Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > people waiting on 15" al repairs...

people waiting on 15" al repairs...
art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 03:59 PM

dropped my 15" al last sunday at the apple store, minneapolis. the rep told me i should get it back by wednesday of last week. to date it has not been sent back. they replaced the logic board and are waiting for a replacement screen before i get the unit back.

as i've been checking in with apple care for status reports over the past week (the repair status website only says "no information available" when i look up my case number.) i've been given a number of answers. the most shocking of them was from a fellow who told me they would get their first shipment of replacement screens this coming friday but that i was a good distance down the list. he would not venture a guess as to when i would see my machine again. not good given the machine was a mere two weeks old when i sent it in. other reps have said i would have it last friday, today, tomorrow and wednesday of this week.

wtf?

so, am i alone or are others getting vague or differing answers when they call apple care? how long have people been waiting for replacement screens?

newmanium
Oct 27, 2003, 04:51 PM

i've sent my PB for a full replacement since it was considered DOA (a purple line of dead pixels on the screen), that was almost 3 weeks ago. hopefully they're just planning to update the PB's with a new screen not susceptible to the infamous white spots everyone is talking about.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by newmanium:
i've sent my PB for a full replacement since it was considered DOA (a purple line of dead pixels on the screen), that was almost 3 weeks ago. hopefully they're just planning to update the PB's with a new screen not susceptible to the infamous white spots everyone is talking about.

3 WEEKS AGO??? wow, that blows. what have they told you about the situation?

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by art_director:
dropped my 15" al last sunday at the apple store, minneapolis. the rep told me i should get it back by wednesday of last week. to date it has not been sent back. they replaced the logic board and are waiting for a replacement screen before i get the unit back.
OMG - I bet you were feeling pretty crappy... I can't imagine the feeling of seeing your PowerBook just fall like that. One day I was placing carpet under my desk and well guess I lifted the desk more than I should have because my 19" CRT (replaced by a 19" LCD, much lighter)came crashing to the ground inches from my leg. I can remember every detail. Sorry for you dude! I'm glad their fixing it for you. Good luck...

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by spatterson:
OMG - I bet you were feeling pretty crappy... I can't imagine the feeling of seeing your PowerBook just fall like that. One day I was placing carpet under my desk and well guess I lifted the desk more than I should have because my 19" CRT (replaced by a 19" LCD, much lighter)came crashing to the ground inches from my leg. I can remember every detail. Sorry for you dude! I'm glad their fixing it for you. Good luck...

ooops, meant to say i dropped it off, not that i dropped it on the floor.

@ho
Oct 28, 2003, 12:40 AM

1 week and and nothing, it seems they still waiting for displays, Applecare ask me to call tomorrow. Well since they need to replace the screen, some cable and I think the motherboard I will insist in a new notebook.

Porco
Oct 28, 2003, 05:04 PM

Just spoke with someone at Tech Support and supposedly they are getting a shipment of LCD screens tomorrow. Now, here's hoping for a permanent fix to the white spot issue.

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Porco:
Just spoke with someone at Tech Support and supposedly they are getting a shipment of LCD screens tomorrow. Now, here's hoping for a permanent fix to the white spot issue.
I still dont think they have a fix to the lcd problem. My second one(the replacement of my first 15 inch powerbook) was built thursday afternoon and shipped right away. I got it yesterday and I must say the lcd is probably in worst condition. First there are white spots still, although they are faint. Second the lcd is totally screwed up, if I were to apply pressure to anywhere on the keyboard or on the lcd it would cause the screen to go all crazy, pixles would get all screwed up. Not to add the point that yesterday my battery life went from 40 minutes to 2 after an hour of usage.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 11:36 AM

tick tock...

this is business day #8 that apple has had my machine. no word as to when i'll get it back. they claim that i might get a new one of they can't provide a decent answer by tonight.

not holding my breath...

acedloring
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 11:41 AM

I too have been given the sam run around answer from apple. I've already sent my PB in once for repair (it came back worse than I had sent it in). They are replacing my screen, screen bezel, latch, hard drive, and logic board. I have had the computer for 5 weeks, of which only 4 days have I acutally had the opportunity to use the computer. Apple refused to give me a new/replacement powerbook. I doubt I will ever buy another apple if this is how they handle customer service. Extremely dissappointed.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 11:44 AM

tick tock...

this is business day #8 that apple has had my machine. no word as to when i'll get it back. they claim that i might get a new one of they can't provide a decent answer by tonight.

not holding my breath...
I would campaign for a new machine in a heart beat... but...

You have no guarantee that the new one will be any better. I would change model if you can.

Apple really have excelled themselves this time!

Good luck,

Marc

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 12:00 PM

i've resolved that when my machine comes, replacement or fixed, i will turn it on and check it out on the spot (being delivered to the apple store for my convenience). if there are problems i will refuse to accept it. that may not get me anywhere but another defective / unfixed machine will drive me mad, mad, mad, i tell you...

nate_02
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 12:38 PM

I sent mine in last Monday and was told I would get it back on Wednesday. When I called last Friday, they said the LCD was replaced but they were still waiting on a Hard Drive. When I called this last Monday 10/27, they told me the hard drive was replaced and they were waiting for the LCD. If this goes on much longer, I'm going to refuse to pay for a PowerBook that I can't even use.
-nate

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 02:25 PM

It appears that everyone's delay is due to the LCD panels. Hard drive, track pads fans, etc. are apparently not a problem.

That the RepairBots pointedly avoid giving an ETA for the panels probably means that Apple itself truly doesn't know when it will receive them. Someone mentioned that Apple had switched away from Samsung to a lesser-known Taiwan company. Regardless, they've had mine for a week ... still "On Hold."

P.S. Anyone getting the "No Data Available" message from the online status enquiry, try the following link:

http://customer.apple.com/repairstatus
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 09:44 AM

alas i got word from apple last night that my 15" al will be returned to my loving hands today. the repair took eight days including shippig time. now, provided the computer gods are smiling on me, there will be no more issues.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 10:22 AM

alas i got word from apple last night that my 15" al will be returned to my loving hands today. the repair took eight days including shippig time. now, provided the computer gods are smiling on me, there will be no more issues.
Good luck! Keep us posted!

nate_02
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 02:54 PM

Just checked my repair status, and it says that my PB is repaired and on its way back to me.
-nate

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 05:24 PM

uuuuuggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

last night an apple rep told me the damn thing would ship. today they say "it's still in testing."

gee, think they're just buying time?

beefstu01
Oct 30, 2003, 11:04 PM

Week 2 for me, as of today, and still no 'book back. The bottleneck is the screen, the already replaced the SuperDrive and other random parts.

nate_02
Senior User
Oct 31, 2003, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by nate_02:
Just checked my repair status, and it says that my PB is repaired and on its way back to me.
When I said it was on its way back I thought it would arrive tomorrow, but it arrived today. When I called Apple yesterday, he said that the new LCDs would come in today and from there it was a first come first serve basis. They must have come in late last night for me to have gotten my PB today.

On the Proof of Repair receipt, it says they replaced my LCD with a Samsung LCD. So if there were using a different manufacturer, it didn't take them long to switch back to Samsung. My guess is they were using Samsung all along.

I do have a slightly dark upper left corner and two dead pixels. Not sure if I am going to have it repaired again. If I do, I am going to wait about a month so I don't have to wait two weeks to get my PB back again.
-nate

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2003, 09:08 AM

today?

according to apple care my machine is on its way via airborne. should get her today. may the screen be bright and spot free and may all her pixels be functioning properly.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2003, 02:50 PM

Well that was nice ... Apple Repairperson just called and said the LCD panels were in, that my 15" AL PB was currently being repaired, and that I should receive it Monday ...

'Fingers crossed.

jcam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2003, 03:02 PM

I received my PB back today from repair...however I am at work and can't get to it yet!..UGH!!...They should have replaced LCD...hope it is a FIX to the problem and won't have same issues again.
17 in iMac
15 in Al PB

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2003, 03:44 PM

I know I really don't have to ask, but....

If all of you just now receiving your repaired PBs can post about how they look out of the box, I'd sure appreciate it.

BTW, my repair (done the week of the 13th, and subsequently re-spotted) was with a Samsung LCD.

