Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > need buying advice (PB vs MB)

need buying advice (PB vs MB)
kweinstein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 01:53 PM

I have $1299 to spend on a new 'book. Should I get a refurb PB (1.67 GHz) or a refurb Macbook Core Duo (2.0 GHz)?
They are both priced at $1299 on Apple Store.
I mostly do web-based apps (GoogleApps, Safari), spreadsheets, iMovie and iTunes.

Thank you for your advice.

- Ken

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 03:42 PM

What spreadsheet do you use? If it is MS office, you may find that the PB is faster. It's certainly a great machine, but you should bear in mind that it is not a technology that will be developed any further. How long do you intend to keep it? Either will meet the needs you describe, both have features the other lacks. Obviously the MB has an iSight, while the PB has a better graphics card. Screen size might be a determining factor for you?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 03:44 PM

One is a discontinued product on a dying architecture, the other is a current product on a current-generation architecture.

The MacBook is going to be a *lot* faster in most cases, and it's only a matter of time until Office is Universal.

kweinstein  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 06:10 PM

I use Excel and Word all day. Work on a 1.66 GHz Dell (Win XP) at work and I really like the way it "snaps". No waiting for anything, ever.

Does the MB snap? My 500 MHz iBook at home surely does not, even with 256 MB of RAM.

Thanks,

Ken

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2007, 07:00 PM

Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2007, 11:08 PM

for what little you're doing: a NEW ibook from macmall.
699 for a 12"
899 for a 14"
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2007, 12:19 AM

$999 refurb black MacBook. Or $1299 refurb MacBook Pro. If you have to, partition it out and use XP when you need to run Office programs. I was in a similar dilemma and I just thought that yeah, PowerBooks work very well for me now and do everything I need, but my needs and tastes might change over the next few years and I want a machine thats going to be able to handle emerging programs or updates of exisiting programs (10.5 especially). So getting the Intel machine was a no brainer. And of course if it's a matter of form factor or glossy vs. matte display or 13" vs. 15", refurbed MBPs are reasonably priced ($1349 for the cheapest MBP with glossy display and 2.0 GHz CD). I ended up getting the black MacBook because of the size, color, glossy screen, and the scratch resistance it has over the white MacBook. I was very tempted to get the glossy MBP but couldn't quite budget for it and couldn't justify spending the extra $350 since I don't do anything that requires dedicated graphics or the extra screen space.

Anyways, enough of my own story. At the end of the day, I'd say go with what's going to have support for emerging programs in the future. Once all apps are native, you'll really be thankfully. And of course, you can always partition and use Winblows if you have to.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

ChasingApple
Senior User
Mar 1, 2007, 05:49 AM

I vote Macbook, once office is launched the first time it is instant for all files until you restart the computer.
iMac G4 / Macbook

kweinstein  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
for what little you're doing: a NEW ibook from macmall.
699 for a 12"
899 for a 14"
Will it "snap" though?

Ken

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by kweinstein View Post
Will it "snap" though?

Ken
The real question is "Will it BLEND"?!

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2007, 01:12 PM

All about the snappy.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2007, 05:46 PM

snap crackle pop.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Arju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2007, 02:42 AM

MacBook... Universal Binary Office is coming soon.
Notebook: MacBook White 2.0Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HD | Superdrive
HTPC: AMD 3800X2 | Asus A8N-SLI Premium | 2GB RAM | Asus N7800GT | 900+ GB of Storage | Sony 60" Grand WEGA
iPod Video 80GB

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2007, 12:10 PM

If your needs aren't extremely urgent (and they don't seem to be) you might want to wait until Leopard comes out, because it'll be included with the refurbs at that point. Also, you should go with a MB C2D because it will have the 11.n card in it, which will give you much better range and throughput than a PB. MB Core Duo don't have the 11.n card.

For a typical laptop user, the main draws are wireless range, HD space, and RAM. You're gonna have to upgrade the RAM whichever model you buy, you can get an external fw/usb 2.0 case and lg HD pretty reasonably (if you follow the sales) so that leaves wireless range. I had a Titanium with extremely lousy wireless range (until I got a wireless PC-card, at which point the wireless range rivalled the iBook range) so I definitely can tell you that poor wireless range is the pits.

The only remaining decision is whether you can live with a glossy screen. Glossy just won't work for many people, so you should go to both an Apple Store and a CompUSA to compare glossy and matte in various lighting environments. Personally, my typical user environment just won't do well with glossy.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2007, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
The real question is "Will it BLEND"?!
That would be hilarious to get the blend guy to blend a macbook!!!! The ipods been blended!!!!

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 12:13 AM

Snap and blend that MacBook...and make it snappy.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

applgeek
Mar 5, 2007, 01:18 AM

I would advise the macbook, because it happens to be newer, and has a dual core processor, and an N card, and you can get that as a refurb.

I dont recommend the macmall ibook. It doesnt snap. I had one before this macbook, and i can say this macbook is instant where the ibook would get the Beachball/ spinning wheel of death.

That would probably be becasue of Ram ( THe macbook does have more)

I noticed that you were looking at the 1299 model. If you cared about power that much, the choice is obvious. 1x1.67 VS 2x2.0 GHZ ( intel has slower clock speeds PER processor, but has a lot more cache, and the overall speed of the intel is faster.)

I think the choice is obvious. Get a Refubished Macbook while you can. It's faster, cheaper, and more durable.

kweinstein  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2007, 01:46 PM

Thank you all for advice. I got the MB this morning and it runs pretty fast - I am pleased. I appreciate all the help.

Ken

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2007, 02:48 PM

But does it snap?
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Bob Marley
Mar 8, 2007, 07:43 PM

lol dude dual core processing owns 1.67GHz powerbook

Forum Links