Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No help on this forum

No help on this forum
runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 01:41 PM

I asked a question about new laptop and my situation, and the only answer I got was a lowlife comment. It is obvious that you guys only talk about design and have no tips about the new G5 etc. What about also try to copy european design in your clothes and cars??!!!

And if you have some tips about but/not buy a laptop G4 today wait/ not wait for a G5 vs. buying and selling a G4 when a G5 is out, they are welcome!

runejoha
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2004, 02:08 PM

Questions like yours are way to frequent in these forums. There are fifty million people who asks these questions and we're pretty much sick of answering them. Do you need a G4 powerbook, if so go ahead and buy one now. If you dont wait for the G5 powerbooks. It's not that difficult, other then the fact that most people here tell others to stay away from first revisions, seeing how most of the bugs get fixed in 2nd revisions. It's your computer, your going to make the final decision. Try a search next time, you'll see more answers that way.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2004, 02:22 PM

Questions like yours are way to frequent in these forums. There are fifty million people who asks these questions and we're pretty much sick of answering them. Do you need a G4 powerbook, if so go ahead and buy one now. If you dont wait for the G5 powerbooks. It's not that difficult, other then the fact that most people here tell others to stay away from first revisions, seeing how most of the bugs get fixed in 2nd revisions. It's your computer, your going to make the final decision. Try a search next time, you'll see more answers that way.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2004, 02:23 PM

Its true. These boards used to be full of people who were only too happy to help anyone, no matter how small the problem, or how obvious the answer. Those days are gone.

I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer. No doubt there will be a G5 Powerbook, there's been a ton of speculation here about it. No one knows when outside of apple. Buy what you need and can afford today and set that thing to work. If you're waiting for the next big thing you'll be waiting forever. A friend of mine bought a rev a 12" pb, 1 week later the rev b's came out. Like he cares, he's still got his super nice machine thats still doing all the things he bought it to do.

And as everyone knows, the coolest macs are the old ones that are still being used to do good stuff.
tin pot, garden shed

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2004, 02:23 PM

What's the point in discussing rumors? The track record on the rumor sites is abysmal, so much so that it almost seems like they're making them up to get more website traffic. You're better off consulting an astrologer.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 02:59 PM

As iRez said before, buy it if you need it now. G5s won't be out until -- at the very earliest -- the Apple World Wide Developer's Conference in June-July 2004. That's the earliest date, and IT'S STILL SPECULATION. Rumors are difficult to confirm, and somewhat ridiculous to even discuss. If you figure you can make your ROI prior, then go for it. If not, assess what your needs are in the future, and plan accordingly. Having said that, I'd wait if you can, a couple more months for the next speed bump, and then decide whether you want to pay a premium for the newer machines or reduced prices on Rev. B 12/17" or Rev. A 15".

Send your hand in to the board so we can hold it for you.

Otherwise, you need to take a little Marketing 101 and recraft your message to get a better response. Maybe this did it.

US$.02

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Mar 1, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by runejoha:
I asked a question about new laptop and my situation, and the only answer I got was a lowlife comment. It is obvious that you guys only talk about design and have no tips about the new G5 etc. What about also try to copy european design in your clothes and cars??!!!

And if you have some tips about but/not buy a laptop G4 today wait/ not wait for a G5 vs. buying and selling a G4 when a G5 is out, they are welcome!

runejoha
Maybe if you'd take a minute to search the forum you'd discover your question has been asked many times before by many different people and has been discussed extensively. Instead, you post acerbic crap about how nobody wants to help poor you. The world doesn't revolve around you and the users of this forum aren't here to spoon feed you what you can reach yourself with 30 seconds of typing and clicking.

God.

PS - Buy one. Now.
( Last edited by fizzlemynizzle; Mar 1, 2004 at 04:05 PM. )

runejoha  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2004, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
Maybe if you'd take a minute to search the forum you'd discover your question has been asked many times before by many different people and has been discussed extensively. Instead, you post acerbic crap about how nobody wants to help poor you. The world doesn't revolve around you and the users of this forum aren't here to spoon feed you what you can reach yourself with 30 seconds of typing and clicking.

God.

PS - Buy one. Now.
Well... This IS a mac forum, and on a forum you always believe that the topic interest people. On a similar PC forum people have technical interest for what hey are doing. This was more a complaintment of the forum in general, i am not a poor guy, but i AM interest in getting contact with people that REALLY know what a Mac computer is.

If you do not know the technical og economical details arounf Apple i suggest to ignore rather than post this level of comments.

PS! Even doug americans are rasistic against muslims, I wont as a european accept this kind of low level comments.

PS! I Might buy one

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2004, 11:22 AM

PS! Even doug americans are rasistic against muslims, I wont as a european accept this kind of low level comments.
Good to see we aren't the only country churning out dumb people. What race has to do with this, I'll never know. Go figure.

Your question didn't make much sense. You want a Mac, but are considering a PC laptop because the G5 isn't out? What makes you think you need a G5 so bad? What do you do with your computer besides try to start International incidents because people are not interested in your incoherent posts on a message board in a foreign land? Buy a PowerBook G4 and use it for a couple years. I'd bet 1000 rupees it will handle everything you throw at it just fine.

Xestrel
Mar 2, 2004, 11:31 AM

I don't see what's racist about the comment unless the reader is confusing the word "acerbic" with the word "arabic". In which case, there is no racism here...

As for the tone of responses to this kind of question these days, I think it's more an indication of community frustration over the lack of an update and lack of knowledge of when/what to expect with one. I know I'm frustrated - I'm waiting to upgrade now, too.

runejoha  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2004, 11:36 AM

Acutally, I am an master of science in computer. Beside of this your answer does not deserve more comments, i leave that to other people.

runejoha

Originally posted by chrisutley:
Good to see we aren't the only country churning out dumb people. What race has to do with this, I'll never know. Go figure.

Your question didn't make much sense. You want a Mac, but are considering a PC laptop because the G5 isn't out? What makes you think you need a G5 so bad? What do you do with your computer besides try to start International incidents because people are not interested in your incoherent posts on a message board in a foreign land? Buy a PowerBook G4 and use it for a couple years. I'd bet 1000 rupees it will handle everything you throw at it just fine.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2004, 11:52 AM

Acutally, I am an master of science in computer.

runejoha
So just dive in. Whether you need a pc or a mac. If you really are a "master of science in a computer" your new laptop is just a useful tool, so stop fannying around and get on with it.

Oh, and you don't need a new computer to tell you, this has nothing to do with race.
tin pot, garden shed

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Mar 2, 2004, 11:56 AM

Well... This IS a mac forum, and on a forum you always believe that the topic interest people. On a similar PC forum people have technical interest for what hey are doing. This was more a complaintment of the forum in general, i am not a poor guy, but i AM interest in getting contact with people that REALLY know what a Mac computer is.

If you do not know the technical og economical details arounf Apple i suggest to ignore rather than post this level of comments.

PS! I Might buy one
You're right, it's a Mac forum. Not runejoha's Mac forum. There are a lot of people here that discuss a lot of things, and some topic get dragged up with such frequency that it becomes tiresome to answer the same questions over and over again. Show a little initiative and look them up, they've all been discussed here a million times. Plus, the questions you're asking are completely speculative and there's no way anyone here without the last name of Jobs could answer them with any accuracy.

Who the hell said anything about Muslims? I said "acerbic", try getting a dictionary before you spout off crap about racism. It's comforting to see that American schools aren't the only ones producing idiots. You've restored my faith.

Main Entry: acer�bic
Pronunciation: &-'s&r-bik, a-
Function: adjective
: acid in temper, mood, or tone

runejoha  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2004, 12:16 PM

>> I said "acerbic", try getting a dictionary before you spout off crap about racism. It's comforting to see that American schools aren't the only ones producing idiots. You've restored my faith.<<

This comment only proves the level of this forum as well. It is as well interesting that also worker-class americans have problems with the educated people. In Europe we often have this thin line between the right and left politics, and clever & sucsessfull people often have to listen to comments like yours (Don't think you are better than me!

If MIT is not good enough for you, I think you allreday have made a fool of yourself. (Which IS the univeristy we have agreements with in the US). Of course i am sure of this is not going to make you realize that you shout quit comment others in this forum !

It was my fault that I did not read your text good enough, again it is to easy to think that primitive americans has a problems with muslims, and my mistake is no excuse to post childish messages.

runejoha

You're right, it's a Mac forum. Not runejoha's Mac forum. There are a lot of people here that discuss a lot of things, and some topic get dragged up with such frequency that it becomes tiresome to answer the same questions over and over again. Show a little initiative and look them up, they've all been discussed here a million times. Plus, the questions you're asking are completely speculative and there's no way anyone here without the last name of Jobs could answer them with any accuracy.

Who the hell said anything about Muslims? I said "acerbic", try getting a dictionary before you spout off crap about racism. It's comforting to see that American schools aren't the only ones producing idiots. You've restored my faith.

Main Entry: acer�bic
Pronunciation: &-'s&r-bik, a-
Function: adjective
: acid in temper, mood, or tone

runejoha  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2004, 12:26 PM

You're right, it's a Mac forum. Not runejoha's Mac forum.
Well, I did not expect it to be a runejoha forum either But I do expect people with technical skills here, and if you care to see some of the answers it is obious that Apple have in average more low-lever users than PC, at least for development.

For the record, my main reason to consider to change to mac is to use a RISC like arch. This is because i use applications which runs better in a arch. with static lenght of operations and with floatingpoints. As well i need a better screen, I have problems to watch a high-res pc screen on a laptop over any hours.

runejoha

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2004, 12:28 PM

JUST LEAVE YOU WEENIE!!!!!!!!

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2004, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
JUST LEAVE YOU WEENIE!!!!!!!!
I was waiting to hear it.

The first thing you did, runejoha, was try to insult us because your trivial question wasn't answered. Not a good way to get a lot of sympathy if you haven't figure that out already.

That being said, do what's what's been recommended a few times in this thread. Your question (specifically whether to buy or wait) has been asked by many and answered by even more. There's a handy search box at the top right of every forum that allows you to search threads in that specific forum. Give it a whirl.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2004, 12:50 PM

RTFF (damn windows keyboard, i can't trademark(^TM) it.

new acronym, you figure it out.

rather than try to be the center of attention, read a few thread titles, surf around, do a search (the search feature on this forum works so well!).

but please, don't bitch about people on these forums not spoon feeding you a personallized answer, that has been posted at least 10 times before, in 10 different threads.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2004, 01:17 PM

As it has been stated before, This topic has been covered a million times on the forums. Since I'm in a good mood today I'll give you an answer to the question, again.

First, the current crop of G4 Powerbooks is excellent. If you need one right away then just go out and get it. The G5's probably won't be out til at least later this year. When they do come out most people usually wait til at least the second rev before getting one. If you follow this rule you will be waiting at least a year and a half if not a little longer before getting one. So Just get one use it and buy a G5 when the time is right.

Second, If you not in a dire need of one quite yet wait. There will be a refresh pretty soon for the current crop of Powerbooks. If you want to wait and get a rev A G5 then do that.

No one can tell you really what to do since it's ultimately YOUR decision what YOU want to do. If you can wait then wait if not just plunge right in and get one. Hope this Answers your question in a not so rude way.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

velodev
Senior User
Mar 2, 2004, 02:03 PM

PS! I Might buy one
Huh?

