Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Msn messanger on Macbook?

Msn messanger on Macbook?
Northface25
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2006, 12:42 PM

Hello, I am new to the message board and have been reading through it. I am finding a lot of helpfull info. Its great!

I am using a Pc rigth now and am looking to buy a Macbook. My question is will I be able to download MSN messanger to it or do I need to install Windows xp first to the Macbook?

Thank you in advance. Josh

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 15, 2006, 01:21 PM

1. What does this have to do with PowerMacs? It should be in the Applications forum.
2. Yes MSN messenger is available for the Mac, many people including myself prefer an application called Adium.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2006, 01:23 PM

Microsoft has a Mac version of MSN messenger...I recommend trying out Adium which is like Trillian for Windows and does all major IM protocols. It does not do audio or video chat, however (only ichat, aMSN, and Yahoo really support video).

musikluvr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2006, 05:30 AM

I've never heard of Adium OR Trillian. Are they both like Messenger?

I'm in highschool, and me and my friends are obsessed with MSN, and I've decided to start saving for a MacBook Pro, and my 'rents are all like: "You need to find out everything you can FIRST"

So, this is classed as important to me. Typical teenager.

And another with the Adium thing, can you still contact your MSN contacts with them?

OreoCookie
Nov 8, 2006, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by musikluvr View Post
I've never heard of Adium OR Trillian. Are they both like Messenger?
Trillian is the most famous multi-protocol chat program in the Windows world. Adium is the closest thing on MacOS X. The advantage is that if you use several chat protocols at the same time (in my case: Yahoo, MSN and ICQ), you have only one chat application instead of three.

However, if you don't like Adium for one reason or another, there are other alternatives, e. g. Microsoft's MSN Messenger (the official Mac client), Fire (another multi-protocol client) and a few more.
Originally Posted by musikluvr View Post
And another with the Adium thing, can you still contact your MSN contacts with them?
Yes. If you don't like Adium, you can still use the official MSN Client.

There's also Skype for OS X which I use for voice and video chats. The quality is much, much better than what Yahoo for example has to offer.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2006, 02:33 PM

Just don't forget that MSN Messenger for Mac does not do video chat like the PC version.

mikemako
Senior User
Nov 8, 2006, 11:08 PM

I use Microsoft Messenger myself. It runs really well on my MacBook, and looks good (in my opinion). Here a link to Microsoft's Messenger page:

Microsoft Messenger
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

kroko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2006, 12:33 AM

you can also try fire.
previously i used adium. and colloquy, because good old irc is still my favorite. file allows to do that all in one (only minus- ns and cs commads wont run there)

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2006, 01:06 AM

You can also use iChat via a Jabber-account like this one: Jabber Australia: iChat Jabber tutorial

viruscool
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2006, 06:56 AM

I second Adium as the best IM client on OS X, esspecially because it is so easy to make it look damn sexy. Plus MSN on Mac and PC looks like a bloated piece of crap
(The dark lord has risen again......Beware)

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2006, 09:49 AM

If you have to video chat with PC users, Skype seems to be the most foolproof solution.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 04:00 AM

If you need all the silly features of MSN (Winks and so on) you will need to look at aMSN or Mercury Messenger. These are both free applications that have all the silly MSN features, but the User Interface isnt the greatest.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules