Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cube with Problems

Cube with Problems
PeterKG
Senior User
Sep 5, 2003, 11:07 AM

Hey Guys,

What is happening to my Cube? All of the sudden I was getting kernel panics every day. Today I decided to wipe the drive and do a clean install.

After installation of OSX was complete, I tried to run Software Update. It was running slow as could be. I cancelled SU and went to the Apple site to download updates, but the Cube had another Kernel Panic. I rebooted and a partially downloaded dmg file that is on the desktop won't delete. I get a message saying "The item is being used by another task right now. (Other tasks included moving, copying, or emptying the Trash.)" WTF??

My browser also crashed when I tried again to download from Apple. I ran Apple Hardware test and it found no problems. I only have my Epson printer, Soundsticks, and Epson Perfection Scanner 1650, attached. I have no idea what is happening.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Is it time to buy a G5? Thank God I have my Powerbook as a backup.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

450MHz Cube, 17" Apple LCD, 12" Powerbook, Combo Drive, 640 MB, 15GB iPod, OSX.2

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2003, 11:34 AM

Have you tried resetting your PRAM? Replacing the internal battery?

Do you have another HD you could install and see if your HD is the problem?

If you do get it worked out, I'd say sell & buy a newer G4 PowerMac if you can get a great deal, or get a G5 otherwise. Cubes are selling like mad on eBay for great prices, so it's a sellers market right now. I cleared about $600 on selling mine about a month or two ago.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

PeterKG  (op)
Senior User
Sep 5, 2003, 11:59 AM

AssassyN,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I will reset my PRAM and check out the HD and Battery. It's really weird how possible hardware problems are causing such things as Software Update, and downloading updates to fail, freeze and kernel panic.

I removed and reset my ram and Airport card. Then I re-installed OSX again and Software Update seemed to be working better this morning, but now it is frozen on installing 'Stuffit Expander Security Update". So something is still wrong.

I'm thinking I will follow your path and sell my Cube. I will start looking today for some deals on a G4 or check out the G5's. Would you get the 1.6 with added ram or 1.8?

Thanks!
Peter

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2003, 12:25 PM

It never hurts to reset your memory chips too, especially if they don't have gold plated connections.

lewdvig
Sep 5, 2003, 10:31 PM

The real problem with your cube is that it is too lovely and rare.

sigh
PowerMac MDD 1.25, 1.25GB RAM, 280 gb HDs, Superdrive+ Combo, RADEON 9000, Panther
P4 2.4C @ 3.36GHz, MSI 875P Neo, 1GB PC3200, ATI RADEON 9800 Pro, WD 160GB 8MBcache

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2003, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by PeterKG:
AssassyN,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I will reset my PRAM and check out the HD and Battery. It's really weird how possible hardware problems are causing such things as Software Update, and downloading updates to fail, freeze and kernel panic.

I removed and reset my ram and Airport card. Then I re-installed OSX again and Software Update seemed to be working better this morning, but now it is frozen on installing 'Stuffit Expander Security Update". So something is still wrong.

I'm thinking I will follow your path and sell my Cube. I will start looking today for some deals on a G4 or check out the G5's. Would you get the 1.6 with added ram or 1.8?

Thanks!
Peter
No problem! If I had to choose between the 1.6 + extra RAM and the 1.8, I'd get the 1.8. First off, it comes w/ 512MB already, and you can save up and upgrade in the near future. Also, the features it has (more RAM slots, PCI-X, etc.) make it a much better overall value.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

PeterKG  (op)
Senior User
Sep 5, 2003, 11:57 PM

Thanks man. I will start looking at the different options. I too thought the 1.8 would be the better choice.

But guess what? I got the Cube up and running again! Either zapping the PRAM or re-seating the Ram, seemed to fix the problem. I have completed the re-installation of all my stuff without a hitch at all.

This means I'm much less justified to purchase a new G5. This test of my logic (and will power). Should I wait now and see whats in the pipeline as far as new Powerbooks, or a desktop? What do you think about the iMac? No one talks much about them. Beside expandability would anyone consider theem anymore? Or are they dated?

Maybe the Cube will act up again. I hope!

Thanks for all your help!

Peter
( Last edited by PeterKG; Sep 6, 2003 at 12:02 AM. )

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2003, 12:06 AM

Advising someone to get rid of their Cube?

Blasphemy!

Seriously, as time goes on, the Cube becomes more and more of a classic, and it's very sad when they go wrong and their use looks like coming to an end. My Cube's power supply was fried a few months ago and life without the little fella was looking bleak.

I wouldn't part with my Cube if you gave me a brand new G5 1.8 to replace it with. (Maybe a dual 2.0... No! What am I saying! I'll just get a Rev B G5 2.5 and keep the Cube too.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules