Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The ipod function in my iPhone crashes all the time

The ipod function in my iPhone crashes all the time
ideasculptor
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2007, 11:51 PM

Anyone else seeing this? If I am listening to music and surfing the web, reading email, or using google maps, the ipod functionality will ALWAYS crash before it gets to the end of even a single song. When it crashes, the interfaces goes black and then returns to the home screen, and when I reenter my app, more often than not my work is completely lost and the app is back in its default state. As far as I am concerned, the ability to listen to music and use the internet is fundamental to the device, and without it, it is just a $500 piece of trash. Note: I have tested this using tracks purchased from the iTunes music store as well as tracks ripped to AAC by me. It is the same problem in either case. The ipod only works if I do not use the network for anything while listening to music. I'd love to hear that I'm the only one and that I got a defective unit, cause otherwise, this hunk of junk is going back to apple and will not be replaced.

ideasculptor  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2007, 12:01 AM

Further note. It was working fine last night, but I only had about 100 tracks on it then. Today, I put about 3GB of music on it, leaving me several hundred megs of free space, and now whenever I try to do anything network related, it kills the ipod softare and sends me back to the home screen. I can duplicate the behaviour trivially by just going to google maps and dragging around on the map for 30 seconds or so. Similarly, any kind of rapid surfing in Safari triggers the exact same thing. I haven't tried pulling all my tracks back off the iPhone since storing audio is supposed to be a core function. It should just work. It isn't completely full, and every track installed on it plays just fine in every ipod I've ever owned.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jul 1, 2007, 12:09 AM

I've had Safari crash a few times which brought me back to the main screen. Haven't messed with iPod functionality enough to see if there's an issue that affects me.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

mikemako
Senior User
Jul 1, 2007, 12:17 AM

yeah, it's got some big bugs. I've had the same problem with the iPod crashing while surfing the net, and Safari has crashed a few times as well. Looking forward to the update that will correct this.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

ideasculptor  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2007, 12:35 AM

Completely shutting down the iphone (hold the sleep button down for 5 seconds, then move the slider) and restarting seems to have fixed the problem. At least, I can no longer cause it to happen inside of 1 minute every time I try.

mikemako
Senior User
Jul 1, 2007, 12:43 AM

I just shut down & restarted my iPhone and it seems to have cleared up the bugs for me too! Great advice, thanks.

websteve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 08:00 AM

I have been having those problems also then today the sound in my ipod part of the iphone stopped working. the songs showed that they were playing but not sound.... The sound in the rest of the phone and in the video section worked fine but no sound for the music...

I tried to sync it to see if that helped but every time I try to go to the music tab of the iphone (in itunes) iTunes crashes....

What should I do? I even tried reseting all the preferences (deleting files and all) then restoring it from the back up. everything came back accept the music and since I can no longer go to that tab I cant add any.... HELP........

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2007, 09:54 AM

Those of you having trouble: are you syncing with Windows computers or Macs?

Just curious...
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2007, 01:24 PM

I have been having odd problems as well. When I am listening to podcasts (which is 95% of what I listen to) many times when I go to the iPod screen to either start or stop the playback I encounter a situation where the controls are visible but they will not respond. This usually lasts about 10 seconds and then it works fine. I have a similar problem in Mail where sometimes when I am typing the keyboard freezes for 5 to 10 seconds and then resumes entering all my keystrokes at once (which are usually garbage since I have been randomly clicking on the keyboard trying to get it to work)...and yes I now just wait (I can learn).
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

websteve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 05:57 PM

Im using Mac OS X the newest version.. its on a G5 dual 1.8

Everything is upto date so I dont understand what is happing.

quiklee
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 07:16 PM

i just posted the solution on my blog . . . hopefully this helps:

iPhone iPod Crash Solutions | Mr. Gary Lee
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2007, 07:39 PM

I saw my first iPod crash today while surfing (ironically?) to Apple's web page with a song playing in the background. I am tempted to try converting my Library to AAC, but that will take a LONG time on my PB G4 1.67, with 1bout 1800 songs and 18GB worth. I am going to wait this out and see if others try it (and see if it works for them). (Or perhaps this could be fixed in a future update)...

quiklee
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 08:18 PM

ya . it's definitely going to be a pain converting my 60GB of music . . . i remember the first time around having to place each CD in the slot . . one at a time . . .
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2007, 08:19 PM

I've had the iPod app quit several times while surfing the net as well, although it's not quite as predictable or as sudden as ideasculptor described. I am a little surprised at this and the Safari crashes I've had. I haven't had any problems with overall stability, but these two issues do stand out.