Thanks.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2003, 04:24 PM

News of the great white spots spreads further:
http://news.com.com/2100-1044_3-5100571.html
So to those of you with newly repaired PBs, did Apple fix the problem or just replace the screen? I'd like to know because my white spots are driving me nuts, but I don't want to send it in until the problem is solved.

mmintler
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2003, 07:05 PM

I just got off the phone with Applecare. I am plagued by the white spots also. They are sending me a box and quoting 5-7 day repair time.

Even though I am just sending in my PB for a new screen...I plan on backing up my HD

I am currently using synk X to back up my HOME folders.

But, I would really like to backup everything so that I don't have to re-install my apps if something happens to my HD. System folders,prefs, and everything that makes my apps run. So that I can just "restore" my machine to what it is like now.

Can someone explain to me how to do this?

Thanks
Mark
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2003, 07:43 PM

I sent my powerbook in last week and just got it back. I had an issue with the hard drive clicking. The repair notice indicates they installed a new hard drive, and I can conclude this is true. The hard drive I received still clicks identically to the first, so I'm going to assume this is normal.
I also had the latch issue, which I failed to mention on the phone, however I notice that the latch is obviously more secure than it was, which means they fixed it. So I'm pretty confident that they did _some_ testing on my book. I'm wondering if they have a list of things to go through when they get one in, ie. check the latch, repair tension in screen, etc.
No white spots as of yet, or any permanent pixel defects.

I'm still waiting for my ADC mailing with my copy of Panther. :-)

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2003, 11:19 PM

LCD Replacement on my 15" AL PB:

Date / Status

10/31/2003 19:03:00 PT / Ready to Ship

10/31/2003 19:03:00 PT / Begin Testing

10/30/2003 18:28:00 PT / Return to Repair

Hmmmm ... didn't take long to test, did it.

machem
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2003, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by mmintler:

But, I would really like to backup everything so that I don't have to re-install my apps if something happens to my HD. System folders,prefs, and everything that makes my apps run. So that I can just "restore" my machine to what it is like now.

Can someone explain to me how to do this?

Thanks
Mark
Go get CarbonCopyCloner Here. You can either make a disk image (dmg) file, or sync/clone your HD. I cloned my 10.2.8 system/HD before I installed Panther, for example.

BTW, someone mentioned that they backed up their HD even though the screen was the only repair. ALWAYS back up your HD, even if they are going to do something as simple as replace the keyboard. You never know what those yukyuks are going to pull.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by machem:
Go get CarbonCopyCloner Here. You can either make a disk image (dmg) file, or sync/clone your HD. I cloned my 10.2.8 system/HD before I installed Panther, for example.

BTW, someone mentioned that they backed up their HD even though the screen was the only repair. ALWAYS back up your HD, even if they are going to do something as simple as replace the keyboard. You never know what those yukyuks are going to pull.
But if you have a FW800 back up drive with an Oxford chip AND leave it connected to your iBook while you install Panther ... you are immediately SOL ... left only to pray that when (and if) your 15" AL PB comes back from Apple for LCD replacement that your hard drive is intact :-(

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2003, 10:02 AM

got it!

according to the apple store my screen was replaced as was the housing - perhaps needed to get around the damage caused to the screen???

also got a new logic board.

she runs like a dream.

i hope everyone else gets their pb's fixed as well. it appears apple has aknowledged the problem and is making good.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2003, 12:37 PM

... also got a new logic board ...
Mr/Ms Art Director, please tell us that they didn't mess with your hard drive ... that it was returned just as you sent it :-)
( Last edited by mainemanx; Nov 1, 2003 at 02:51 PM. )

@ho
Nov 1, 2003, 01:06 PM

Got mine back yesterday after two weeks, the screen was replace as well as moterboard I think and small fix to the trackpad.
Just hope the white spots doesnt appear again.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2003, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by @ho:
... and small fix to the trackpad ...
What was the fix to the trackpad? I asked for a lighter action on my trackpad button ... it was far too stiff ... but I wouldn'tcall it a 'small fix.' It is, hopefully 'was,' very disconcerting.

Waiting-on-his-repaired-PB Bill

blakej
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2003, 09:35 PM

That was quick! Applecare has had mine since Oct 12, and it has still not been returned, you must have connections or raised enough heck- got any suggestions on how to speed up my return? Hope they fixed it....Please post if they did or did not fix it.

mmintler
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 03:48 PM

Got mine back today! They replaced the screen w/ a samsung model. Looks great. Latch works better now too!

So far everything else works great. It might be my imagination but I think my airport card is getting better reception.

They shipped it on Friday and I got it this morning at 10am. I think it's great they sent it Next Day fedex! Thanks Apple.

Mark
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

machem
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 03:54 PM

My replacement came today as well. Everything seems OK. No spots or pooling. Actually, there is some LCD flex/pooling, but only where I would expect it, around the edges, and in a uniform pattern, not pin-pointed.

1.25GHz, SD, 4200RPM, 1x512M. Came with 10.3.0 installed, 4.200 Ah on this new battery.

So far, so good.

acedloring
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2003, 04:40 PM

I have sent my AL 1.25 in twice for repair for white spots .The first time they sent it back with a new screen, and the new screen immediately developed white spots. The second repair they replaced the screen, the screen bezel, the motherboard and the harddrive. About a week after having it back in my hands the screen is again broken....but wait...its not white spots! Instead, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the right side of the screen is considerably darker than the left side. It is almost like there is a large fuzzy shadow starting from the bottom ride side of the screen and moving upwards and to the left. Needless to say I had a few words with an Apple rep who finally agreed that "apple and I have both spent too much time and energy on this computer." I am getting a new one. Here's hoping the new one isn't defective......

cwagar
Nov 24, 2003, 10:37 PM

Bump for those of us still in the waiting dance.

Took my 15" Al to Apple Store Lenox Square on Friday 11/21 for repair - white spots and no backlight.

Here's how it looks as of right now (Monday 11/24 21:30 ET)

11/24/2003 00:10:00 PT Hold - Awaiting Part
11/24/2003 00:00:00 PT Begin Repair
11/23/2003 23:52:00 PT Unit Received
11/21/2003 14:13:23 PT Repair Requested
11/21/2003 10:04:00 PT Request Acknowledged

Will keep you all updated.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by cwagar:
Bump for those of us still in the waiting dance.

Took my 15" Al to Apple Store Lenox Square on Friday 11/21 for repair - white spots and no backlight.

Here's how it looks as of right now (Monday 11/24 21:30 ET)

Will keep you all updated.
The guys at Lenox are Awesome... They are a real help sometimes. They are also opening a store over at North Point Mall. I think DEC 6 was the word.

iDORK
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by mmintler:
Got mine back today! They replaced the screen w/ a samsung model. Looks great. Latch works better now too!

So far everything else works great. It might be my imagination but I think my airport card is getting better reception.

They shipped it on Friday and I got it this morning at 10am. I think it's great they sent it Next Day fedex! Thanks Apple.

Mark
Glad to hear it arrived spot less! Can you post the part # listed on your proof of repair?

Mine was 646-0175 but it doesn't list the mfg. It might be an LG.

Thanks-

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2003, 02:44 AM

It's been about a week for me since the replacement. No white spots whatsover (knock on wood). I've run pixel check every day just to confirm.

I keep my 'book in a Booq PowerSleeve 15 which stays on the outmost front compartment of my backpack.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

cwagar
Nov 26, 2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by spatterson:
The guys at Lenox are Awesome... They are a real help sometimes. They are also opening a store over at North Point Mall. I think DEC 6 was the word.
Yep it's in the spot formerly occupied by American Eagle, lower level next to Brookstone.

December 6 seems to be the new date.

It's about 1 mile from my house, anyway

cwagar
Nov 26, 2003, 05:43 PM

Will keep you all updated. [/B]
No status changes as of today, Wednesday 11/26 at 5PM Eastern.

I'm glad my old TiBook had the paint problems and I kept it around as a backup

cwagar
Nov 29, 2003, 04:31 PM

Lots of updates today when I logged in:

11/29/2003 03:01:00 PT Unit Shippped/Completed
11/29/2003 02:20:00 PT Ready to Ship
11/28/2003 06:35:00 PT Begin Testing
11/28/2003 02:58:00 PT Return to Repair

So it looks like it's back on the way to me.

So 1 calendar week from drop off date to ship date. If it made it out yesterday, which is likely since these statuses are always delayed, then it should arrive Monday. That would be 6 biz / 10 calendar days, or right inside the 7-10 days quoted.

Anyone waiting on white spot repair hopefully got in this batch of parts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules