Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > eMac screen dying, how much do Apple charge to replace it?

eMac screen dying, how much do Apple charge to replace it?
WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2006, 05:15 PM

Anyone had to have their eMac's CRT replaced out of warranty? My brother's screen is on the way out I think and I have a bad feeling that Apple will want a ludicrous amount to fix it. Colours are going a bit strange in one corner and it has a flicker too.

Any help appreciated!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2006, 05:17 PM

It would be ludicrous indeed.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2006, 05:45 PM

Care to put a rough price tag on it?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 17, 2006, 05:51 PM

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2006, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Checked this? Apple - Support - eMac Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues

Not sure whether yours is covered.
Thanks for that, I'll check tonight and pray that it's covered!

mikemako
Senior User
Dec 19, 2006, 01:30 PM

My parent's eMac screen was dying and Apple told me it would be $600 to fix it, almost the cost of the computer when I bought it!

If you bought your Mac within the last 3 years it might be covered for a free repair, check that link from seanc to verify if your computer's serial number falls in the range.

Good luck!
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2006, 03:17 PM

Bah, it falls outside of the range of serial numbers. Oh well, I'll ask them anyway.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2006, 05:29 PM

Just buy a cheap external monitor and that use that. I'm pretty sure the eMac supports video mirroring.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2006, 07:02 PM

That's what I'm considering, a cheap 17" screen would do the job. According to MacTracker it can drive the internal screen to 1280x960 so can I get an LCD of that res and it would just work at the native res do you think?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 19, 2006, 10:55 PM

Considering the age of the eMac in question, I'd buy a new computer and get away from the CRT all together. It would not only get your brother a much faster and more capable computer, it would use a LOT less electricity. Just my 2¢ worth (about 1d where you are ).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2006, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Considering the age of the eMac in question, I'd buy a new computer and get away from the CRT all together. It would not only get your brother a much faster and more capable computer, it would use a LOT less electricity. Just my 2¢ worth (about 1d where you are ).
Not a bad idea. Sell it before it loses even more value. You might still be able to get a few hundred for it from someone who can fix it themselves or doesn't mind plugging it into an external display. Then you can get either a new entry-level iMac for $999 or a Mac mini + third-party LCD for about the same. (Personally I'd go that route so the screen and computer can be replaced separately, to make future upgrades cheaper.)

iMacYouMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2006, 04:11 PM

Bust that eMac apart and sell the logic board and such on eBay. You'll be surprised by how you much you make off that. Then get the iMac or Mac Mini + LCD.
iMac Core 2 Duo 17" - 2Ghz - 2GB Ram - 160GB HD - 250GB Ext - Bluetooth Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - MAudio Fast Track

Antec Nine Hundred Case - Gigabyte 965S3 - 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo -1GB Corsair XMS Ram - 400GB 3.0Gbps Seagate HD - 160GB Ext - X1900GT PCI 16x - Audigy 2 ZS

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2006, 04:16 PM

Store Genius said £300-£400 for a new screen, lol. And now spookily, it's suddenly started behaving itself again. All very odd indeed...

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2006, 07:06 PM

Sounds like you should sell it while its working!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mikemako
Senior User
Dec 23, 2006, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by WOPR View Post
Store Genius said £300-£400 for a new screen, lol. And now spookily, it's suddenly started behaving itself again. All very odd indeed...
This is so funny.. that's exactly what happened to me! I took the eMac in and they told me how much it would cost. No way was I going to pay $600 (USD) so I just took it back home and it started working perfectly again! That was about 4 months ago. YEAH! The eMac knows what's going on...
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

dave39
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2006, 06:13 AM

I'm running a 700Mhz eMac with external 19" LCD with no trouble, the CRT has an internittent fault causing the picture to shrink but it has no effect on the LCD picture so the fault is in the EHT area of the eMac rather than the driver card.

Another question: the original eMac keyboard has a CD drive open and close key; if you don't have that keyboard, can you program one of the function keys to do the same or some other key combination. At the moment I can open the CD tray at startup by holding the mouse down but that doesn't work afterwards. At the moment I prise open the CD door and press the open button - real pain in 'arse'.

Dave

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2006, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by dave39 View Post
I'm running a 700Mhz eMac with external 19" LCD with no trouble, the CRT has an internittent fault causing the picture to shrink but it has no effect on the LCD picture so the fault is in the EHT area of the eMac rather than the driver card.

Another question: the original eMac keyboard has a CD drive open and close key; if you don't have that keyboard, can you program one of the function keys to do the same or some other key combination. At the moment I can open the CD tray at startup by holding the mouse down but that doesn't work afterwards. At the moment I prise open the CD door and press the open button - real pain in 'arse'.

Dave
Hi

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me what LCD you are using and what resolution it is please?

As for your second point, I use a small app called Ardiem to open the tray on my external DVD writer, works like a charm and I assume you can choose the internal drive too.

Here it is, give it a whirl, and it's free too.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2006, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Sounds like you should sell it while its working!
I'd like to be able to persuade him to sell it but he doesn't like spending money! Who knows where this will end up...

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 12:58 PM

I think you need to learn about this word:

does - Definitions from Dictionary.com

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I think you need to learn about this word:

does - Definitions from Dictionary.com

Thank you for your stunning contribution to this thread.

Idiot.

kick52
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by WOPR View Post
Thank you for your stunning contribution to this thread.

Idiot.
yeah.. i mean, what relevance did that have?

anyway, yeah. you should persuade your brother to sell it, and get a newer mac mini or something.

i had a problem with my old iMac G3, where it would flicker and made a "tick" sound occasonly.
but i stopped using it once i got my powermac
( Last edited by kick52; Dec 24, 2006 at 11:50 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 23, 2006, 02:28 PM

Calling people names is not acceptable here. While I can't see a point in the "definition of does" post, being rude to other people is uncalled for and counter productive. In other words, "knock it off." Particularly the crudities, kick52. Remember, "family-friendly" forums?

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2006, 04:54 PM

Sorry but he didn't exactly word his post in a brilliant way did he? A simple smiley would have made all the difference. Annnnnnnnyway....

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2006, 11:08 AM

Yep, and I forget that my own attitude and emotions don't come through sometimes too. My bad when I let it happen, and I usually catch myself before that.

Anyway, what's the status with your brother's machine? "Cheap" is a word with a lot of meanings, and "the most economically advantageous choice" is not among them. Fixing an old machine that is not in any way a classic (as opposed to a '66 Mustang, even a '59 Ford Prefect auto) is a poor economy. The eMac is NOT something that will go down in the annals of computerdom as a machine to be reckoned with. In other words, is he just out of funds, or is he somehow in love with his eMac enough to not want to part with it? I'd consider the external LCD solution a "work around" rather than a solution in and of itself, mainly because to me the eMac is too big to have on the desk unless it's right in front of me.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2006, 12:07 PM

Status is this. He's not a tech person, but he needs it for his digital camera, email and web. It's only 2 years old, and cost him £700. I agree with him that he should expect to get at least 4 years use out of the machine, as he's a 'light' user, i.e. doesn't need a very powerful Mac. Anyway, we'll see how it goes, at the moment it's behaving itself...

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2006, 01:25 PM

I hope it stays that way for him. CRTs are funny animals sometimes. They can hiccough and look like they're dying, and then never give you another moment's trouble.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2006, 03:11 PM

I used it again today and it still seems OK.

Forum Links
Forum Rules