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
I am tempted to try converting my Library to AAC, but that will take a LONG time on my PB G4 1.67, with 1bout 1800 songs and 18GB worth. I am going to wait this out and see if others try it (and see if it works for them). (Or perhaps this could be fixed in a future update)...
Not to mention that it'll degrade audio quality if you're converting from another lossy source (like mp3). You probably won't notice it if you're just using Apple's default buds, but if you have a decent pair of headphones, you'll probably be able to tell. I've got Etymotic ER-6i buds (fantastic earphones - a world apart from the pack in Apple phones), and I can easily tell the difference between a 128kbps AAC song encoded from a CD and one encoded from a 128 kbps mp3 song. Then again, I'm a bit of an audiophile .

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by vertigociel View Post
Not to mention that it'll degrade audio quality if you're converting from another lossy source (like mp3). You probably won't notice it if you're just using Apple's default buds, but if you have a decent pair of headphones, you'll probably be able to tell. I've got Etymotic ER-6i buds (fantastic earphones - a world apart from the pack in Apple phones), and I can easily tell the difference between a 128kbps AAC song encoded from a CD and one encoded from a 128 kbps mp3 song. Then again, I'm a bit of an audiophile .
I just did a quick test to see how fast my computer will do this - I think it would take about 23 hours at 30 seconds per song. And I agree on the audio degradation. Some of these have already been converted once. I don't want to do it again. And I do have some decent headphones, but they DON'T fit in my new iPhone! (Oh wait - that is a different thread).

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2007, 09:25 PM

Just for fun, I just tried to see if my iPhone would have problems while playing a few of the purchased AAC tracks from the iTunes store. Sure enough, it didn't get through a single song while loading the apple web page, and I tried again at ESPN.com, and this one actually stopped playing the song, AND appeared to crash safari as well. I don't think I will be converting my songs to AAC.

One thing I did notice is that a few times, the song would stop playing, but when I went back to the iPod section, it was still on the same album song list it was on when it had stopped. I had a few early crashes where the iPod went back to the coverflow screen's first album (these may have been when safari was in landscape mode, and when I went to the ipod, the phone was still horizontal and forced the coverflow view)...

Still seems pretty repeatable, though.

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2007, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
Just for fun, I just tried to see if my iPhone would have problems while playing a few of the purchased AAC tracks from the iTunes store. Sure enough, it didn't get through a single song while loading the apple web page, and I tried again at ESPN.com, and this one actually stopped playing the song, AND appeared to crash safari as well.
That is pretty unstable - I certainly hope it's not typical iPhone behavior. Have you tried taking it to the Genius Bar and showing them the problem? Or is this an "acceptable" Rev. A issue?

crazyBrit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2007, 01:13 PM

Before you do anything drastic with your music library, reboot your iPhone first. It clears out most issues. To reboot, hold down the sleep/wake and home buttons together for a few seconds. You will then be invited to turn the phone off. Do so. Then press the sleep/wake button to reboot. It only takes a few seconds and the phone will be completely stable again.

My whole music library is in MP3 and I have no problems at all. I have a stuffed 8GiG.

Nigel.

mikemako
Senior User
Jul 4, 2007, 01:52 PM

I don't think converting your songs to AAC is going to make any difference. All my songs are AAC and I've had the iPod crash a few times while surfing the net. The only thing that clears it up for me is to reboot the iPhone. And it's only a temp fix - the problem comes back after a few hours.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 4, 2007, 02:05 PM

I've had the problem with AAC files downloaded from the iTunes store, so I really don't think that is the solution.

lawgone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2007, 12:27 AM

I've been having this problem to. It got to the point that the only thing that was working was the phone and weather - everything else crashed repeatedly. I would reboot, which seemed to help things for a few minutes of use but that was it. I talked to an apple genius who suggested I do a restore via iTunes. I did that and for 2 days everything ran great with no crashes whatsoever. However, tonight I was watching a youtube vid and it crashed. I then started listening to some music and while browsing through coverflow it crased again. I wasn't using any other apps concurrently either so it's not like I was overloading the thing. I've rebooted and again it's running a little better. I'm going to see how it is tomorrow. I'm going to give this thing another 2 weeks and if Apple has not released an update by then I'm going to have to return it. I mean, we're all assuming Apple is going to release an update that makes it better...but what if it doesn't? I don't want to be stuck with a $600 phone that doesn't work like it's supposed to.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2007, 12:37 AM

You can only return it within 14 days of purchase, just so you know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules