used G4 should I Iook for?
marcfabien
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 07:11 PM

Hi,
Not wanting to get into the new core duo iMacs (reliability, available software), I'm thinking of buying a used G4. I know it comes in several flavours: which one is the most stable+fast ?
thanx,
Marc

mikemako
Senior User
Aug 31, 2006, 04:06 PM

My computer is a Powermac G4 (Dual) 1.42GHz. It was the fastest in the line G4 Powermacs, can hold up to 2GB Memory, and up to 4 internal Hard Drives. It is (still) a very fast and stable computer, and I would recommend it to anyone in the market.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

OreoCookie
Aug 31, 2006, 04:26 PM

What is your budget?
Perhaps it's enough to get a used G5 …
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2006, 06:21 PM

The Dual 1.42 is the fastest Power Mac G4, but also the nosiest. I would go for a dual 1GHz Quicksilver, they are fast, and pretty quiet too. You can have up to 1.5GB of RAM on these. The Quicksilvers are also pretty reliable, I know my uncle's dual 1.25GHz has a few small issues, like a dead USB port.

mikemako
Senior User
Sep 1, 2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
The Dual 1.42 is the fastest Power Mac G4, but also the nosiest.
Yes, I should have mentioned that. My Powermac is pretty noisey, but other than that it is a super sweet machine.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2006, 10:33 AM

I have two MDDs. Yes, they can be a bit noisy, but the speed is still very acceptable and very expandable. Over the years, I've owed several G4s; Sawtooth, Digital Audio, QuickSilver, and MDD. I like the MDDs the most.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 2, 2006, 10:42 AM

Another recommendation for an MDD.

I'm on my 4th (I've gone through so many Macs it's kinda sad) and am just as happy with it as I was with the others.

Noisy? Somewhat. In comparison to a Cube, maybe. But not much louder than your average desktop PC. If noise is a true concern, all you'd need to do with a newer MDD model (like a Dual 1.42) is spend $10 for a new 120mm case fan.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

GabrieL^
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by marcfabien
Hi,
Not wanting to get into the new core duo iMacs (reliability
they have reliability issues? can someone explains this a little bit more, i was thinking about getting one.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Another recommendation for an MDD.

I'm on my 4th (I've gone through so many Macs it's kinda sad) and am just as happy with it as I was with the others.

Noisy? Somewhat. In comparison to a Cube, maybe. But not much louder than your average desktop PC. If noise is a true concern, all you'd need to do with a newer MDD model (like a Dual 1.42) is spend $10 for a new 120mm case fan.
I also like the MDD Power Mac. It is a great machine with a huge advantage versus any other G4 Power Mac out there: dual optical drives, FireWire 800, four internal hard disk capable, internal Bluetooth & AirPort Extreme… h€ll !! you could even run the 30 inches Apple Display installing a Radeon 9600 Pro Dual DVI on your MDD, AFAIK you can not do it with any other Power Mac G4.

Slightly off-topic: Lateralus, I have read than the main culprit about the MDD being kinda noisy is the power supply unit fans, so the quickest and easiest way to make the MDD quieter is to change them, what I don't know is if my 2003 MDD (last OS 9 Bootable Power Mac ever) can be any quieter or what I got from factory is actually the best can be achieved with this model. Truth be told, being quieter is the only thing I would change about my MDD, oh well, a Dual CPU would be nicer, no doubt.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2006, 05:56 PM

This might sound a little weird, but I have to say the MDD G4 is my favorite mac of all time.

4 Hard drives bays, 2 optical drives bays, 4 open PCI slots, compact case, easy upgradability, great design.

Many of these features were Taken AWAY in the G5 and the brought back in the Mac Pro.

The MDD G4's are definetaly better than the G5's in many ways.

Definetaly get one of those. It was a sad day when I packed mine up and shipped it, after selling it on ebay.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2006, 08:55 PM

You can have 4 hds on Quicksilvers and other Power Mac G4s too, just not "officially." The MDD also came with a 128Mb ATI graphics card too as a BTO option, if you can find one. I like the MDD too, but I think the front is a bit cluttered looking, not as elegant as the Quicksilvers. The chrome reminds me of a '50s Cadillac

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2006, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Slightly off-topic: Lateralus, I have read than the main culprit about the MDD being kinda noisy is the power supply unit fans, so the quickest and easiest way to make the MDD quieter is to change them, what I don't know is if my 2003 MDD (last OS 9 Bootable Power Mac ever) can be any quieter or what I got from factory is actually the best can be achieved with this model. Truth be told, being quieter is the only thing I would change about my MDD, oh well, a Dual CPU would be nicer, no doubt.
The last rev of the MDDs had a new powersupply. You can still change the case fan to a quieter one.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2006, 05:53 AM

I wonder how hard to replace the case fan could be, I don't really like the idea to mess with this MDD since it is so far the only Mac which have never gave me a single issue, besides being kinda noisy.

Nevertheless, I have read this:
G4 DDR Noise reduction

(2) We are also now working with Untitled Document, parent company of Germany's Papst Fan company, to find a replacement fan for the very noisy Delta 120mm CPU fan. As you know, several users in Europe have found their G4's become so quiet they only hear their hard drives spinning after installing the Papst fan. But thus far, they have not been able to obtain one that meets the air moving specs of the Delta. But now, working with the parent company of Papst, we are locating the appropriate fan and will be running tests.

--> source: xlr8yourmac.com

So, does single 1,25 GHz MDD models come with such Delta 120mm CPU fan?

Which fan available at DC fans, AC Fans, ebm papst, cooling fans, blowers would be better suited to the MDD? -I can not see any update info on xlr8yourmac.com about this issue- If there was a better option I would be grateful to know about it.

So far the only modification I have done to the MDD was to replace the optical drive.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by GabrieL^
they have reliability issues? can someone explains this a little bit more, i was thinking about getting one.
I have no idea what the OP was talking about... the iMacs, along with the Intel Mini's, have had virtually 0 problems. The only reason I can think of for the OP not wanting an iMac is available native software, but even then, surely a Core Duo will run programs faster, or even at the same speed as a G4 machine, and, in time, will out perform it by miles.

To the original poster; if you can afford it, I strongly suggest an intel iMac... unless you need the expandability of the G4 PM (though its hardware, ie PCI, ATA etc, is getting old, and hence less and less upgrade options will be available)
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
(though its hardware, ie PCI, ATA etc, is getting old, and hence less and less upgrade options will be available)
What? There is TONS of PCI and ATA stuff still available new.

Forum Links
Forum Rules