Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G3 900Mhz --dead screen-- help

iBook G3 900Mhz --dead screen-- help
SLDWeb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2006, 10:10 AM

Help ... my iBook G3 900Mhz 12” LCD w/OS10.2.8 screen is dead. I can boot the computer just fine (I hear the fan start up and the “chime” sound, then I can light the “num lock” and/or “caps lock” plus the CD tray will eject and such and it will even got to sleep with the little white light by the silver open tab and then wake up, and I can make it a FireWire Target disk and access the HD from my desktop) ... but the screen is totally black. When the screen is dead, I’ve reset the PRam and the PRV (?) but nothing works ... with the power cord plugged in or not.

So its a dead screen ... but then after shutting it down and letting it sit for 4-8 hours I can get it to turn on, with or without the power cord. What's up AKA what's broken?

SLDWeb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2006, 11:26 AM

and I hooked it up to an external monitor and it would not work ... so I don't think it is the read switch ... maybe the logic board.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2006, 03:35 PM

It's probably the logic board.

clockworkwar
Oct 10, 2006, 03:43 PM

Ye its the sad sign on a laptop on the demise. Send it to apple or some place to get it fixed if you want to pay out, or buy a new laptop. Are probably your ownly options.

mikemako
Senior User
Oct 10, 2006, 10:13 PM

I have almost the same laptop, an 800MHz G3 iBook. The logic board on it died about a month ago, and I had the same problem: no display.

Apple charges $295 (USD) to fix it, unless it's within 3 years of the day you purchased it. If it's been less than 3 years then you should be able to get it fixed for free.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

SLDWeb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2006, 09:56 PM

Thanks everybody for your imput /help ... I've sent the system in for repair, under 90 day waranty from a 2nd hand MAC reseller. But now I am worried about the system overall. Is the iBook 900 Mhz a keeper? Or is it best auctioned off ASAP and repalced with a newer model? i.e. after the logic board is repalced what is the ETA for the next major break down? (I am thinking about getting a use iMac as my main system and keeping the laptop for travel DVD fun.)

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2006, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by SLDWeb
Thanks everybody for your imput /help ... I've sent the system in for repair, under 90 day waranty from a 2nd hand MAC reseller. But now I am worried about the system overall. Is the iBook 900 Mhz a keeper? Or is it best auctioned off ASAP and repalced with a newer model? i.e. after the logic board is repalced what is the ETA for the next major break down? (I am thinking about getting a use iMac as my main system and keeping the laptop for travel DVD fun.)
i'm also interested in other's opinions on this. a 900 has potential for being a good travel machine, but will it be?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Forum Links
Forum Rules