Chill out before happens. No one said anything about Muslims.

velodev
Senior User
Mar 2, 2004, 02:05 PM

Acutally, I am an master of science in computer. Beside of this your answer does not deserve more comments, i leave that to other people.

runejoha
Wow, for a second I thought you were a language scholar.

velodev
Senior User
Mar 2, 2004, 02:10 PM

If MIT is not good enough for you, I think you allreday have made a fool of yourself. (Which IS the univeristy we have agreements with in the US). Of course i am sure of this is not going to make you realize that you shout quit comment others in this forum !
I should have just consolidated all of my thoughts in one post, sorry for the series.

Ahem, you are going to MIT and you can't decide what type of laptop to get? And you say you have a Master's in Computer Science?

From this point forward you have lost all creditability in my books. I honestly can not believe you need support from a forum to decide what type of laptop to buy. You even said you need RISC architecture... why even bring up PC laptops? Doesn't MIT give laptops to students as part of tuition? When I went to Columbia I believe a couple students I knew had laptops provided to them.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2004, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by velodev:
Doesn't MIT give laptops to students as part of tuition? When I went to Columbia I believe a couple students I knew had laptops provided to them.
nope, mit doenst give anyone one anything for free

i think this guy was trying to say that a university in his school had some agreement with MIT and therefore it was as good as MIT... seriously, i can't understand the point he is trying to get across

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Mar 2, 2004, 04:38 PM

If everyone on the Internet that claimed they went to MIT really did they'd have a billion graduates, LOL.

I went to MIT, I'm a rocket scientist, a rock star and a model.

beanman
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2004, 05:46 PM

Well, I did not expect it to be a runejoha forum either But I do expect people with technical skills here, and if you care to see some of the answers it is obious that Apple have in average more low-lever users than PC, at least for development.
I'm a broadcast engineer with a degree in neuropsychology... And now I need a degree from MIT to use an Apple? Crap, I'm screwed. And I hope it's not against the law because I've been doing it since I was three.

Get a 15" G4, use it until the G5 comes out, and sell it off to a starving, MIT student when that time comes. If a G5 is so important, drop drawer on a desktop.

PowerBook 17" | 1GHz | 1Gb RAM | 60G

Tomster
Senior User
Mar 3, 2004, 01:11 AM

I went to MIT, I'm a rocket scientist, a rock star and a model. [/B]
Oh my God, are you... Buckaroo Banzai? No, wait, he was a neurosurgeon/race car driver/rockstar.

Just trying to put a little humor in an otherwise lame discussion. Got a MS in CS and you need an internet forum to figure out which computer to buy? Riiight.... Sounds like a troll.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

runejoha  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2004, 08:21 AM

Fist, fist a thanks to typoon for a good answer, so 1 of 10 messages is worthly to read here. 2nd, for the people that have a problem with the fact that my motherlanguage isn't english I recommend you to re-apply for the secondary school. (and as well to comunicate in norwegian, french and spanish...)

I still believe that the technical level is poor here Even dough my level of x86 arch. is good i have always believed to ask the "floor" about their opinions. This time i did a mistake.

runejoha

Originally posted by Tomster:
Oh my God, are you... Buckaroo Banzai? No, wait, he was a neurosurgeon/race car driver/rockstar.

Just trying to put a little humor in an otherwise lame discussion. Got a MS in CS and you need an internet forum to figure out which computer to buy? Riiight.... Sounds like a troll.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2004, 10:22 AM

Fist, fist a thanks to typoon for a good answer, so 1 of 10 messages is worthly to read here. 2nd, for the people that have a problem with the fact that my motherlanguage isn't english I recommend you to re-apply for the secondary school. (and as well to comunicate in norwegian, french and spanish...)

I still believe that the technical level is poor here Even dough my level of x86 arch. is good i have always believed to ask the "floor" about their opinions. This time i did a mistake.

runejoha
You are quite welcome for that good answer. Luckily you caught me in a good mood yesterday or after reading your post would probably have gone off on a tirade of some type. Hope my suggestions help.

runejoha  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2004, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by typoon:
You are quite welcome for that good answer. Luckily you caught me in a good mood yesterday or after reading your post would probably have gone off on a tirade of some type. Hope my suggestions help.
Honestly, I can't understand why a question about powerbook G5 can be that provocating, and there are few questions about the value of a G4, which is a fact you should have more opinions about in average. 2nd, a new update of the powerbook will be a G5, not a G4 (it is allready out of date), so you think that todays model will still "live" on until next year or atumn.(?)

runejoha

stevek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2004, 12:11 PM

First of all I wouldn't be too shocked at the replies you received. Don't take it as having anything to do with your racial or educational background. People here could care less I'm sure. It all comes down to how the post was written.

At a place like this, questions comparing the possibility of a G5 powerbook to today's models happens way too often I'm sure. The obvious answer to that question is how bad do you need it? It's safe to assume that when the G5 powerbook finally does show up it will have a high price tag and most likely a new design. As with the current powerbook iterations, many will agree that it took apple a couple revisions to the pb design to "get it right". Who knows what will happen with a G5 powerbook.

All I know is that Apple continues to release speed upgrades to the G4 processor so they are obviously not abandoning it for the G5 entirely. As speeds of the G5 climb above 2ghz and into 3ghz land, I have no doubt that a 1.25ghz G4 would be able to keep up as well as could be expected and would still be very useable. The technical differences are obvious... with Apple products it really just comes down to how much do you want to spend?

Try not to insult the intelligence of an entire forum of mac users without correctly stating your question. There are a lot of smart people here.
I have a TiBook. I have an iPod. Life is good.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2004, 01:08 PM

Honestly, I can't understand why a question about powerbook G5 can be that provocating, and there are few questions about the value of a G4, which is a fact you should have more opinions about in average. 2nd, a new update of the powerbook will be a G5, not a G4 (it is allready out of date), so you think that todays model will still "live" on until next year or atumn.(?)

runejoha
It's not that it's Provocating it's that this question has been asked so many times already. I don't mind answering it again but you can only answer it so many times before you become sick of answering it and get annoyed when people ask the question.
Yes I do think the next revision of the Powerbook will be a G4. I think either that one or the revision after will be the final revision before the G5 powerbook. I think Apple will Update the iMac to G5 before it updates the Powerbook to G5. The iMac is due for a refresh/upgrade sooner than the Powerbooks so that might be the case. I think the Powerbook will reach maybe 1.5GHz or a little greater before it is switched to G5.

galaga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by iomatic:
Send your hand in to the board so we can hold it for you.
Hilarious!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2004, 04:18 PM

1) workerbee was kind enough to do your work for you and search out about ten threads asking the EXACT SAME QUESTION.

2) The real problem, and it doesn't take a computer science major to work it out, is that NOBODY KNOWS.

3) The other aspect is that any computer you buy now will "live" for as long as it does the work you bought it for, regardless of what comes out. There is *always* a next model.

-s*

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
1) workerbee was kind enough to do your work for you and search out about ten threads asking the EXACT SAME QUESTION.

2) The real problem, and it doesn't take a computer science major to work it out, is that NOBODY KNOWS.

3) The other aspect is that any computer you buy now will "live" for as long as it does the work you bought it for, regardless of what comes out. There is *always* a next model.

-s*
Amen to that.

Apple usually will upgrade the oldest model line first. That is now the iMac Line. Which will get a refresh/upgrade first. The most likely either the eMac or G5 line then Powerbook line. The G5 and Powerbook lines may get minor refreshes during this time but nothing Major. Also the 3G iPods are starting to get a little Dated too with the release of the Mini and it's AWESOME scroll wheel. So I think in that time we may also see a 4G iPod as well.

The iMac on the other hand is starting to get dated and hasn't been upgraded in a while. So that will Probably get the first upgrade with new technologies and stuff.

medmuse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2004, 02:32 PM

Excuse me for butting in but actually, the guy was a troll.
"If I was educated I would be a damn fool."
Bob Marley

runejoha  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2004, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by medmuse:
Excuse me for butting in but actually, the guy was a troll.

ME?

regards
runejoha

Forum Links
Forum Rules